Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome all, I do hope you enjoy your stay here.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey all, been reading the site for a while, finally decided to sign up so I could discuss stuff.

I am 40 and live in the Chicago burbs... while I was raised Catholic I was never seriously into it. I remember as a kid loving programs on nature and thinking "hey this doesn't make any sense against the stuff in the bible."

It's never been a huge burden for me, as the Chicago suburbs are not exactly the most oppressively religious place in the US, but its still nice to be able to read and discuss things with like minded people.
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi people I'm another new guy obviously.

So I'm not one for this intro hogwash so I'll be brief. Im 17 and have been an atheist since I was twelve years old. I'm also a kinda-libertarian with many liberal ideals. My interests are coding, movies, biology and long walks on the beach.
03-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Greetings,

Name here is Larry. Long time listener.... Not quite a life-time atheist.... My parents tried to raise a roman catholic, or at least went through the motions. I went to sunday school, and attended a catholic school during kindergarten and 1st grade. I can't really say if I was ever a "true" believer, but I can recall having some really frightening and realistic dreams of hellfire and some sort of king of demons. Clearly some seed had been planted. My fathers parents were active in our lives up until I was about 7 years old. They converted to Jehovah's Witness . After that we didn't even seem to exist for them, I guess the lack of christmas and birthday presents from them was the most notable thing to my "child's mind". I'd suppose up to that point I didn't really know that other religions even existed. I'm fairly certain that I lost most of my faith about the same time I figured the real situation behind "Santa Claus". As I entered my teen age years, books by Edgar Rice Burrows, Piers Anthony, And Douglas Adams, although fictitious, seemed to paint universes where gods were undesirable, or just plain invented to keep some people in power. I'm thinking of things like the god of tarot series, incarnations of immortality, and hitchhikers. Additionally, I had about the same time, read a book about ancient aliens seeding life on the earth. Clearly, to me at the time, god didn't create life on earth as the bible said. And the references to "we" in the beginning of genesis suggested to me some sort of reference to an alien council, deciding our fates, or setting up some sort of colony. Anyhow.... by the time I'm in high school, I know, or think I know, that all religions are made up bullshit, and that the existence of a god is very unlikely. Clearly I had the right idea, but for very bad reasons. It was not until much later, that I came across good reasons, that I could actually defend. I have to credit Dawkins, and Hitchens for most of that. Nowadays I eagerly await each sundays edition of The Atheist Experience, and of course, every Tuesday to get a fresh breath of Seth's sanity, in our clearly insane and self-deluded world.
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey there - I'm Jason in the Seattle area. I've been an atheist for a lot longer than I have known that word. I'm mostly open with it if anyone asks - unlike when I first reached the conclusion that I was one. Like many, when I first "discovered" that I was an atheist, I was pretty "in your face" about it, making fun of people for praying to their invisible friend, picking fights (on the internet, of course) - I was like a kid with a brand new toy and I wanted to show everyone! After a while that calms down and now I'm back to normal, just with the atheist piece a little more prominent than it was when I was younger.

I am very lucky to live in the pacific northwest, one of the lowest number of churches per capita of any major city! I have learned that being an atheist here is no big deal. As it comes up, I am finding more and more non-believers at work where I least expected it. When people say anything about their church or Jeebus, most people look at them like they have the plague. So if you're an atheist and you wanna live where it is accepted and acceptable, come to Seattle!
03-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Hello, my name is Greg. I am 30 years old and I was raised and indoctrinated into the Christian faith, it's only been the last couple years unfortunately that I have begun to realize that its all a bunch of crap. I have no free thinking friends. My entire family is caught up in religion. The reason I joined this community is to try and make some new contacts and have a place to share how I left the faith.
04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi Guys,

41-year-old male from Melbourne, Australia. Wasn't always an atheist, was actually an altar boy when I was a kid (raised Catholic). Thankfully my brain dropped into my head in my late-20s, and by the mid-30s I'd found reason.

Cheers
[+] 1 user Likes Swedgen's post
04-07-2013, 06:45 PM
(04-07-2013 06:04 PM)Swedgen Wrote:  Hi Guys,

41-year-old male from Melbourne, Australia. Wasn't always an atheist, was actually an altar boy when I was a kid (raised Catholic). Thankfully my brain dropped into my head in my late-20s, and by the mid-30s I'd found reason.

Cheers

welcome mate,hope ya have a great time here
cheers to you

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
American teenager living in the Great Southwest. Atheist, bagpiper, car enthusiast, and Phillie Phanatic.
[+] 1 user Likes Merlin's post
05-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Hey all,

I'm a 36 year old software developer from NC. I took a staggered path getting there, majoring in phil and psych...this made my eventual career path a little difficult but it did have the benefit of curing me of religion.

I also like to take long walks on the beach in the moonlight, jiu-jitsu, piano, drawing, comic books, thinking about monsters, and football.

Evil_monster

People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.

Vince Lombardi
Thread Closed