Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
21-07-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Howdy. I'm Mike. I'm a 30-year-old ex-evangelical/literalist/creationist/conspiracy theorist/credulous ninny from Michigan, now living in New York. I like long walks on the beach, margaritas, and full frontal nudity. (Men, women, whatever.)

I've got a sick sense of humor, I get into debates a lot, and I'm nothing in real life like I am online.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Yeesh. The first sentence in any post is always the most difficult (for me, anyway). Ha -- got that out of the way...

As a child, I was thoroughly indoctrinated in the Christian religion; it was the source of many painful struggles - with my family and friends, within my self - throughout the first forty or so years of my life. I'm in my fifties now, no longer struggling with my self or my friends over religion. Phew!

I have no need to share my beliefs - or lack thereof - with others, and would really prefer to be offered the same consideration. Instead, extremist religious groups put considerable effort into influencing public functions/institutions -- government, legislation and school curricula, for example. These efforts often have an unwanted, direct and negative impact on my life and on the lives of my loved ones.

How to say "enough"? Is there a reasonable solution to this problem? I joined TTA's forum to explore those questions within a community setting. Asking them in my own head has been totally unproductive. *crooked grin*

“From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.”
― Odd Thomas
22-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm David, a 21 year-old college student from the United States who has recently come to the conclusion that-- hey, I don't really believe in a god or gods. This is not easy for me as I still live with my parents (lay off me in this economy I can't pay for college AND an apartment) who have forced me to go to church since I was born. My dad is actually a pastor, so it's honestly an issue if I take a bite without saying grace first!! Since I'm an adult, my parents can't really force me to do anything anymore, so I skip church now to go drink beers with my brother or play some pool with my friends... But then I don't hear the end of it from my parents who don't know I'm atheist because I'm afraid to come out and break their heart. Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum because I have a lot of life questions and the sort, but I'll save them for other threads because this reply is starting to get too long. Cheers!
22-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I have been listening to Seth for over a year. I have been an Atheist for over 15 years. Probably more "vocal" for the past 7 years.

I was raised Catholic, but not forced to go to church every week. Never even gave it a thought. My father passed when I was 12 (I am 44 now) and always prayed for his soul.

No joke; I thought the bible was written by "God". That is how religious I was! ha When I found out "humans" wrote it, I thought, "Why are people following this book?" I started my journey searching the internet that lead me to Atheism.

Two years ago, my mother passed and she knew I was an atheist. We had wonderful conversations and I told her I would see her in my dreams.

My perspective has changed so dramatically and for the BETTER regarding death. Both parents passed from cancer. When my mother was ill, I had a coworker ask me if I was mad at god. I said that I don't believe in a god, so there is nothing to be mad at; this is life.

I learned that THIS is the only life you will ever have and as Dawkins said, "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born."

Anyway, I look forward to reading and giving my opinion.

Thank you,

Sheri
22-07-2013, 07:19 PM
(22-07-2013 02:35 PM)Sheripres Wrote:  Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I have been listening to Seth for over a year. I have been an Atheist for over 15 years. Probably more "vocal" for the past 7 years.

I was raised Catholic, but not forced to go to church every week. Never even gave it a thought. My father passed when I was 12 (I am 44 now) and always prayed for his soul.

No joke; I thought the bible was written by "God". That is how religious I was! ha When I found out "humans" wrote it, I thought, "Why are people following this book?" I started my journey searching the internet that lead me to Atheism.

Two years ago, my mother passed and she knew I was an atheist. We had wonderful conversations and I told her I would see her in my dreams.

My perspective has changed so dramatically and for the BETTER regarding death. Both parents passed from cancer. When my mother was ill, I had a coworker ask me if I was mad at god. I said that I don't believe in a god, so there is nothing to be mad at; this is life.

I learned that THIS is the only life you will ever have and as Dawkins said, "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born."

Anyway, I look forward to reading and giving my opinion.

Thank you,

Sheri

Welcome to the forums. Smile

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
22-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Welcome, fellow heathens Cool
22-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Hello all,
I'm Chris from Houston. Raised a fundamentalist apostolic Pentecostal and hated everyone. Now I'm an atheist and don't hate nearly as many people.
22-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Welcome new heathens!

I'm KC, and I'll be your admin.

If you have praise, love, positive fluffiness, and wonderful things to say about our forum staff, you may talk to me.

For any complaints, contusions, pissing, or moaning, please see Stark Raving.

For the latter, you might have wait a bit for a response (bit=never).

So, for immediate concerns please place a hand written suggestion on a napkin and put it our suggestion box. Our suggestion box can be reached through any toilet.

Thank you for being a part of TTA! I hope you enjoy your stay!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
22-07-2013, 11:21 PM
(22-07-2013 11:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome new heathens!

If you have praise, love, positive fluffiness, and wonderful things to say about our forum staff, you may talk to me.

So, for immediate concerns please place a hand written suggestion on a napkin and put it our suggestion box. Our suggestion box can be reached through any toilet.

Don't worry folks he's half kidding.

Stark doesn't want to hear it either. Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-07-2013, 09:16 AM
(22-07-2013 11:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome new heathens!

The results are just like prayer, then. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post