Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
25-07-2013, 09:33 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all, I'm an ex Charismatic Christian, a retired General Pediatrician, and a budding new Neuroevolutionary theoretical scientist; I explain what we are and where we come from. The only thing that exists that has any hope of actually accruing ongoing value is the minds of our children; we waste this irretrievable asset at our peril. So yes, I'm a utopian dreamer who thinks its possible to design a way to live that takes care of all the noisy field apes, I love them all; and they are mostly idiots! Hi, I'm michael...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mikieinokc's post
25-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi there,

I'm almost finished the book "Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason", and just discovered Seth Andrews. Very impressed! Have been an active atheist for about 4 years; I was into religion (christianity) in my early 20s for a few years, but have been religion-free ever since (now late 40s). Married, no kids, one dog. Husband is atheist. Husband's parents are theist (christians). Otherwise, we live a god-free life! Be great to get to know a few people here.

Oh yes, we are in England, in Surrey, just south of London. Smile[/font]
25-07-2013, 02:05 PM
(25-07-2013 01:49 PM)tessaten Wrote:  Hi there,

I'm almost finished the book "Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason", and just discovered Seth Andrews. Very impressed! Have been an active atheist for about 4 years; I was into religion (christianity) in my early 20s for a few years, but have been religion-free ever since (now late 40s). Married, no kids, one dog. Husband is atheist. Husband's parents are theist (christians). Otherwise, we live a god-free life! Be great to get to know a few people here.

Oh yes, we are in England, in Surrey, just south of London. Smile[/font]

Welcome to the forum. Surrey you say...

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
25-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I am a male heterosexual atheist from Nigeria and I am glad to be here. My twitter handle is @deezer234 and will be open to associating with like minded people.
I was born into an Anglican family but was never really convinced about the stories in the bible. I went through a lot of emotional turmoil thinking myself unworthy and assuming that was why i never fell at the touch of evangelists.
so glad i am out of that nonsense
[+] 2 users Like deezer234's post
25-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Howdy everyone.
I moved to Iowa from Texas in 2000, I would say "Buckle of the Bible Belt" but I think every atheist who isn't from a coast claims to be on the buckle, so I won't. But I am in possibly the most spiritual town in the US. It seems half the town is Christian, and the other half is what I call "Neo-Hindu" due to the presence in my town of a major hub of the TM organization, Maharishi University (really!) But I have a good time here, I'm not too closeted. Although I don't shout about my atheism, I don't have to hide it either. People are fairly fair in the fair fields of Iowa. I have a somewhat public persona due to my music and art, and here's where the irony of my life begins: I sing in a community choir that specializes in an early American musical form called "Sacred Harp" -- old hymns dating from colonial times. Don't laugh! I have always been a singer, and always sang in church choirs and catholic school choirs. I really get a charge from singing in group harmony, and here's this surprisingly ecumenical group singing particularly chewy harmony, and it's a great deal of fun. Another facet of the irony of my lifestyle is that until I was laid off a few months ago, I worked at a stained-glass window studio, and almost all the work we did was restoration of old church windows. Also a lot of fun. I have opened my own small studio now, and I'm designing my own windows, and you can bet there's not a single cross in my collection! The most fun thing I do is West African drumming. I'm in a local performing group, and occasionally sit in on gigs with a group in Des Moines. Now this is FUN! We are all middle-class white Americans, but we sound like the real thing.
So there you have it. I'm a hymn singing, church-window building ex-catholic atheist who plays african drums. Never could have pictured me here 40 years ago!
[+] 1 user Likes Paj's post
26-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Hi All

Living in the North of England, grew up in apartheid South Africa in a culturally (but not very religious) Jewish household, served in the Israeli military. Widely travelled and experienced many cultures. Was an agnostic for most of my life, but I think that this was due to intellectual laziness. Over the past ten years or so, have become more and more of a fundamentalist atheist.
Work in digital media, focussed on online video.

Nice to meet you all
B
26-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Intro
I'm an ex mormon (cringes), environment science major, and on your side in the debate for logic and reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Science1god0's post
26-07-2013, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 07:42 AM by knowlegelover.)
I'm an agnostic atheist who recently came out (give or take one and a half years) I am constantly in pursuit of knowlege and l like to talk about religion and science occasionally. I also like to read dystopian, fantasy and sci-fi novels- they give a glimpse of a reality that seems to say, "what if?"

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
26-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi,
I've been listening to the Podcast for about a year now.

I'm a gay New York City atheist. I'm just starting to feel comfortable telling my friends that I'm atheist, and the usual response I get is "Oh, no you're not! Don't be silly," as if being an atheist is something bad, and I'm not a bad person, so how could I possibly be an atheist? I find this frustrating, but as they're my friends (or in many cases, family), I just sort of shrug it off. I'm thinking of creating a letter (as Seth did), to explain how I feel, but not entirely sure it would be the best thing to do.

In any case, I've been a silent observer of the Thinking Atheist for a while, and decided to jump in and test the waters.

best wishes,

M
26-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome to TTA guys and gals!

(25-07-2013 09:19 PM)Paj Wrote:  I sing in a community choir that specializes in an early American musical form called "Sacred Harp" -- old hymns dating from colonial times. Don't laugh! I have always been a singer, and always sang in church choirs and catholic school choirs.

Haha I used to play in the schools church band cause it got me out of classes, even though I was Atheist even then....me and my buddy Louie (a drummer) would sneak the instrumentals for everything from Super Mario to Tool's Sober in before and after services Tongue

Also does this sacred harp have anything to do with the awesome The Band song?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 559 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 211 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 589 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 3,894 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 723 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,720 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,608 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever