Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
12-06-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-06-2013 05:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 01:47 PM)GenghisTom Wrote:  I am Tom, although I'm not even 100% of that.

Welcome.

Where's the rest of you?

I meant to say " I'm Tom, and not even 100% sure of that". , a bad attempt at humor Smile I've enjoyed what I've read so far.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenghisTom's post
12-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Just introducing myself. My name is Curtis and I've been an atheist as long as I can remember.
13-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Hello all,

I've been a fan of TTA since first finding it on Facebook a few years ago. I finally decided to sign up here so I could join in the reindeer games.

I was once a fundamentalist Baptist. About a year after I was "saved" I "felt the Lord calling me to preach." While I never pastored a church, I often filled in at my home church and at sister churches when needed. During this time I was heavy into our doctrinal apologetics. I studied all our competing sects and other religions and debated them often. While I suppressed certain questions I had regarding holes in the bible (it's easy when you can just wave it away with the "trick of the devil" explanation") I believed I was on firm ground within my own denomination. It wasn't until I finally decided to "prove" once and for all that the bible was true that the previous holes widened into insurmountable gaps. I finally left my home church, I went through the obligatory post conversion "Deist" phase before finally settling the issue with myself and becoming comfortable with calling myself an atheist.

That is my story in a nut shell. Glad to be here and I look forward to reading the forum posts.

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
13-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Hello,

I'm A.J., and I'm a middle school World History teacher from Maryland. I have been a closet atheist for a long time, but I (as many have probably also been in this spot) feared repercussions. I live in a rural, very conservative area, and when I moved here for my job, I was not religious, but still towed the same line...I believed in God, the Bible, etc. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, and was pretty much a C and E Catholic by that point (Christmas and Easter). As time went on, as I grew as an educator, I found myself researching religion for lessons on world cultures. I have always prided myself on not being afraid to teach any cultures religion (rather ancient or modern) as a part of understanding why history unfolded the way it did. As I did my research into ancient Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Norse, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. beliefs I found myself realizing that religion, and God, etc. was nothing more then what I had previously believed about all these other cultures: a myth. I think I had known this fact for a long time, but never self-realized it until then. So I found myself married, with a son, a teacher in a Christian community, but also FINALLY having the guts to say and realize that I was/am an atheist.

Being a history teacher, the only way I know how to tackle a problem was to research it. So that is what I have been doing, reading lots of books, online sources, journals, etc. because I realized being an atheist can sometimes mean being accosted by others who know very little about you. When I told my wife and family the reactions were mixed but I lost no one over it. They think I am wrong of course and have used many of the arguments many of you are so familiar with, hence my research (to be prepared to defend and dare I say attack with my own viewpoints). I also told my friends and co-workers as well. Lost some of them sadly, but most were pretty supportive. This when talking about ancient Egyptian mythology in class one of my students asked me if any of this was real (the Egyptian myths) and I said while it gives us a lot of insight into understanding how people thought and why they did the things they did, none of this is reality. The inevitable follow up question was, "Well what about Christianity?". I found myself saying, really without thinking, "Personally, I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in it." I froze, thinking, OH SHIT why did I just tell a group of 11 year olds that. Most of the kids had no idea what I was talking about of course, but they asked. So my big "coming" out moment happened there and then and I explained what an atheist is, etc. and did a pretty damn good job of it. I was still scared shitless, but amazingly I did not get one ounce of blow back. I get how lucky that is, since many don't get that.

Anyways I feel like I've gone on too long because while people accept me it's not exactly like I get to have many conversations about being an atheist, etc. in everyday life. I've been following the Thinking Atheist on facebook, the youtube channel, podcast, etc...But never took the plunge into the forums. I'll see you around the threads I guessSmile
[+] 4 users Like AtheistTeacher's post
13-06-2013, 10:17 PM
(13-06-2013 11:39 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  Hello,

I'm A.J., and I'm a middle school World History teacher from Maryland. I have been a closet atheist for a long time, but I (as many have probably also been in this spot) feared repercussions. I live in a rural, very conservative area, and when I moved here for my job, I was not religious, but still towed the same line...I believed in God, the Bible, etc. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, and was pretty much a C and E Catholic by that point (Christmas and Easter). As time went on, as I grew as an educator, I found myself researching religion for lessons on world cultures. I have always prided myself on not being afraid to teach any cultures religion (rather ancient or modern) as a part of understanding why history unfolded the way it did. As I did my research into ancient Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Norse, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. beliefs I found myself realizing that religion, and God, etc. was nothing more then what I had previously believed about all these other cultures: a myth. I think I had known this fact for a long time, but never self-realized it until then. So I found myself married, with a son, a teacher in a Christian community, but also FINALLY having the guts to say and realize that I was/am an atheist.

Being a history teacher, the only way I know how to tackle a problem was to research it. So that is what I have been doing, reading lots of books, online sources, journals, etc. because I realized being an atheist can sometimes mean being accosted by others who know very little about you. When I told my wife and family the reactions were mixed but I lost no one over it. They think I am wrong of course and have used many of the arguments many of you are so familiar with, hence my research (to be prepared to defend and dare I say attack with my own viewpoints). I also told my friends and co-workers as well. Lost some of them sadly, but most were pretty supportive. This when talking about ancient Egyptian mythology in class one of my students asked me if any of this was real (the Egyptian myths) and I said while it gives us a lot of insight into understanding how people thought and why they did the things they did, none of this is reality. The inevitable follow up question was, "Well what about Christianity?". I found myself saying, really without thinking, "Personally, I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in it." I froze, thinking, OH SHIT why did I just tell a group of 11 year olds that. Most of the kids had no idea what I was talking about of course, but they asked. So my big "coming" out moment happened there and then and I explained what an atheist is, etc. and did a pretty damn good job of it. I was still scared shitless, but amazingly I did not get one ounce of blow back. I get how lucky that is, since many don't get that.

Anyways I feel like I've gone on too long because while people accept me it's not exactly like I get to have many conversations about being an atheist, etc. in everyday life. I've been following the Thinking Atheist on facebook, the youtube channel, podcast, etc...But never took the plunge into the forums. I'll see you around the threads I guessSmile

Welcome.
Enjoyed your post, I could envision your reaction when the words were already said...I am very surprised that no parents have challanged you. Have you thought how that would go? Johnny tells mom and dad, they in turn complain to Principal, you get sent to the Principal's office, paddling ensues or some other barbaric punishment like burning at the stake. Shocking You never know what those loving Xtians might do when confronted by a baby-eating Atheist. Consider

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
14-06-2013, 02:25 PM
hello, i'm seventeen-year-old highschool student. live in turkey, adana.

Sorry for bad English or mistakes. English isn't my motherlanguage. Sadcryface
14-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Hello, I am a septuagenarian (talk about 'coming out'!) and have been atheist for - oh I dunno - for several decades anyway. (Hard to say when I knew I was 'believing' from habit, so to speak, rather than anything else.) No huge 'realization'. I usually say, when people start talking religion, something like 'I'm not religious, you know', as if it was the most natural or logical thing in the world - as it is. If they keep on, I might rephrase it as 'I'm atheist' or I just use the ultimate atheist argument: Big Grin I like reading just about anything Dawkins has written - plus the usual others.

FWIW, my dh is also atheist and so, I think, is our cat. We live together in relaxed harmony in Canada.

Lovely to 'meet' you all here. I'm enjoying the threads! Thanks, all.
[+] 2 users Like riverrun's post
14-06-2013, 04:40 PM
(14-06-2013 04:17 PM)riverrun Wrote:  Hello, I am a septuagenarian (talk about 'coming out'!) and have been atheist for - oh I dunno - for several decades anyway. (Hard to say when I knew I was 'believing' from habit, so to speak, rather than anything else.) No huge 'realization'. I usually say, when people start talking religion, something like 'I'm not religious, you know', as if it was the most natural or logical thing in the world - as it is. If they keep on, I might rephrase it as 'I'm atheist' or I just use the ultimate atheist argument: Big Grin I like reading just about anything Dawkins has written - plus the usual others.

FWIW, my dh is also atheist and so, I think, is our cat. We live together in relaxed harmony in Canada.

Lovely to 'meet' you all here. I'm enjoying the threads! Thanks, all.

Welcome.
Cats aren't exactly atheists - they think they are gods. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Hello All,
As my username may suggest, I am a seeker.

Born and raised as Muslim but always had the curiosity to find God or find something about God that brings me closer to finding God, no matter how, even if it is through Christianity or Judaism or any other way.
Not openly however, as I come from a family which is well known for its Social and Religious contributions and unfortunately the community that my family belongs to, is kind of Stupid/ Extremist. So in case I would do something against religion ( WHERE: not according to religion = against religion Tongue ) it would not just be bad for me but will also be very bad for my family. Of course I Love my family.

To The Point I am have became a member here, I do not yet consider myself an atheist yet. YES I am not yet an Atheist, I am still Seeking for God regardless of Religion Title, but atheist does attract me, I want to know more about it. A part of me longs to talk about it, Seek and learn about it.

And of course I am open for Wisdom, I mean I may not be a smart person but I am willing to be one no matter how. I am also hoping to find some good friends during my time here. I am 29 years old Male from Germany.

I hope I will have a good time here, even if I may never become an atheist, I will love to learn about atheism, I may ask stupid questions, I may argue with concepts but I QUESTION TO KNOW I ARGUE TO UNDERSTAND. And I will always be nice to everyone to my best.

Quite a long intro already, so that all for now ...

I Question to Know, I Argue to Understand
15-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome.
Cats aren't exactly atheists - they think they are gods. Big Grin
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. My cat already told me that, but I told him he is delusional.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 571 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 213 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 604 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,902 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 724 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,730 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,612 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever