Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-07-2013, 05:19 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, I am new here. With exceptions like this one, I am not going to post, since I am not an atheist. Nevertheless, if I lived in an English speaking country, my opinions would most often coincide with those of atheists and I would be astonished by the stupidity of religious people. As far as I understand, in most countries most people are religious and a handful of progressive thinking people become atheists. I live in a country where most people are either atheist or irreligious and a handful of progressive thinking people become religious.

I am just interested in reading the forum. Currently I hope I will be able to access the Pedophilia thread as soon as I am approved as not being a spambot.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 06:52 AM
(01-07-2013 01:03 PM)Wandering Heathen Wrote:  Hey All,
I am a 45 year old male divorced male atheist - been convinced that there is no god since I was 10 or so but was brought up southern baptist. My family is very rooted in their faith and as a result I have side stepped the issue for the last 20 years or so. I did try to use logic to prove the non-existence of such a thing but it is weird - there is absolutely nothing that proves the existence of God more to them than me arguing against it. These are intelligent people not idiots and some are people of science - but they are selective in their application of the scientific method - faith has this nice little niche carved out in the middle of their lives and there is no getting around it. I am not in the closet exactly but I dont discuss any of it anymore with them - there is no point since I am not going to pray or "beg the lord for guidance" and they are not going to apply reason to the issue. I love them all and I hold no ill will towards them - they were simply all indoctrinated as children and it has been this way for more generations than are alive. I hold the view that in 100 years all religion is going to be widely held as a silly but tragic historical delusion the same way people today think about the inquisition or the witch trials in Salem in the 1600s. I certainly hope so anyways. Anyways it is great to be here hope you are all doing well.

I think you are wise to back off. If there is only negative response to the announcement and a few examples of the silliness of religion, then it is best to quit and be a good person. Continuing will only make their faith stronger. It's rare, but it sometimes happens that your testimony will raise questions in their minds that leads them to the truth.

Bob

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it. (Václav Havel)
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi. I'm William. I am a long-time listener, but I didn't know about the forum until I saw Seth's Facebook post today.

I have to visit my mother in mormon-ville later this week. If you find a chance, would you all not-pray for me? I might need it. Big Grin
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Hello, I'm happy to be a part of this forum. I live in Florida, USA 43 yrs old and never been a believer.
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi phthisis! I'm in FL, too.

You'll love it here, no doubt. Welcone to the family.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Oh oops! Just realized a bunch of other newbies posted so "hullooooo!" to you all!

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone! I have a very unique name so I will not post it here. I live in the giant, tacky redneck buckle of the "bible belt," so religious belief is pretty much assumed by everyone around me. I grew up in a marginally Christian home, was in & out of church life during my teens & 20's, had several "born again" experiences & even converted to Catholicism! Needless to say, I have really TRIED to believe, but something (logic perhaps) was always trying to pull me out of the fog. For the past 5 years or so I haven't gone to any church, & have considered myself agnostic, but the more I look into science & cosmology etc. I find myself leaning closer & closer towards accepting the fact that I simply do not believe anymore!

I have been listening to TTA podcast for a couple weeks now, so I thought I'd check out the forums & introduce myself!
09-07-2013, 05:52 AM
I am a 54 year old Canadian woman who was raised an atheist and rebelled by studying religion at university. Knowledge of religion explained a lot about the world and renewed my respect for the atheism of my family. I do not like religion or its consequences. I do not care whether or not there is a deity. Apathostheism?
[+] 2 users Like RebelDaughter's post
09-07-2013, 06:08 AM
I suppose it's never too late for a formal introduction. Many of you already know me from the site, social media pages, radio podcasts and book, but here goes.

[Image: Seth-Andrews.jpg]

I'm Seth. Recovering Christian. Former religious broadcaster, now atheist activist. Engaged to Natalie. Owner of Rat Dog.

I like long walks on the beach, sushi, tennis, Journey/Kansas/Styx, documentaries, Breaking Bad and weekly trips to the movies.

I want peace (if necessary, through superior firepower). I want fresh coffee. I want $2.49/gallon gasoline. I want the pillow to be cool and the blankets to be warm. I want Michael Bay to stop making crap movies. I want to be the national spokesperson for Splenda. I want an autograph from Roger Federer, a tentacle-free seafood salad, a stupid tax, Hugh Jackman's pecs, Stephen Hawking's brain, a Valium airdrop over the entire Middle East, a cure for baldness (just in case) and for the entire cast of Jersey Shore to be waterboarded.

Finally, I want to thank everyone here for making the TTA forum such a wild success. Our admins (Tim, Jeremy, Jay) have been instrumental in its growth, and I cannot overstate the importance of the daily forum users who have brought this beast to vigorous life. My humble gratitude for evolving the TTA forum beyond anything I could have done.

Just know that you're appreciated, and I'm glad to be in your company. All my best.

Seth Andrews
TTA Founder and Host
YouTube Facebook BlogTalkRadio
[+] 11 users Like Editor-TheThinkingAtheist's post
09-07-2013, 06:11 AM
(09-07-2013 06:08 AM)Editor-TheThinkingAtheist Wrote:  I suppose it's never too late for a formal introduction. Many of you already know me from the site, social media pages, radio podcasts and book, but here goes.

[Image: Seth-Andrews.jpg]

I'm Seth. Recovering Christian. Former religious broadcaster, now atheist activist. Engaged to Natalie. Owner of Rat Dog.

I like long walks on the beach, sushi, tennis, Journey/Kansas/Styx, documentaries, Breaking Bad and weekly trips to the movies.

I want peace (if necessary, through superior firepower). I want fresh coffee. I want $2.49/gallon gasoline. I want the pillow to be cool and the blankets to be warm. I want Michael Bay to stop making crap movies. I want to be the national spokesperson for Splenda. I want an autograph from Roger Federer, a tentacle-free seafood salad, a stupid tax, Hugh Jackman's pecs, Stephen Hawking's brain, a Valium airdrop over the entire Middle East, a cure for baldness (just in case) and for the entire cast of Jersey Shore to be waterboarded.

Finally, I want to thank everyone here for making the TTA forum such a wild success. Our admins (Tim, Jeremy, Jay) have been instrumental in its growth, and I cannot overstate the importance of the daily forum users who have brought this beast to vigorous life. My humble gratitude for evolving the TTA forum beyond anything I could have done.

Just know that you're appreciated, and I'm glad to be in your company. All my best.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the post. Better late than never Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Thread Closed