Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-05-2013, 11:50 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello! My name is Audrey. I found this forum through The Thinking Atheist Facebook Page. I enjoy the facebook posts and thought I'd come over here to see how the discussion is. So far this looks like a very nice forum. Lots to read. Have a nice day everyone!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes LadyValkyrie37's post
14-05-2013, 01:10 PM
I am a full time working mom with 7 kids in Alaska.

I use to think there was something more and it protected my son from being killed when hit by a truck, but then our daughter needed heart surgery, the same daughter got a massive brain tumor and later needed donor knee replacement for a genetic disease that causes deterioration of her bones, another daughter got cancer, we had several miscarriages.... By the end of all this I no longer believed in any divine deity or higher power. I felt I had suffered enough on my own for any sins I may have committed and it made no sense what my kids, innocent kids, were being punished for. I no longer believed in god or angels and if there was a god he wasn't one I wanted to follow. My own life was filled with pain and abuse and I held firm to that with no reward until my own kids were hurting and simply determined there is no god at all.
The older I get the more news I hear, the more facts I learn, the more my believe there is nothing more than the here and now is all we have.
I am very pro-life (more accurately anti-abortion)- if there was some great father in heaven why would he let babies the baby says he knows in the womb be ripped about? And it goes from there to kids abused after birth, to children murdered, youth homeless and neglected. I would die for my kids to prevent them any pain, I would never knowingly and willingly cause them pain.
Feels great to finally find a place I can read, discuss, and feel I am not alone or a freak for how I believe.

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes AlaskaMom's post
14-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Smile My name is Ashley, I'm 26 and I'm terribly awkward with introductions? I've been an atheist for quite some time (never really took to religion to begin with) but more recently I've been a lot more open about it with people. I'm tired of having god shoved down my throat everywhere I turn like it's the answer to everything. So I'm looking to talk to more like minded people.
[+] 1 user Likes empyreus's post
14-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Welcome n00bs Smile
14-05-2013, 06:09 PM
You will often see me refer to myself as the "Old Fart Scientist". I have found the sciences fascinating as long back as I can remember. I also found a particular interest in the space program as it evolved after Sputnik. My credentials became a bit more "official" when I completed my BSc in '73.

I found I had a talent for computers in the late '60's and ended up spending a career of 40+ years in system management and technology planning. Funny though, I still kept an eye on the sciences and used a lot of "scientific method" in my work. I was also lucky to work around the world of engineering and aerospace most of my career.

I largely gave up on "religion" in the 1960's having decided that most religious institutions were just another power structure. Ever since I read a good chunk of the Bible, I wrote it off as a lot of unsubstantiated folk tales. Subsequent study has not improved my opinion. I am not sure exactly when I decided that there were no gods - or at least none that would give a damn about a bunch of whiny folks on some backwater planet.

I somehow lost track of my original credentials but I have been enjoying a lot of Seth's work in recent years and have often commented on videos and dropped Seth the odd email when I though I had something worth his time to read.

Enough bluther about me for now. You at least have some reference when my name pops up.
[+] 2 users Like rdvqc's post
15-05-2013, 03:44 PM
(14-05-2013 06:09 PM)rdvqc Wrote:  You will often see me refer to myself as the "Old Fart Scientist". I have found the sciences fascinating as long back as I can remember. I also found a particular interest in the space program as it evolved after Sputnik. My credentials became a bit more "official" when I completed my BSc in '73.

I found I had a talent for computers in the late '60's and ended up spending a career of 40+ years in system management and technology planning. Funny though, I still kept an eye on the sciences and used a lot of "scientific method" in my work. I was also lucky to work around the world of engineering and aerospace most of my career.

I largely gave up on "religion" in the 1960's having decided that most religious institutions were just another power structure. Ever since I read a good chunk of the Bible, I wrote it off as a lot of unsubstantiated folk tales. Subsequent study has not improved my opinion. I am not sure exactly when I decided that there were no gods - or at least none that would give a damn about a bunch of whiny folks on some backwater planet.

I somehow lost track of my original credentials but I have been enjoying a lot of Seth's work in recent years and have often commented on videos and dropped Seth the odd email when I though I had something worth his time to read.

Enough bluther about me for now. You at least have some reference when my name pops up.

From one old fart to another..welcome. BTW, when I was a kid we had a cat named Sputnik.
16-05-2013, 06:12 AM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Whew! It has been quite a ride getting here. I got the first message but no activation code. Turns out that the activation code was seen as junk mail by my system. Strange.

I was a solid (Baptist Christian) for almost 4 decades. Deacon, teacher, men's fellowship leader, preaching in various venues, etc., etc. My training and work was in the field of chemistry. The science training finally resulted in a long and difficult break. After retiring from Dupont I taught in two different Christian schools for almost 8 years. After almost 5 years in a school here in Maine, I objected to a speaker that said the universe is 6000 years old. 3 months after several 'repent or go to Hell' meetings with the school board (no members with a college degree) I was fired. After 2 years of intense bible study it became obvious the the god of the Bible is a fraud. Tried for several years to find a fundamentalist preacher that would prove me wrong but got no answers and lots of grief.

I plan to spend a lot of days just reading posts to see what this group is all about before posting much. One problem I'd like to discuss is the word atheist. There is surely no Biblical God and probably none other, but "atheist" does not cover who I am as I can't say there is not God anywhere. Can the definition be changed or should another word or phrase be chosen or invented.

Bob

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it. (Václav Havel)
[+] 1 user Likes BobLewis's post
16-05-2013, 06:04 PM
glad to have found this place where we can be ourselves. loving atheist construction worker, who despite public education, is scientificly literate. big shout out to ma man neil degrasse tyson. but expecially seth and the crew for making a haven for this bunch of heathens.

something cliche about stuffEvil_monster
17-05-2013, 05:40 AM
(16-05-2013 06:04 PM)jetbebop Wrote:  glad to have found this place where we can be ourselves. loving atheist construction worker, who despite public education, is scientificly literate. big shout out to ma man neil degrasse tyson. but expecially seth and the crew for making a haven for this bunch of heathens.

I find it interesting that you would not eliminate religion. 15 years or so ago on a local religion/anti religion discussion site we had a lot of talk about the subject. It appeared that it was split about 50/50. I'd like to see it disappear slowly over a few generations. A sudden disappearance would be disaster for many people.

Bob

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it. (Václav Havel)
17-05-2013, 07:14 AM
(16-05-2013 06:12 AM)BobLewis Wrote:  
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Whew! It has been quite a ride getting here. I got the first message but no activation code. Turns out that the activation code was seen as junk mail by my system. Strange.

I was a solid (Baptist Christian) for almost 4 decades. Deacon, teacher, men's fellowship leader, preaching in various venues, etc., etc. My training and work was in the field of chemistry. The science training finally resulted in a long and difficult break. After retiring from Dupont I taught in two different Christian schools for almost 8 years. After almost 5 years in a school here in Maine, I objected to a speaker that said the universe is 6000 years old. 3 months after several 'repent or go to Hell' meetings with the school board (no members with a college degree) I was fired. After 2 years of intense bible study it became obvious the the god of the Bible is a fraud. Tried for several years to find a fundamentalist preacher that would prove me wrong but got no answers and lots of grief.

I plan to spend a lot of days just reading posts to see what this group is all about before posting much. One problem I'd like to discuss is the word atheist. There is surely no Biblical God and probably none other, but "atheist" does not cover who I am as I can't say there is not God anywhere. Can the definition be changed or should another word or phrase be chosen or invented.

Bob

Welcome, Bob.

Many (most?) of us here are agnostic atheists. That is, we don't believe in any gods but we can't prove there aren't any.

There are many types of believers and non-believers; stick around and you'll see.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
Thread Closed