Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Been listnening to the podcast for the past few months, and finally decided to join the forum. Glad to be here, and thankful that this place exists!
Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi guys, my name is Chris (oh the irony) and I'm a long time Atheist, going on 12+ years now, and I've been immersed in the world of science and been a huge fan of Dawkins, Mahr and others but I've just discovered this community and started digging on Seth's podcasts. I'm a web developer by trade and I specialize in dynamic web applications (Drupal Backend) and interactive visual experiences(JS games and apps).

I'm formerly Roman Catholic. I even did the whole alter boy thing (thankfully sans-fondling) and I even taught sunday school before I left at the age of 15 or 16 despite (or maybe because of) being in a Catholic school and having parents who forced me to attend services and confessions regardless (nothing quite like getting into a little box and telling a priest you think he is full of it over and over again). I still remember a few dramatic moments during daily religion courses when I dared to point out contradictions and had the collective occupants of a crowded catholic school stairwell gasping at my blunt declaration of Atheism when pressed on the matter. Needless to say the whole thing has left me a bit bitter when it comes to the church.

My fiancee is Lutheran although she doesn't practice or seem to give a crap (she frequently sites Pascal's Wager though not by name) except for when it comes to pleasing her parents by half-assedly indoctrinating my lovely 15 month old daughter and it's strange that after 12 years of discourse over the matter my parents are actually my biggest allies when it comes to this stuff.

...I could go on and on but I'll save it for more topical threads where perhaps my experiences can help others and their experiences can help me.

It's great to find community in the vastness of the universe and I look forward to discussions with you all!

-Chris

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Hello,

I'm Mark. I'm in the Air Force for another year and will be pursuing a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. I was born and baptised a Roman Catholic but oddly enough I found my own way around age 7 (Age of Reasoning). I saw thought too much and questioned my way out of that world and haven't looked back. My parents were cool with it and respected whatever spiritual past I would decide (or not decide) to follow so long as I grow up a good person.

Anyways I've been a practicing Mahayana Buddhist for about 7 years now and I'm wondering, since there is no god or any kind of diety under the Mahayana, would that allow me to call myself an Atheist? I live and learn through the human experience which is the basis of Buddhist practice. Siddhartha Gautama, after becoming a Buddha (enlightened one) said to his students to never blindly follow teachings or do things because everyone else is doing it. Question everything and seek true understanding through analytical experience and reasoning. On top of all this I naturally don't believe in the existence of god.

I love that there are more forums like this one popping up. I look forward to thinking with other non-believers. A philosopher once said that true belief is knowledge.
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
(06-06-2013 03:17 PM)Zazen Wrote:  Anyways I've been a practicing Mahayana Buddhist for about 7 years now and I'm wondering, since there is no god or any kind of diety under the Mahayana, would that allow me to call myself an Atheist?
AFAIK, def of atheist is lack of belief in a God. Note that I say lack of belief and not assertion of the lack of a God... some people think the distinction is important, is all. However, given that definition, I think you can call yourself an Atheist. Or a tree. You could call yourself a tree.

Quote: I live and learn through the human experience which is the basis of Buddhist practice. Siddhartha Gautama, after becoming a Buddha (enlightened one) said to his students to never blindly follow teachings or do things because everyone else is doing it. Question everything and seek true understanding through analytical experience and reasoning. On top of all this I naturally don't believe in the existence of god.
... What did he say before he became an enlightened one ? Tongue "Duuur" ? Bhuddism is an interesting religion... if indeed the more atheistic branches can be called so. I remember seeing a poster with a summary of the basic ideas behind the eightfold path nailed to the wall in the bedroom of an acquaintance I didn't like very much... it made perfect sense.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-06-2013, 01:17 AM
Greetings! My name is Nick, I am 30 and work in the USN. New to the foum as of today. Religion was never really so prevalent in my home growing up, but I had to attend an Episcopal Christian private middle school for 7th and 8th grade due to the public schools in the area being garbage in my parents eyes. (huge mistake my mother admits) Once I started having religion in my life every day I really started to question it(much to the displeasure of the staff at the school) It all just sounded so damn... fictional. I remember 11 year old me giving out teacher this look "wtf do you mean this old man put two of every animal in a boat? You really believe that's true?" *note to students mother* Haha

Once I started attending a public high school I really just kind of forgot about it for a while, but have recently been interested in the thoughts and non-beliefs of others. So here I am, stack of books at my side, hoping to discuss and learn. I'm not out to challenge someone's religious beliefs, but I have been approached when someone found out I have not believed in a god since I was 11. I'd like to be better equipped to explain my non-belief and perhaps help them transition if that is their goal. Talk to you all soon!
[+] 1 user Likes olgluefoot's post
07-06-2013, 01:38 AM
(06-06-2013 03:17 PM)Zazen Wrote:  Hello,
Hi
(06-06-2013 03:17 PM)Zazen Wrote:  Anyways I've been a practicing Mahayana Buddhist for about 7 years now and I'm wondering, since there is no god or any kind of diety under the Mahayana, would that allow me to call myself an Atheist?

First of all, do you idolize Buddha, or do your worship him? Second, do you comfort yourself by believing in the process of nirvana? Answering that could make it easier to define yourself.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
hi,

hi

this forum looks like it could be some fun.

im an ex-christian, have been non religious for about 10 years now.
my WHOLE extended family are pretty much still all christian.

being the only 'black sheep' in a family is kinda sucky, but hey whats an atheist gonna do!? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes nouble_degative's post
08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi.

You guys can call me "Donk".

I was brought up a Christian, but only attended church regularly during grade school. I was confirmed Methodist at the age of 13. I never really liked going to church. It felt like punishment to go. By the time I was in my 20s, I didn't really think much about the existence of god, but considered myself a deist. Around the age of 28 I tried going back to church, but found the doctrine too intolerant for my tastes.

In the past year or so I've come to the realization that I haven't seen any empirical evidence to support the existence of any gods. The only reason I'd clung to the idea of god and an afterlife was based on the hope of one day being able to see the people I love again in some kind of afterlife. It's been difficult to come to the realization that this probably isn't going to happen at this particular point in my life, because my father is dying of cancer, and my mother's health isn't great -- I'm probably looking at losing them both in the span of the next couple of years.

But, on the other hand, coming to the realization now is also a "blessing" (for lack of a better word) in that I have had the opportunity to tell both of my parents how wonderful they've been for me as parents and that if I could have chosen the family I would be born into it would be theirs. I can, at least, go on knowing that they know how I feel now, before it's too late.

I'm fortunate in that my wife is accepting of my position on the existence of god, even if she's not sure what she believes.

I am doing my best to not indoctrinate my six-year-old son. He knows that I don't believe, but I've also explained to him that he needs to make his own decision. Fortunately, my in-laws are wonderful Christians who take him to church when they are visiting us and when he is visiting them. I think it's important that he be exposed to religion, and I'm doing my best to teach him to approach the whole affair with a critical mind. At his age, "God" appears to be on the level of "Santa Clause". I hope that, as he gets older, he will think critically about what he hears about religion.

I don't know how active I'll be in this forum, but it is nice to know that there are other folks out there in my same predicament and they are able to cope with life's ups and downs. I hope that bodes well for me as well.

-Donk
[+] 1 user Likes rockindonkey's post
09-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I am Tom, although I'm not even 100% of that.
09-06-2013, 05:25 PM
(09-06-2013 01:47 PM)GenghisTom Wrote:  I am Tom, although I'm not even 100% of that.

Welcome.

Where's the rest of you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed