Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-05-2011, 03:27 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey all!!!

i'm 28, recently graduated from architecture masters program in brooklyn, ny, and i think i've always been the sort of questioner since i wondered beyond, 'it's god's will, answer, plan, etc'

i've never looked into podcasts or forums or websites that advocate freethinking and non-believers, and well...reasoning. But now that i've found it, it's been quite refreshing.

i'm pretty sure i'm not the out-of-the-ordinary type non-believer: grew up going to CCD and doing the catholic church, baptism, communion, etc, but was always curious and wondering about everything and that sort of led me down the rabbit hole into finding out that the world was much more interesting than just saying 'it was god' or 'i have faith' and being satisfied with that as the reason the world is the way it is. i've not looked back since finding supportive people and talking thing through with others that have to deal with mysticism (celestine prophecy) and it's much more satisfying to know that things like The Thinking Atheist and Atheismtube.com exist along with Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett, etc to really bring the point to the mainstream.

Glad to find good and a reasonable community, i wonder, are there any local nyc atheist groups that meet up and talk about a variety of topics?
Find all posts by this user
21-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Rainbow An American Resident
Hi,

This is Nova. I was religious for the first 29 years of my life until recently I started to question the truth of my own faith, traditions, family values & belief system.

I explored more about other major religions to seek if I find truth in them. All were same about its respective fictional character claiming to be the truth & not living up to its own character.

Then, I turned to science & the secret of energy attraction & the universe in motion that we are in.

I found truth in science in its honesty about claiming what it has found as the truth & its openness about to dismiss its own found truth should it find new information or evidences to claim new conclusion.

Science is as it is based on physical evidences. It doesn't need to attract its followers & it doesn't need to maintain the truth as the absolute. We are in the ever changing Universe with its laws & motions of energy & Science is what keeps us in its motion of truth as of now and of this moment.

This is summary of what I have found so far.

Religious books are fictional moral books. Many believe they hold the absolute truth & that they need to defend their religions & dominate humanity for their perceived God. These people’s thoughts & actions spread intolerance, confusion, discrimination & hate among humans for mutual destructions.

Once people seek the truth & take the religious teachings as moral guides but discard the characters of the fictions as the truth; love, tolerance, mutual respects, understanding & unity will evolve in our minds to live united & stand strong as humanity.

To make sense out of nonsense that we will be shipped at death to a new world of heaven or hell to survive with other living forms for eternity is a mental formation, a product of mind out of fears for unknown, attachment to self & its relationships with loved ones body forms .

When we reject the attachment to this temporal body form of energy, we are united with the universe at the energy level as the truth. Energy of confusion, illusion, intolerance, differences & hate in our mind will fade away & love, tolerance, truth & unity for everything around us survives.

We will live as an energy form & at the present. There will be no fear of death once we realize we are just an energy form which born & die but the energy is as it is, circulating through various forms of elements everywhere in the universe.

Energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. Energy takes forms & changes from one form to other through various forms. Energy changed its form from vacuum to the big explosion creating fundamental forms of energy that exist now. Hydrogen, helium & other light elements which make up most of the Sun took their forms of energy at the time of explosion. All heavier elements that exist & are listed on the periodic table are the evolution of energy forms, the products of nuclear reactions occurring in stars & supernova explosions. Stars, sun, moon, planets such as earth & all that earth has including our body form are made up of these fundamental elements at its unit level.

Self is mental formation, a product of mind based on identification & judgment. For one to recognize one’s physical body, one’s relatives, one’s environment, one's belief systems & anything that define a person as a self, one needs to receive the sensations through body, thoughts through mind, perceptions through environment & consciousness through energy & the laws of nature.

We need energy as the fuel to think consciously, to receive sensations, to perceive our environment, to identify self & to judge others to set self apart from the rest. Once our body fails to absorb energy from the universe to function in system with the laws & motions of the universe, we die from our body form & the elements of the energy forms go back to the Universe.

This universe is one energy field. We are energy in living form & we are dependent on the surrounding energy forms for our survival. We are neither created nor destroyed at our energy level. We change our form from living body to non living mass of body at our death. When we die, we give back all the elements that made up our body form. The course of nature will decay our body form up to its elements of energy. What traps the energy & which form it takes has unlimited potentials.

Such cycles of life & death of different forms of evolution continues as long as the energy at the space level sustains their current forms & continue motions & laws allowing these forms the environment to evolve, to survive & to thrive.

Truth, Nova

[/color][/size][/font]
21-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Hi folks! How lovely that I've decided to join on the day of the rapture. Rolleyes

I'm Nicole, 30 years old and live in Richmond, VA with my Christian husband and our non-theist dog.

I was raised Catholic and attended CCD classes until the 8th grade. Once you hit the 8th grade is when the Confirmation shit starts, and I refused. I was never really a believer in the first place. My mother was not Catholic but more of an agnostic who was raised Methodist and my father was a "Catholic" who repeatedly cheated on my mother. (They didn't divorce until i was 18).

Any shred of possibility to have belief in a god in my heart left in 2007 when my nephew died at 4 months from SIDS. It made some of my family grow stronger in their faith and drove me wildly away.

In 2010 my father in law who was otherwise healthy had a brain bleed and has been quadriplegic since. Mind you.. this happened while he was cycling across the country. Again... has driven me further away..... has driven him and my mother in law even closer to god.

Like I said before... my husband is Christian.... he knew before he married me that I was not and did not have the potential to ever be so. I love gay people too much and spend a lot of my activist time being a queer ally.

So that is my story. I also write, read, and sell zines (http://www.clickclackdistro.com) and I am a runner, albeit a slow one.
21-05-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm new here..
Hello! I'm Lenard. 27 years old.. I was trapped in an asylum called "religion" for 25 years of my entire life. 2 years ago, under my own personal decision, I decided that I have the right to live my life with freedom from everything. I emancipated myself from being enslaved under my traditional religion's indoctrination or should I say, poisonous grasp. For the past 2 years, I felt better and happier. I love to be a natural..and being an atheist is completely natural. Please do add me in FB and keep in touch, lejarn27@yahoo.com.

This original world (of atheism) is where I belong. It's where we should belong... all of us.
21-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Hi community,

My name's Andy. I love to run, play tennis, read up on philosophy, play piano, and above all the rest sleep. Angel

I'll see you all around. :-)
22-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Hi. I'm Srikar from NJ. I have never been a staunch religious prick head, so my conversion was pretty smooth and eventless.

Nice meeting you all here.
22-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi:

I'm from BC, Canada, am nearly 70, was raised High Anglican, gave it up (under interesting circumstances) when I was 17. A boy I had dated in high school came back from his first year in university, and trying to impress me (for the usual reason), paraded some of his new, leather-patches-on-his-elbows pipe-smoking philosophy: he asked me if God had created man, or if man had created God.

It ruined his evening, heh heh....all I wanted to do was discuss that question. It's old hat now, of course. But at the time, it was a lightning bolt of new thought - taking an intellectual approach to religion rather than blind faith.

So what do I believe now? Nothing. I am quite content with "I don't know," as an answer to the unanswerable.
22-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Greetings ,

Long time UK Atheist , looking to increase my experience.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
[/font][/size]

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
Find all posts by this user
22-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Hi
I'm Tim and I live in New Zealand. I'm in my late 50's and I'm sick of the whole religion thing. I've never been religious and as I get older I become less tolerant of it. (of other things too! ;-) ) In my small "city", a town really by international standards, (pop 40-50k) it seems a new church opens weekly. As soon as a substantial building becomes vacant it becomes another church-Christian,invariably.
Recently someone wrote to the local rag complaining that atheists views had been published and that they were sick of Christianity being marginalised!!!!!!!!!I wrote an Atheist reply but, of course, it was not published. It appears to me that if you are a Christian that you have greater rights in regard to being heard and respected than if you are not. Christianity is a business and as such the "man" at the top gets the greatest benefit. We have a nation wide church called destiny church and it's a cult by any other name and I have great difficulty understanding the appeal, maybe there are more people who feel the need to escape reality?, and of, tithing is a big part of this church. I'm speaking to the converted I know but thank God you are out there ;-)))))))))))))!!
22-05-2011, 05:56 PM

It feels so refreshing to find and join this wonderful group of people who enjoy learning and have the ability to step over the mental road block religion places in minds. On our side of this road block...a yearning for knowledge, common sense, rational thought, logical deductions, and the ability to re-think ideas when data, facts, and evidence lead us to new discoveries.

After slapping my forehead all weekend long anytime this rapture was mentioned, I stumbled upon a number of thinkingatheist videos and I could not stop watching them!!! Absolutely terriffic! I knew there had to be people like myself out there and I look forward to sharing ideas and listening to people's thoughts here.

We are in a truly magnificent time right now... Science has given us an understanding of the cosmos that our ancestors could never dream of. Although religion is a lead weight that slows the progression of the human species (stuck in thought processes that existed thousands of years ago) I am cautiously optimistic that more and more people will stop buying the product that churches sell.
Thread Closed