Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
17-05-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
42 year old mom of 3 boys 20, 17, and 12
Admitted to myself and still christian husband that I'm atheist/agnostic about 5 months ago. 20 yr christian. Church leader, worship singer etc...

Just finished my "coming out" letter. Have NOT sent it yet. Family and friends will be shocked. Was wondering if there is a specific place here on the forum for those? It would be great to get feedback.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like thinkingmom's post
17-05-2013, 12:17 PM
(17-05-2013 12:03 PM)thinkingmom Wrote:  Just finished my "coming out" letter. Have NOT sent it yet. Family and friends will be shocked. Was wondering if there is a specific place here on the forum for those? It would be great to get feedback.

By all means post it as a thread... atheism & theism, or indeed introductions will do well enough I'm sure Smile Welcome to the forum...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm a 43ish recovering christian. I was an atheist at a young age, and entered into "christendom" in my 30's when I asked the question is this all there is. I went so far that I even planned on going into ministry as a christian counselor. This was probably the beginning of the end, because I already knew scripture was usually twisted to serve its twister, but I realized how badly so in the world of christian counseling. While that put me off on the counseling end, I stayed in school and got a wonderfully useless degree in religion that I'm still paying for. I wouldn't call my self an atheist though, because I can not hold myself that tightly to one side or the other anymore, nor can I say agnostic. I think deist is fitting for where I am right now because when we finally are able to break down exactly how and why everything IS we will come to something as a "prime mover" even if we can explain exactly what it is that started it all, it will at least be SOMETHING, and the deistic idea of creator can be put on that, I'm not saying it deserves worship, but it is what started it all, and my username is a reflection of that.
18-05-2013, 10:58 AM
(17-05-2013 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 06:12 AM)BobLewis Wrote:  Whew! It has been quite a ride getting here. I got the first message but no activation code. Turns out that the activation code was seen as junk mail by my system. Strange.

I was a solid (Baptist Christian) for almost 4 decades. Deacon, teacher, men's fellowship leader, preaching in various venues, etc., etc. My training and work was in the field of chemistry. The science training finally resulted in a long and difficult break. After retiring from Dupont I taught in two different Christian schools for almost 8 years. After almost 5 years in a school here in Maine, I objected to a speaker that said the universe is 6000 years old. 3 months after several 'repent or go to Hell' meetings with the school board (no members with a college degree) I was fired. After 2 years of intense bible study it became obvious the the god of the Bible is a fraud. Tried for several years to find a fundamentalist preacher that would prove me wrong but got no answers and lots of grief.

I plan to spend a lot of days just reading posts to see what this group is all about before posting much. One problem I'd like to discuss is the word atheist. There is surely no Biblical God and probably none other, but "atheist" does not cover who I am as I can't say there is not God anywhere. Can the definition be changed or should another word or phrase be chosen or invented.

Bob

Welcome, Bob.

Many (most?) of us here are agnostic atheists. That is, we don't believe in any gods but we can't prove there aren't any.

There are many types of believers and non-believers; stick around and you'll see.

Hi Chas,

Someone wrote to me from an American Atheist office that the definition of atheist was set by a Christian or Christians. as a pejorative.
I'd like to see the definition changed to fit actual use. I usually tell people that I am a nontheist (not a real word as far as I know) and then define it as one who does not believe in any god but does admit that there may be a God somewhere. Is there any way a group as large as atheists can create a new word that defines most of us?

Bob

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it. (Václav Havel)
18-05-2013, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2013 11:29 AM by undergroundp.)
Hello everyone!
I finally decided to join this forum in hopes of finding people who will understand the pains of an atheist who just can't stop debating annoying Christians (that is, only the annoying ones, I don't enjoy provoking innocent people Angel ).

I'm a 23 year old female from Greece and I've been an atheist since I realized there was no reason to believe in any god, which happened rather suddenly around the age of 13-14, when I started getting familiar with basic philosophy.

Sadly, religion-wise, my country is one of the least friendly towards atheism (highschool courses on religion are mandatory and only refer to the Greek religion, there are paintings of Jesus everywhere in schools, kids have to pray every morning before class). Luckily enough, both my parents were rather indifferent towards religion and never talked about god (my grandma made me go to church though, tough years Dodgy ).

I've grown up to realize that religion is unnecessary and even harmful in some cases. I hope to see a world where religion will have faded away like an old fairytale, replaced by rational thinking, humanism and scientific progress.

Well, that's all for now, see you around Big Grin

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
18-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Rainbow RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
hey im red im new- i know strange name but hey blame my parents they waned me to be diffrent. Heart
im woman who tends to listen to the news and have a debate with the tv , anoying my fammily to no ends /so here i am taking my words and rants to the world. Enjoy!
love redxx :bowing
19-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Howdy,

I'm Lloyd; 30 years old with two children (7 and 6). I have been agnostic for about 10 years but didn't really realize it until about three years ago as I was brought up as a child "knowing" God was there, so even though I questioned I didn't put a name to the questioning. I didn't bring it up or mention it to anyone until about one year ago and then shortly after that I decided that while my scientific mind can never prove nor disprove the existence of God, why should I place more requirements on that then on Unicorns? If I could say, without hesitation, that unicorns were not real until proven so, then why do I call myself Agnostic? With that I chose to be an Atheist.

Since then I've lost a few life long friends, but thankfully no family.

Been a listener at the page now for a while and just now decided that I wanted to join in and maybe talk to some like minded individuals instead of reading all of the religious posts on Facebook.
19-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm Kat. If you haven't guessed, I like reptiles, and have several snakes and a few lizards for pets, along with a dog and a cat. I'm a middle-aged mom of a 22 year old son, currently married to a recovering Mormon, and previously married to a hippy who spent a few years dealing with his fear of death and dying by turning into a Conservative Christian who wanted to be at church every time the doors were open and he was physically able to get there. He died from lack of affordable health care and diabetes, along with all the ugly co-morbidities that untreated diabetes bring to the front, with the final straw being stage 4 colon cancer.

My son and I watched him decline into the depths of despair and trying to come to the reality that he was dying. As a supportive family, we took him to church once or twice a week, maintained compassion even in the face of his eventual decline and submission to the illnesses, and through it all, when my son and I were anywhere alone, I'd remind him that Johnny is just afraid of dying, that he needs his church/religion/god like it was a security blanket. We went to many different special events that the church had, and I found the majority of things the pastor did to be selfless, kind, and vital to quite a few people. He specialized in helping gang-bangers leave their criminal past, didn't judge anyone for their past mistakes, and helped them transition to a productive life. It was the cherry-picking and interpretation of the bible that I never could sign on to, and never will.

Meanwhile, I was raised to be a Critical Thinking, Nature & Science-loving, Superstition-questioning, Skeptical Agnostic, and as an adult, I realized that my mom was right, God was created in Man's flawed image. Smile Therefore, there are no deities, and religion is just a method of crowd control of the highest magnitude. (She's pretty intelligent, if I do say so myself.)

My father's side of the family have some Christians, and some Agnostics, and I was surprised when my father expressed surprise when I told him that I was an Atheist, after going to church for several years with Johnny. You do what you can to help the ones you love, but belief? That's another story entirely. My father's own mom is 90 years old, believes with her heart that there is a god, but also firmly believes in free will, and ardently supports many progressive social issues. My Aunts are a little further gone down the path so it's hard to convince them that I don't look down on them for their belief, but won't join them on that path.

My son, when asked, calls himself an Incarnationist, after the Incarnations of Immortality fantasy series written by Piers Anthony. It's mostly to avoid confrontation, and just a part of who he is. He named his Bearded Dragon after the Incarnation of Time. Smile

My current husband, is an interesting case study... He is a Black man, with albinism, who found Mormonism as a teen, was an "elder" for a few years, but won't give up Coca-Cola, and when it came time to get married to his first wife, was not too keen on the Mormon custom of confessing all their past (sexual) transgressions in front of everyone before getting married, so he left. He tries to tell me what his beliefs are, but they are so different from any religion I've ever heard about, that I can't really wrap my head around it. It's something like a cross between Mormonism's belief that if you're a full-blown believer, special garments and all, you can become a god yourself when you die, and some bit of "sci-fi aliens were our ancestors" and some other something I can't quite understand. He tries to explain it once in a while when I ask him about it, and then he sees my eyes glaze over. It isn't quite the Scientology stuff, but it's in the same Sci-Fi genre. LOL He supports my Atheism, and promised me before we married that he'd never go back to Mormonism or Christianity again. His sci-fi stuff he can believe, as long as he doesn't get wrapped up in Scientology, since we can't afford that cult. LOL

Sorry, this was a bit long...

Kat
[+] 1 user Likes Katsnake's post
19-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Welcome Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
19-05-2013, 07:26 PM
(19-05-2013 10:10 AM)LloydSev Wrote:  Howdy,

I'm Lloyd; 30 years old with two children (7 and 6). I have been agnostic for about 10 years but didn't really realize it until about three years ago as I was brought up as a child "knowing" God was there, so even though I questioned I didn't put a name to the questioning. I didn't bring it up or mention it to anyone until about one year ago and then shortly after that I decided that while my scientific mind can never prove nor disprove the existence of God, why should I place more requirements on that then on Unicorns? If I could say, without hesitation, that unicorns were not real until proven so, then why do I call myself Agnostic? With that I chose to be an Atheist.

Since then I've lost a few life long friends, but thankfully no family.

Been a listener at the page now for a while and just now decided that I wanted to join in and maybe talk to some like minded individuals instead of reading all of the religious posts on Facebook.

Welcome and join the fray!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Thread Closed