Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-07-2013, 01:45 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(30-07-2013 12:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 11:42 PM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Hello there, I'm a 16-year old guy from Malaysia Smile I'm not atheist, but I'm a free-thinker. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE :B

Wait, does this mean you are a believer, a religious person? Well then, you need to check out the meaning of the word "oxymoron".

Tongue

Welcome, glad to have you here, we shall test that "free-thinking" of yours, don't you worry.

Thumbsup

Well, that's where the difference starts Wink A free thinker isn't obligated to believe in any form of higher power (I don't) but he/she can choose to follow the good ways of multiple religions, i.e. simply doing good things as they are to oneself.

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 01:48 AM
(30-07-2013 01:45 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 12:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  Wait, does this mean you are a believer, a religious person? Well then, you need to check out the meaning of the word "oxymoron".

Tongue

Welcome, glad to have you here, we shall test that "free-thinking" of yours, don't you worry.

Thumbsup

Well, that's where the difference starts Wink A free thinker isn't obligated to believe in any form of higher power (I don't) but he/she can choose to follow the good ways of multiple religions, i.e. simply doing good things as they are to oneself.

Atheism is the disbelief in a higher power, not in the good ways of multiple religions.

You can still be an atheist and follow the good ways of multiple religions. As long as you don't believe in a God.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
30-07-2013, 01:53 AM
(30-07-2013 01:48 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 01:45 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Well, that's where the difference starts Wink A free thinker isn't obligated to believe in any form of higher power (I don't) but he/she can choose to follow the good ways of multiple religions, i.e. simply doing good things as they are to oneself.

Atheism is the disbelief in a higher power, not in the good ways of multiple religions.

You can still be an atheist and follow the good ways of multiple religions. As long as you don't believe in a God.

Yeahhhh, whereby free-thinking is simply believing in what you choose to Big Grin

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
30-07-2013, 01:57 AM
(30-07-2013 01:53 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 01:48 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Atheism is the disbelief in a higher power, not in the good ways of multiple religions.

Yeahhhh, whereby free-thinking is simply believing in what you choose to Big Grin

Being a free thinker and an atheist isn't impossible.

Atheism has no creeds. Only ONE requirement: You don't believe in a higher power.

Atheism has no restrictions besides one.

30-07-2013, 02:02 AM
(30-07-2013 01:57 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 01:53 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Yeahhhh, whereby free-thinking is simply believing in what you choose to Big Grin

Being a free thinker and an atheist isn't impossible.

Atheism has no creeds. Only ONE requirement: You don't believe in a higher power.

In other words, near total freedom.

30-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Hi,
I'm a 24 year old, ethnically Chinese guy from Malaysia. I'm a student and currently in my 4th year of dental school. I consider myself an atheist. I absolutely reject the thought and existence of supernatural beings or phenomena, especially religion. I hold secular humanistic views in life and place immense stock in facts and evidence instead of faith and dogma. I joined this forum because I love The Thinking Atheist's channel on youtube (but not as much as Qualiasoup's... no offense Big Grin)
30-07-2013, 07:36 AM
(29-07-2013 07:38 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 12:04 PM)Tikbalang Wrote:  Tikbalang here, from Philippines. Nice to be here in TTA forums.

Welcome kababayan! Hope you enjoy it here. I know I do. Smile

Nice nickname. Can you find an avatar for that? Smile

Thanks Ivaneus! Glad there's a fellow Filipino Atheist here. As for the Tikbalang nick, I'm just too fond of reading Pinoy folklore of some sort and Tikbalang came to mind, although Aswang can also suffice. LOL! Maybe I will grab a Tikbalang pic soon and make it an avatar.
[+] 1 user Likes Tikbalang's post
30-07-2013, 07:41 AM
(30-07-2013 02:02 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 01:57 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Being a free thinker and an atheist isn't impossible.

I think you need to become a freethinker first to become an Atheist. That's my opinion though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
30-07-2013, 12:53 PM
(30-07-2013 02:02 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 01:57 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Being a free thinker and an atheist isn't impossible.

Its only restriction is that you have to have a disbelief in a higherpower. If you have a belief in a higher power, you aren't an atheist. If you don't, you are.

You can be religious, and still be an atheist.

In other words, more freedom than one might originally think.

30-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Ridethespiral asks me:
. . . does this sacred harp have anything to do with the awesome The Band song?

I have to confess I've never heard that before. It's a bit too yeeha for my taste. "Sacred Harp" is, I believe, a reference to some Bible passage or other that characterizes the human voice as the Sacred Harp. What we sing is colonial-era hymns in 4-part acapella harmony. I'd say google it or search on YouTube, but the recordings available sound absolutely awful! I'd hate for anyone to think we sound like that! There are some examples of Sacred Harp in the movie "Cold Mountain." A few years back my group produced a couple of CDs that sound better than most of what I've heard on the internet! The music is truly beautiful when sung well. Small community choirs like ours have kept the tradition alive for centuries, but mostly without any sort of musical training or skilled direction. We're different in that almost all of our members are alumni of more formal choirs, so we are inclined to make it sound good.
Thread Closed