Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
13-05-2011, 07:49 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello folks. I'm Colin.

I'm just another white adult male, on my second marriage, struggling to make ends meet in Michigan. I can't say that there's anything particularly special about me. On the religious front, my mother made the family attend a Covenant church while I was young. I suspect my father went in order to keep the peace, as he's never shown any devout tendencies. Never did have a talk with him about gods or the lack thereof, we've always been on the same page without needing much discussion. I never believed, though as most of us in America do, I do swear as a Christian. Goddammit being a favorite. My mother finally gave up the struggle when I was twelve, and exempted me from the forced church attendance. Fortunately, for the sake of family ties, she's never been the 'if you don't believe you're no son of mine' type, and our relationship has remained reasonably close.

Most of the time, my rejection of the supernatural hasn't been an issue in my personal life. I never gave anyone grief for believing, unless they were obnoxious about it. One highschool classmate denounced me for following Satan after she learned that I enjoyed playing Dungeons and Dragons every other week with some friends. That was really my first taste of just how out of tune with reality true believers could be.

I think this ought to be good for a first introduction. Anything else relevant will undoubtedly be revealed with time and posting activity.

Cheers!
15-05-2011, 01:18 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Omar. I'm a 15 years old mexican-american and over the last 6 months I have lost my religion through various articles, books, and videos. I consider myself agnostic and am an existential nihilist to a certain degree.

Hopefully with the information I gather here I can convert theist into atheist through the means of debate. I'm looking forward to gathering information and discuss about varying topics here in the near-future, and that's my bio.
15-05-2011, 08:25 AM
(07-05-2011 11:43 PM)Bezo Wrote:  Greetings. I am Bezo. I am 33 years old. I am a singer and composer who does internet reviews with my wife for giggles. I have 2 cats and a dog. And I hate religion in all its forms.

I too, am a guitarist, as seen on the balls/vagina photo page. I have been a metal guitarist/teacher for years. I have a small digital recording studio, as many musicians do now days. Music is audio math, so I'm guessing that do to atheists being thinkers, there will be a lot of musicians here. I'm guessing a thread of that type will pop up from time to time.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Hello, everyone! My name is Eric, I am a 37-year-old mathematician, and have been an atheist for about 22 years. For over a year now I have been posting on AtheistForums.com under a different name. That was actually my first foray into internet culture, and I've generally found it to be an incredibly rewarding experience. I've met some really great people, and so now I'm branching out a bit to see what's out there.

I think it's important for nonbelievers to have an outlet for congregating with their own kind - especially young people. When I became an atheist, it was hard not to feel alone: I only knew one other person that was like me. And I was lucky; even though I received 12 years of religious schooling, I'm from a blue state and was raised in a relatively moderate Catholic environment. As I discovered when I briefly married into a fundamentalist family in young adulthood, there are some pretty un-hospitable environments for non-believers, and this was only reinforced by my experience on AF, talking to teenagers who live with strict fundamentalists and even grown adults who live in less-than-tolerant parts of the world.

My hope is that Internet forums can serve as a refuge for people who need to escape from the repression of their lives, and that I can play a part in providing that refuge. I also love a good intellectual discussion, and I am looking forward to contributing to more than a few (and this forum certainly looks promising in that regard).

And to meet some more really cool people. Smile
15-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Greetings, one and all,

A freethinker in south-central Louisiana here who has been skeptical for much of my life but also quite devoutly engaged in one of the more liberal branches of Christianity. I am now firmly an atheist and wish that I could bring the whole world, or at least my immediate family, into the sunlight of an open, skeptical, freethinking mind. 54 Years old and working in retail management while living in a deeply Roman Catholic area. Feh! Who said it'd be easy? Looking forward to stimulating interaction with the wider atheist community.

Ciao!

Jonathan
15-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Hello, (more or less) Rational People!

I'm a 41 year old man who was raised Catholic and who -- very gradually beginning around age 14 -- found the Catholic dogma to be more and more difficult to believe. As I pursued my interests in the "hard sciences" I became a devout believer in the scientific method and approach, even insofar as it can be judiciously applied to the "soft(er) sciences" and metaphysics.

Perhaps it goes without saying that training in science led me to take a more dispassionate and unassuming look into religious belief, and to my surprise I found it wasn't Catholicism in particular that I felt was invalid, but religious belief itself.

Further reading, contemplation, and world events have pushed me now to the point where I no longer hold religious belief to be simply invalid: I hold it to be harmful. To be clear, I don't necessarily think that it is harmful in all individual cases, but in aggregate it retards human progress and society far more than it helps.

I look forward to some interesting discussions with you all.

djvbmd
16-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Hi, I've been an atheist since I was 12. I was bullied in school so I stayed quiet until college. Now I'm not afraid anymore.
17-05-2011, 02:41 AM

Hi everyone I just joined the board. My name is obviously Adam Boozer. I live in 'The Rocket City' Huntsville, Alabama. I run a blog at http://boozeria.blogspot.com/ and I have a facebook at http://m.facebook.com/?w2m&_rdr#!/B0ozer...1305620610

I was raised in the bible belt, brainwashed from birth to believe in god, ford trucks, Alabama football, and whatever else they thought was appropriate. I cannot put an exact time when I started doubting. I would say when I found about the easter bunny, so four years old. It was not until this year that I was able to recognize that I am atheist. I spent most of my time as agnostic . I am 19 now.

Recently I have been trying to find others like myself. It is terribly lonely being surrounded by republican dogma spouting cavemen. I was already isolated because of my stature and mental capabilities in science and technology. Not to sound hubris or anything merely stating facts. If it makes you feel better I am dyslexic.

The people who helped me realize who I really am in order. George Carlin, My 8th grade history teacher quoting socrates, Darwin, Louis C.K., Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Dainel Dennett, and several other comedians.

I am openly atheist to people. I try and explain why I believe what I do but most of the time I teach people to think for themselves then tell them.

I am headed to the University of South Alabama where I will study E-Commerce while simultaneously doing ROTC to become an USAF Intelligence Officer.
17-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Hi everybody!
First off, my name is Molly I live in Denver, Colorado and I'm only 19 years old. Although I am pretty young I have seen the negative effects of religion quite a lot.
I was raised to be a Roman Catholic and the good thing about it was that my parents are very tolerant people.
I went to Catholic school for several years as a child and I realize now how horrifying the experience was to my mental well-being. I was left-handed originally and the nuns that ran my school would harass and hit me for being left-handed, telling me it was an abomination. They forced me to write right-handed and by third grade my hand writing was completely atrocious, they harassed me again and again because of it. I was nine years old... what kind of person is so harsh toward a kid because of such silly things? That definitely turned me off from the people involved in Catholicism. Two years ago when I was seventeen years old, I started thinking that if religion were true they would not be so intolerant towards people who are different. They should've been teaching love and grace, all these things they claim to be teaching. My parents were not disappointed to find out that I am an atheist, in fact my dad was raised as an atheist so he understood where I was coming from. I'm a lot happier now knowing that I don't have to appease to a god that doesn't exist.
17-05-2011, 01:22 PM

hello, guys! my name is Leslie and I am 30 years old, as of sunday Smile

I have been an atheist off and on since I was 16 years old. before that I believed on some level that there was a god out there in control of things, but didn't go to church or read the bible. when my grandmother died at the age of 60 from complications of alzheimer's when I was 16 years old, I distinctly remember walking to my friend's house and stopping on the corner before his house and saying aloud for all to hear, after saying it my head, that there is no god. from then until I was about 20 years old, I didn't believe in god. at 20 I started my back and forth journey between believing and not believing, most 'phases' lasting mere months to, at most, a year. I would be 100 percent sure each and every time I either believed or didn't. I even made friends with pastors and went to church. I got involved in methodists, catholics, and jews. I took comparitive religion classes in college and philosophy classes, where I thought critically about whichever way I believed. it wasn't until a little after my 29th birthday that I shed belief for what I hope is my last time. belief in god and all that that entails is so tantilizing to me sometimes, but have been able to maintain my atheism fully intact for a year now, and I am very happy about that.

on my facebook page over the last week, and hopefully indefinitely into the future, I have been posting various bible inconsistencies and atrocties for my friends to view. today was the first time since I started posting these that I have yet to get a response. I was tired of reading my religious friends religion soaked status updates. during this time I also stumbled upon TTA on facebook and youtube and decided to check out this forum.
Thread Closed