Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-05-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
A wonderful and good day to all who's eyes find these words. I go by Nahli nearly everywhere so I will here as well. I was brought to these boards by a love of science and an enjoyment of things rational. I was raised as Mormon by my father and as a cultural Christian by my mother. I gave up both of the religions I was raised with, in whit I imagine was an odd method. As I pictured things then, gods were powered by belief. With the belief that is put to the christian god being so chaotic and disarrayed I viewed it as impotent. Given that I was there by stronger, it didn't deserve my belief. Mind you all in reference my father took me often to the then profit of god, for the Mormon religion who on my first visit went wide eyed and claimed that I held an army, an angelic host at mt beck and call. Hooray, childhood megalomania. Once I calmed the heck down and stopped being a punk kid, I tried my hand at Paganism, Druidism, Animism and Therianthropy as spiritual beliefs. None on those worked quite right for me either. At this point I am researching each religion and god or goddess until I am able to disprove each one in turn. However I have either lived a life that has seemed far too wrought with coincidence, or my auto-deceptive programming is too deep. I still think that there is potentially a positive use for faith in the spiritual sense, a use I am still hunting, or perhaps growing.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Nahli's post
20-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Ahlan! Hello to everyone here at the forums. I have been listening to Seth's podcast for a while now and I'm starting to become more active in the atheist movement so I decided to join the forums here; first things first right? I have never had any religion, because I wasn't raised with any (thank you Jesus!) but I used to consider myself a pantheist. Well I eventually realized that that was an unnecessary band-aid for something or other, so once I finally took that last step and deleted that one last "god" I have never been happier or felt stronger. Anyway, I'll try to be as active as possible in the forums and I really hope everyone here likes to have good conversations as much as I do. I guess I should also add that I am a college student in the US and I am learning Arabic (just for fun, it's actually a great language) and the word ahlan is a very common form of hello, so get used to it! Cheers!
22-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Hello all normal people. Nice to be here.

I was born an atheist, thank god! (pun intended) and remained so throughout my childhood, young adulthood and now older adulthood. I wish to thank my wonderful parents for letting me think for myself, along with my two brothers and sister, and living life completely unencumbered by Bronze Age writers. Good job Mom and Dad and thank you.

I was a ballet dancer, still take classes though, and have pursued many art forms. Through the pursuit of the arts I have made little money but found great contentment and adventure.

This is a wonderful forum and website and I have been lurking here for a while, drinking in the conversations. Now I can join in.

Dancefortwo

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Hello

I am a recently converted atheist, I had been indoctrinated in Christianity my whole life and have spent over a decade trying to break those chains. While I am finally able come to terms with my atheism, my parents and family in general are not so I have to be a closet atheist in order to keep some sort of peace of mind. Sad
22-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Sup, errybody! I'm a 32 year old male currently in the Army and stationed in Alaska. I officially started calling myself an atheist about 1 1/2 years ago and have been very open about it for the past 5 months. I've always had the doubt, I just had to rid myself of the fear. I am and always have been HUNGRY for knowledge, so if anyone wants to share any experiences, wisdom, or general info about atheism or skepticism I'm always ready to listen.

Hate is simply aggressive fear. Educate yourself so that you might avoid it.
23-05-2013, 06:27 AM
(22-05-2013 10:58 PM)Masterlovett Wrote:  if anyone wants to share any experiences, wisdom, or general info about atheism or skepticism I'm always ready to listen.

Don't touch the baby in the fridge, it's getting old. We keep meaning to throw it out... but no one's gotten around to it yet.
23-05-2013, 07:36 PM
My name is Drew. I'm from Green Bay, WI. I'm an avid amateur astronomer that enjoys participating in outreach events and is hoping to gain admission to the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh's physics program to pursue a degree in Astronomy this Fall at the tender age of 34 (while holding down a full time job).

[Image: 5832734387516346290?pid=5832734387516346...4448791655]

Having been raised in a Christian fundamentalist household, I am now an atheist and proponent of science education. I've spent the majority of my adult life unlearning the religious programming I received growing up. I stand in awe of human achievement and am humbled by our current understanding of our place in the universe.

I enjoy studying (physics, biology and philosophy), writing on my blog and posting nature/astronomy pictures and videos on YouTube.

Front Yard Astronomy Blog / YouTube

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church.”
-Ferdinand Magellan
24-05-2013, 02:44 AM
(23-05-2013 06:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-05-2013 10:58 PM)Masterlovett Wrote:  if anyone wants to share any experiences, wisdom, or general info about atheism or skepticism I'm always ready to listen.

Don't touch the baby in the fridge, it's getting old. We keep meaning to throw it out... but no one's gotten around to it yet.

So you mean to say that we don't get to eat babies here? Screw this! I'm out! **Throws hands in the air and cartwheels off stage**

Hate is simply aggressive fear. Educate yourself so that you might avoid it.
24-05-2013, 05:57 AM
(24-05-2013 02:44 AM)Masterlovett Wrote:  So you mean to say that we don't get to eat babies here? Screw this! I'm out! **Throws hands in the air and cartwheels off stage**

No I mean that particular baby is... shall we say... over mature Tongue Fresh baby is where it's at...
24-05-2013, 06:53 AM
(18-05-2013 10:58 AM)BobLewis Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome, Bob.

Many (most?) of us here are agnostic atheists. That is, we don't believe in any gods but we can't prove there aren't any.

There are many types of believers and non-believers; stick around and you'll see.

Hi Chas,

Someone wrote to me from an American Atheist office that the definition of atheist was set by a Christian or Christians. as a pejorative.
I'd like to see the definition changed to fit actual use. I usually tell people that I am a nontheist (not a real word as far as I know) and then define it as one who does not believe in any god but does admit that there may be a God somewhere. Is there any way a group as large as atheists can create a new word that defines most of us?

Bob

I call myself atheist. I lack any belief in any gods. Technically, I am an agnostic atheist as I have no proof that there is no god of any kind.

There is also the 'Dawkins Scale', where 1 = Theist who absolutely knows there is a God to 7 = Atheist who knows absolutely that there is no god.

I'm a 6.999 on the Dawkins Scale.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed