Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-08-2013, 02:36 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello there.

I'm an atheist from Brazil, what can be somewhat frustrating in this largely catholic country. Not that there aren't others, I actually know a few, but for some reason little seen interested in talking this topic

Anyway, my English skills are good enough that I can find this conversation online. Wink

I've never been impressed with church my whole life, and though I consider that I passed for all stages (non-practicing believer, pantheistic, agnostic, atheist) - sometimes not having a name for how I felt back then, I actually referred to myself as an atheist as early as when I was 12, some 24 years ago.

So, first post formality finished, I'll go check out the threads. Looking forward to meet you all.

Regards Smile.
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a recently deconverted Christian Methodist from Alabama. I'm currently serving on active duty in the US Marine Corps, stationed in Europe. I took the plunge about a year ago to finally really look for answers to the questions that I always had about my religion. I re-read the Bible and then decided I'd like to hear what atheists have to say, because surely they couldn't be right, but maybe their arguments would help my faith. Obviously this wasn't the case, and well, here I am!
[+] 1 user Likes jofus87's post
10-08-2013, 10:29 AM
(10-08-2013 09:25 AM)jofus87 Wrote:  Hi everyone! I'm a recently deconverted Christian Methodist from Alabama. I'm currently serving on active duty in the US Marine Corps, stationed in Europe. I took the plunge about a year ago to finally really look for answers to the questions that I always had about my religion. I re-read the Bible and then decided I'd like to hear what atheists have to say, because surely they couldn't be right, but maybe their arguments would help my faith. Obviously this wasn't the case, and well, here I am!

We have a few military people around so your not alone in that foxhole. Welcome to TTA.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the forum newbies. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone!

I was born into a deeply religious Byzantine and Roman Catholic family. My mother told me that during a difficult child birth she "devoted" my life to the Lord if He were to save me and that I could be a Priest and serve Him if I so chose. She told me this when a teenager when I mentioned I was thinking of being a Priest and then aspired to become a Catholic Saint <- how delusional and narcissistic I was in my old neurotic belief systems.

Long story short, was a Jesuit Candidate but never became Priest, married, tortured I didn't become a Priest for decades out of guilt, failed marriages, became "Born Again" in my early thirties, studied various Protestant theologies, cycled through Pentecostalism, Presbyterianism, Ordained Deacon with plenty of service work, Lutheranism, etc. Nothing changed my neurotic beliefs, they only intensified. Third marriage, this time with two children, almost came to an end, I hit my bottom. I started challenging my belief system. Read, Dawkins, Harris, Dr. Bart Ehrman, Dr. Robert M. Price on the Atheist side, and read master theologians Ratzinger, NT Wright, McGrath on the Theist side and the Atheist side won!

Been a non-believer now for about 10 months. Came out to my cultural Christian wife about a month ago and she said she didn't have a problem with it. Our relationship, and my relationship with my kids has never been better. Neurosis gone for good!

I'm a big believer in ancient Stoic philosophy like Epictetus' works. I love current day psychology/philosophy of Dr. Albert Ellis and use his Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) to dispute irrational beliefs that pop into my head from time to time. It has been incredibly liberating. The REBT actually caused me to start challenging all the neurotic, irrational religious beliefs when I realized that my personal relationship with "Jesus Christ" was evidentially non-existent.

Now I have personal relationship with reality. Smile

I have a Twitter account "Whip Leather" @CaptKram1963 if you ever want to check me out.

To The Thinking Atheist:
Thank you for your website and Podcast "The Thinking Atheist" which feeds my rational thought processes tremendously. I owe you a debt of gratitude and will support you financially when I can.

Best,
CaptKram1963 or my alter ego "Whip Leather" Smile

Keep it going!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 10:41 AM by Kari93.)
Hi guys!

I'm a 20 year old lesbian, and a new atheist (though it's been coming for years!). I was raised from birth in an Assemblies of God church that my great-grandparents founded; needless to say I'm the black sheep. I'm closeted in more ways than one from much of my family, I've been trying to gather the courage to come out and let them know who I really am. In the meantime, after finally shaking loose the chains of fear and childhood indoctrination, I've been absorbing as much information about the natural world, logic, and reason as I possibly can. TheThinkingAtheist is one of my favorites. =D

Well, I'll try to avoid too much rambling about myself, but it's great to finally be able to take part in this community, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. <3
11-08-2013, 05:34 PM
My name is Richard, I am 35 and have been somewhat in and out of my mind, I mean religion, over the first 18 years of my life. Since then I have not really bothered at all and only in the last 3-4 years or so really started considering calling myself an atheist.
12-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi All! Just a quick blurb about me. 37 yr old. I was raised in a very strict mormon family. I officially left the mormon religion in 2009 but had never fit in with or believed their ideals growing up. Although certain aspects of their brainwashing did have a lasting effect on my mental health. I survived abuse at the hands of leaders, members, family and eventually an exhusband who was supported by church leader's. I have come to realize after many years of hard work and healing that I am athiest agnostic. I have a lot to learn after all the years of being told females are for reproduction and education is not something to be focused on. I'm not sure yet if I will be posting so much as lurking at first, but I just wanted to tell a little about me and say that I'm here.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion[/size]
Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes gingermcpastry's post
12-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Welcome aboard Capt, Kari,rsecor and ginger.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
12-08-2013, 10:57 AM
hello everyone!

I'm an 24 year old atheist from the Philippines. I was born into a Catholic family, but I've been a skeptic pretty much my whole life. Growing up in a place full of religious people is though ( I am the only atheist In our City ... go figure), so I keep my beliefs in this case lack of them to myself, because most of the people here just won't accept that, you might as well be a Devil worshiper. They define an atheist the same as a devil worshiper ( LOL! how stupid is that), anyway that's why I'm here, to exchange ideas and thoughts with you guys[/font].

Oh yeah!, English is not my first Language but its good enough for conversation. So sorry if sometimes my grammar is kind of hard to understand.

Looking forward to meet you all Evil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monster

I'd rather go to hell and be myself, than go to heaven pretending to be someone else.
Thread Closed