Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2013, 09:42 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
My name is Michael and I grew up as Mormon in Salt Lake City, Utah. I always considered myself a "freethinker" and "progressive" but eventually realized the err of my ways. I had returned home from my 2 year mission to El Salvador when the Proposition 8 debate was in full swing. I knew my church was wrong for taking the stance that they did and for the first time I accepted the idea that the church leaders were fallible. I started to ask myself, "If they are so wrong about this one issue, what else are they wrong about?" And lo and behold it turns out they were wrong just about everything!

It has been about a year since I stopped believing. I don't have very many people in my life who are willing to converse about religion and faith and that is why I joined the forum.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like StJosephSmith's post
23-07-2013, 05:39 PM
(23-07-2013 09:42 AM)StJosephSmith Wrote:  My name is Michael and I grew up as Mormon in Salt Lake City, Utah. I always considered myself a "freethinker" and "progressive" but eventually realized the err of my ways. I had returned home from my 2 year mission to El Salvador when the Proposition 8 debate was in full swing. I knew my church was wrong for taking the stance that they did and for the first time I accepted the idea that the church leaders were fallible. I started to ask myself, "If they are so wrong about this one issue, what else are they wrong about?" And lo and behold it turns out they were wrong just about everything!

It has been about a year since I stopped believing. I don't have very many people in my life who are willing to converse about religion and faith and that is why I joined the forum.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.

Welcome.

I wonder what the Mormon leaders aren't wrong about. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2013, 09:02 PM
TexanThinker....
At a youthful age of 66 I am finally free of the burden of religion. I was born a Catholic, became a Methodist then a Baptist....but now feel free of it all....finally!
23-07-2013, 09:05 PM
What took you so damn long Tex? Wink Welcome

23-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Wayne Francis, 42, USMC from 88-94. Never a strong believer and just became more of a skeptic as I got older

Wayne Francis
--"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." A.E.
24-07-2013, 03:13 AM
I am a married thirty-something male. I work for a government acronym, mostly because they don't require drug tests. I vote, even though it's consistently nauseating to choose my preferred flavor of feces. I listen to lots of podcasts to keep sane at work. Right now The Thinking Atheist and Unwelcome Guests are my favorites.

My wife and stepdaughter are my favorite people on the planet, closely followed by Noam Chomsky and my cats. I am a market abolitionist, but didn't know the word for it until I read Michael Albert's "Parecon". I brew my own apple cider which I am enjoying as I write this. I like fiery sunsets, fierce thunderstorms, kind people, and passionate revolutionaries.
24-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi there I just started to listen to the podcasts. I have recently walked away from christianity.I could not deal with it anymore.I have always believed in science, and thats the way I chose to be, I still have a belief in some kind of higher power or whatever you want to call it. But I am tired of having a belief system that hinders so much free thought.Thumbsup
24-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I come from a very long line of missionaries, even back to the founder of the Salvation Army.
I had great grandparents who were in China, who fled Mao Ze Tong, and remained for a time even during the Japanese occupation.
I had great grandparents who were the first white people to encounter the Bobongo (pygmies) of Gabon, and then lived with them for 5 decades.
One set of my Grandparents who served all over Central Africa.
My other set of Grandparents were missionaries in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and for a time that grandmother was very high up in Bible Study Fellowship, based out of Dallas TX.
Myself, I was raised strictly in private christian schools and even graduated from a fundamental baptist high school where 'science class' often involved films by Ray Comfot, Kent Hovind, or Ken Ham, I was well trained in apologetics, and I even once received 'demerits' for sitting too close to a girl.
throughout that time, I also went on international missions trips and was heavily involved in church

It was a long struggle, losing my faith, and I had to move away to think for myself, and so that I could step out of the positions I held in two churches, without raising too many questions.
The story of my actual deconversion is far too long to recount here, but I remember the tipping point:
while watching the Nova series 'Becoming Human', with all I had been brainwashed to believe running in the back of my mind, I came to realize the extent of the lies I had been fed and for the first time the thought, 'what is there is no god?' flashed though my mind.
That was what began my scientific documentary binge: my search for actual understanding
That was just 3 years ago.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[+] 1 user Likes multidaytim's post
24-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone...

Im not too big on forums but i've been watching the show on youtube for something like 2 years now.. seems like longer.. figured I'd say Hi.

I was brought up in the Jehovah's witnesses though i cant say I ever really believed it..
but watching this weeks show got me here... was like hearing what childhood would have been like if everything was complete opposite lol

anyways ya im about to turn 25 in a couple weeks my youngest sister just left the cult my other sister is still in it along with both parents and most of my relatives...

needless to say I've been the black sheep for half my life lol
anyways if seth does a show on the JW's I'd liek to add my 2 cents to that show...
24-07-2013, 10:54 PM
(24-07-2013 04:09 PM)multidaytim Wrote:  My other set of Grandparents were missionaries in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe)

Hey Smile I'm from Zim Smile Always nice to see some connection...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post