Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-05-2011, 03:08 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi All,

A bit about myself:-
Well, In my 40's and live in Victoria, Australia.
I research Astronomy, Psychology and Particle Physics. An extremely logical and down-to-earth thinker who has had an interesting life so far (although most of its now gone - hehe).
After studying the structure and energies of the universe by way of physics I am open to what wonders may lie out there and this renders man-made religion a mute point in my opinion.
As a child I was subjected to church (through school - although my parents were not religious at all Undecided) and 'from the word go' I didn't believe in what I was being taught. In church I used to sit cross-legged when I was supposed to be kneeling, would talk whilst the vicar was preaching and generally made a nuisance of myself. I look back on this time fondly.
There is so much about the universe we do not know but are learning much all the time. Unfortunately as we have only 5 senses on which to build our beliefs and reality on, we are limited.
Having said all that, I think life is to enjoy love and laughter in abundance!
Thanks for reading (if you liked it, thanks - if you didn't, up yours Smile)
Heart
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Hello everyone, I found TTA on Youtube recently and finally decided to join the forum. I'm 19, just finishing my first year of college, and have been a Christian up until recently.
02-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi all, just joined the forum.
First of all, let me say why I joined the forum. I like to discuss ideas. In fact, I love it. It's such an enriching learning experience! I don't care if we don't agree. Let's pick each other's brain on why we think the way we do!
But there aren't too many people out there to have a good discussion with. There's those who think they already know everything. There's those who take disagreement as a personal insult. There's those who don't know the difference between evidence and a personal feeling. There's those who have never heard of logic and logical fallacies. There's people who don't value learning. There's those who like to interact only with people who agree with them.
I have looked for Internet forums to have good, intellectually stimulating discussions. I guess I was thinking people in forums would be a different cross section of the population. And in some measure they are. But I also found much of the same. Forums overrun by rude teenagers who roll their eyes and call you names if you even think of presenting a different point of view. On another forum I actually got called a "smart ass" for posting the etymology of the word "anarchist". I have been in forums in which the bossy teenager and the moderator are the same person, with the moderators taking action against posters for no other reason that they disagreed with them! I have seen it all. I am hoping to find some reason here. I'll cross my fingers...

Now that you know why I am here, let's talk about who I am. I am an atheist that comes from a fundamentalist family. I have higher education and I am continuing my education constantly, trying to add new and interesting subjects to my roster. My interests include Computer Science, Physics, Psychology, Fitness and Body Building, movie making, arts, Politics... I am not going to give too much personal info, Internet being what it is and all... Wink
English is not my first language, and I have noticed that my choice of wording sometimes comes across as sharp or unpleasant. I don't know what to do about it, other than assure people that's not my intention. My choice of words depends more on the limits of my vocabulary than my attitude. Please try to keep it in mind when you read my posts.

Well, that's all for now, I hope to have a good time.
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Hi All,

I'm Harshana from Sri Lanka, born in Buddhist family.
05-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Hi there!

I'm Raphael. I'm 17 and from Austria, born roman catholic but I've been a kind of atheist since I can remember, because of my father.
06-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Hello all. Just signed up yesterday but have following TTA for a few weeks. Who am I? A christian born and raised who is just coming into atheism( about a month now)

I'll spare the deatails as I'm sure many accounts are similar: saved at 5years old, grew up pentecostal, went to a christian college, son of a PreacherCool

And this is where it gets hairy. I'm currently assisting my father in the pulpit. As a matter of fact I will be preaching this sundayConfused. My mind has pretty much shut out what I've beleived, although there are still lingering remnants that I know will take time to fully excavate. My role is to help my father in the ministry, however I;ve not enjoyed doing it for nearly a year. Moreover, of course he's my father so I want to help him out because I care. I'm serioulsy thinking of just saying this is the end for me to him this week. It'll be hard Im sure for both of us, but I just cant continue to do something that a) I dont want to do and B) I no longer believe in. I dont know what he's gonna do but hell I'm in my 30's and I gotta do what's best for me. The more I stay in that, the more I'll feel pressured to succumb to it.
In light of the revelations I've received from so many perspectives, I just can't/won't see myself doing it.

Anyway, my journey down this road began of course with questioning God...why do bad things happen to good people, what do I have as a christian that makes me better than any other religion, etc, etc. When I couldn't get answers...I sought, and I found. Unexpectedly the answers were found in the atheist circle, but the answers made a hell of a lot more sense than what I was trying to fabricate.

Now, approx. a month and a half later, I no longer believe how I once believed. I cannot 100% say in my heart that I;m an atheist because I'm still compiling evidence and combating emotions and attachments. However, I will say that I feel a sense of liberation and honestly has prevailed through my search, which in the back of my mind I think, I f god didn't want me going down this road, he's had every chance to step in and stop me. He hasn't. Even when I cried out to him and ask him( I rememeber the first night, the reality hit, it shook every fiber of me...and God never said a whisperSad) Now, I'm on my own and am glad I have real people that have real hands and real answers to help me with my real life.
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
(06-05-2011 08:15 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  I cannot 100% say in my heart that I;m an atheist because I'm still compiling evidence and combating emotions and attachments.

There are a number of us here, me included, that have similarities in our stories to your story. It took me years to go from believer to atheist to agnostic and back to atheist. Now that I know what I know, I could never go back. There are lots of people to help you get information and give you moral support.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Greetings. I am Bezo. I am 33 years old. I am a singer and composer who does internet reviews with my wife for giggles. I have 2 cats and a dog. And I hate religion in all its forms.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
(07-05-2011 03:01 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(06-05-2011 08:15 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  I cannot 100% say in my heart that I;m an atheist because I'm still compiling evidence and combating emotions and attachments.

There are a number of us here, me included, that have similarities in our stories to your story. It took me years to go from believer to atheist to agnostic and back to atheist. Now that I know what I know, I could never go back. There are lots of people to help you get information and give you moral support.

Thank you. I appreciate it. And it helps to know I'm not alone in this struggle. I think it just makes it hard because I'm helping my father. He's older and he doesnt have anyone so, I feel an obligation to assist him with bringing a message. And I did give one today. It was very general and more or less a lesson about the importance and influence of mothers. I felt very hypocritical, but also felt like I wanted to give advice to people that may need it. Honestly, I think Im just kidding myself in that regard. This is something that will end, because I cant continue to be fake and I can't continue to talk about something I'm having a difficult time believing. So, I've resolved that I will finish out what I've said I'd commit to...a few more messages, then I'm out! I suppose I owe that to my family, but I also owe honesty to myself. I'm glad this forum is here to help me know others understand and are not judging in the midst of my personal dilemma.Wink
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 09:21 PM by No J..)
One of the people here converted his family to theism while he was a believer and now he became an atheist and feels very bad about what he did. I don't remember who it was, but I hope you don't go down that road.
(07-05-2011 11:43 PM)Bezo Wrote:  Greetings. I am Bezo. I am 33 years old. I am a singer and composer who does internet reviews with my wife for giggles. I have 2 cats and a dog. And I hate religion in all its forms.

I am a guitarist, guitar teacher, songwriter and have a degree in recording engineering, and I am Canadian, eh. I read several of your posts and decided to say hi.

"Hi"

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
Thread Closed