Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I wave hello to everyone here! I'm Caroline, 21, and raised Roman Catholic. What led me to become an atheist was the improbability of a god or some supernatural being(s) existing, and general distaste for the Catholic Church and my catholic schooling, in particular the things about sex and abortion, although I was anti-choice back then, which is embarrassing to say. If the high school I went to wasn't Catholic, it really would've been a great school. Some of the religion classes actually were useful, specifically the Old Testament and New Testament classes, and Church History (the Spanish Inquisition was conviently left out, though...) I remember having doubts when I was 13, and in religion class reading the story of Adam and Eve. We were discussing the tree of knowledge, and I couldn't help but wonder why God would put a tree in Eden that would lead to the fall of mankind, when there was no reason to, and he knew they'd do it. Of course, the stories of the Old Testament are allegories, but no one told me that back then so I was confused. I was never really religious. I was Catholic because my mom was, and believed in God because I was told he was real, so the transition to Catholic by default to atheist wasn't really huge.

Along with being an atheist, I am a vegetarian, a feminist and generally anti-oppression (isn't everyone, though?), a dancer, and a lover of learning. Medical issues have made the whole learning and dancing thing very imposing tasks, but I'm working towards recovery. I also hope to one day be able to say to people, besides my friends, "I'm an atheist", but I'm worried about people's reactions, even though it would be so empowering.
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Hello, everyone! A brief description of myself follows: I was born, raised and live in Puerto Rico. I am 74, a retired engineering professor (Ph. D. in Solid State Physics) and a scientist (spent years doing research in US). Presently divorced and living alone with my little Shi-Tsu (a small dog). When I was about 9 years old I decided that I could not continue relying on what grown ups said because sometimes either they did not know or they could lie. I knew I could and would make mistakes but they would be my own. One of the first things I abandoned was religious beliefs. I found a child version of the Bible in my father's library and devoured it but decided it was just a pretty story. Since then I have read many an argument purporting to be proofs of the existence of God but have found them all invalid. As for evidence, the only ones I have found point in the opposite direction (thousands of innocent children dying of hunger in Africa is not consistent with a loving God, to name just one.)
I really do not consider myself an atheist because I cannot disprove God's existence and my honesty, both personal and scientific, preclude my asserting something I cannot prove. So I call myself a Skeptic Agnostic (I do not believe in deities). I have been very pleasantly surprised to find this site in the Internet. The section "You Are Not Alone" was particularly satisfying. I look forward to a long and fruitful discourse with my peers here.
10-05-2011, 02:49 AM

Hello! I'm a 29 year old web developer from Australia - raised in a pentecostal family, attended a catholic high school and was involved with the Uniting Church. I've been an atheist for the last 5 years. My political philosophies are heavily influenced by various technocratic societies, futurists and general biological solidarity / sustainability. Pipe dreams as the social paradigm stands, so I align myself with progressive politics.

There's more, obviously - but a little mystery goes a long way.
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Hello people. I am 26 years old and a little old for a somewhat fresh graduate in Mechanical Engineering. I'm still looking for a job here and am currently a part-time karate instructor.

I was brought up to submit myself to god (I take it you can guess which religion I'm trying to imply here), but now I surren... um... what my username says.

I'm from a country where a political party just earlier today was protesting against the killing of Osama bin Laden, whom initially requested Obama to apologise. This country also has an identification system where by the age of 13 you are suppose register for a identification card which not only states your Name, Birth-date and Race, but also your Religion - from which they can distinguish which one of their citizens is bound to the Shariah court and which are not, regardless of your personal beliefs.

If you can guess both the religion I was raised as and which country I am from, you get a free wink from me! Wink ... I'm kidding, I'm just being kiddish for the fun of it. But if you demand a wink after guessing correctly, I'll do so.
10-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Hi there,

My name is Steve and I live in the North of England. I have been an atheist since about the age of 5. I was lucky in that my parents did not mind me having a mind of my own and thinking for myself, even though they themselves were believers.

It is nice to see that like minded folks are exchanging ideas and challenging ignorance and superstition and I am glad to now be a member of this forum.

Cheers

Steve
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello, all! I've been an atheist for around 3 years and found my way after leading a small group at my church. We studied 'The Case for Christ', and I realized quickly that I no longer believed in what Christianity was preaching. My journey has been both enlightening and difficult. I am married to a Christian who is not OK with my new belief system and we are raising three small children in the process. My hope is that someday she will come to realize the truth. My entire family and most friends are still Christian and in order to keep the peace I still attend church with them regularly. I do not hide behind my <lack of> faith, however, and will gladly talk to whoever wants to listen. Most don't.

I am a successful salesperson in my mid-30's and all things considered have a wonderful life. I look forward to contributing and really love this site.
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Wink RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!

Danielle, or you can call me D. Just now "coming out of the closet" and I have never been happier.
12-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Hello I am from Englewood Co I am 53 yrs old and have bee a Atheist for a very long time

Why would a God create people so imperfect then blame them for there own imperfections.
Then send his own son to be judged, tortured, and killed by the very same imperfect people.
In order to make up for how imperfect we are?
13-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I first realized I was an atheist back in '82. I know now that I was an atheist long before that, but had simply never really thought about it. I came from a very "devout" Methodist family, that exhibited zero tolerance for questioning religion, and they scorn me to this day. " We raised you better than this ! " I am the only college trained person in the family, and the only atheist. ( go figure, 'eh? )
I was frequently spanked, slapped, and even beaten for questioning the bible in Sunday school as a kid. I could never understand how a school teacher could teach evolution in school, then this garbage in Sunday school! But dare thee not not question those on Sunday! I'm now pushing 50, and don't give a damn what anybody thinks. I frequently challenge religious nut cases in public, though I tend to find it about as much sport as swatting flies in autumn. I have to give it to the flies, at least they understand when they have lost.Big Grin
For years I have used the same xmess wreath on my door. It looks normal till the lights are turned on ( tiny red lights in it ) They display a pentagram when plugged in. I rarely have to deal with xmess carolers!
My goal in joining is to meet others like minded, and maybe learn some tricks for attempting to educate the religious minded about their futile errors. I sometimes lack the ability to put my thoughts to words well, which can truly suck in a debate with a hard nose "know it all" christian.
I still need to develop an avatar, and set a quote. I'm new here, and don't have it all down yet, but I'll get it.Smile

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
13-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi. I'm a life long atheist, 47 years and running, in BC Canada. I was born and raised in the US so I'm concerned about matters there too.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
Thread Closed