Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
05-09-2013, 01:08 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, I'm Zach.

I am 29. I was raised Pentecostal/charismatic/hyper-charismatic (signs and wonders Censored ) and started asking questions a few years ago. Without answers, I stopped going to church. I was turned on to some Lutheran pod casts and essentially converted to a more fundamental version of Christianity.

In the midst of my researching the bible I started to have questions about the legitimacy of scripture and started researching contradictions in the Bible. I started with the Skeptic's Annotated Bible and then found the TTA pod casts. And here I am. I spend at least an hour a day listening to TTA while I drive to/from work. It has been refreshing since I have no one to talk to about how I truly feel.

I can now say that I am an agnostic. At least where I am now, I think it would be too arrogant to say what I know for sure, so I am content in saying that I just have no idea other than religions and Christianity are false. (Writing that last sentence was a milestone for me btw)

I can't come out right now, as my wife would probably lose it if she knew how I really feel. I have tested the waters with the topic and she knows that I have doubts but based on conversations I know telling her how I feel would be terrible. The sad thing is I am happier now than I ever have been not feeling fear and not judging everyone because I have "the answer" and the "right version of Christianity" and even other "'Christians' aren't even Christian because they listen to false prophets", etc. It is so draining. I have no idea how I ever used the bible as a model for morality and thought that I was a good person while feeling contempt in my heart for people that I didn't even know.

Needless to say, I feel free, yet somehow chained because I am still in the closet.

I'm glad to be a part of the community and hope to learn a lot here, especially a lot of the science that has been misrepresented to me my entire life!

-Zach
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like zachzachzachzach's post
05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I became a non-believer after years of attending Passover with the in-laws and started to wonder why this loving God couldn't come up with a better plan other than killing the 1st born to accomplish his objective. Then I started to question other stories like the story of Abraham offering his son Isaac as a sacrifice. If I were Abraham it would have been time to find a new God.

After reading some good books like The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible by Ruth Green it became very apparent that to worship the God of Abraham should be a ticket straight to hellSmile. This God would be convicted of war crimes and sentenced to death in the modern world.

I especially like the fact that the Original Sin of disobedience has to do with eating fruit from the Tree of Knowledge. I would have thought this would have been a serious crime like murder, rape or ?, but when you think about it the biggest threat to the people who continue to use religion for power and money is knowledge. It kind of shows that the creators of the bible obviously knew this was a scam against the uneducated.

Ruth Green points to Luke 10:21 Education and knowledge gained from maturity lead to eternal damnation, because they threaten blind faith.
[+] 3 users Like Lono's post
05-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Evil_monster Hi, I'm the IrishFireDragon, a name. I'm a 37 yr old disabled housewife. I spend my time on the internet finding information and passing it on. I love to cook and bake. Not much else to say. Oh, and I'm addicted to coffee. Drinking Beverage Rolleyes Have a great day, being rushed out the door. talk to everyone later. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes IrishFireDragon's post
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi there. This is my first post on this forum.

I'm 40 and live in the south, and am a (mostly) closeted agnostic. I grew up in a religious family, and am surrounded by mostly Christians by virtue of living in the Bible Belt. Only a handful of people know that I've abandoned my former faith.

I was full-out Christian for most of my life - in fact, at one point I was convinced that I was being "called" into ministry. About five years ago, I started really reading the Bible (ironically, in an effort to deepen my faith) and found a lot of horrible stuff in there. When I couldn't reconcile the errors and atrocities in the Bible, I started questioning everything I thought I knew. Over the course of about three years, my faith completely unraveled. I've classified myself as agnostic ever since.

I look forward to the day when I get the courage to be completely transparent about my change in beliefs. For now, though, I'm just looking for some like-minded folks with whom I can associate - if only virtually.
[+] 1 user Likes mitch's post
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
(05-09-2013 03:09 PM)Lono Wrote:  I became a non-believer after years of attending Passover with the in-laws and started to wonder why this loving God couldn't come up with a better plan other than killing the 1st born to accomplish his objective. Then I started to question other stories like the story of Abraham offering his son Isaac as a sacrifice. If I were Abraham it would have been time to find a new God.

After reading some good books like The Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible by Ruth Green it became very apparent that to worship the God of Abraham should be a ticket straight to hellSmile. This God would be convicted of war crimes and sentenced to death in the modern world.

I especially like the fact that the Original Sin of disobedience has to do with eating fruit from the Tree of Knowledge. I would have thought this would have been a serious crime like murder, rape or ?, but when you think about it the biggest threat to the people who continue to use religion for power and money is knowledge. It kind of shows that the creators of the bible obviously knew this was a scam against the uneducated.

Ruth Green points to Luke 10:21 Education and knowledge gained from maturity lead to eternal damnation, because they threaten blind faith.
05-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Hello all
I am new here. I hope to share many theism thinking here.
06-09-2013, 10:10 AM
(05-09-2013 06:26 PM)5senses Wrote:  Hello all

Welcome.

Did you mean "theism"?

Ohmy

06-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Welcome too, to Lono, IrishFireDragon and Mitch.

One of you sounds very scary.

and Zachx4 but I see you have got stuck in already.

Welcome all.

06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
(06-09-2013 10:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 06:26 PM)5senses Wrote:  Hello all

Welcome.

Did you mean "theism"?

Ohmy
06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Opps.
I mean atheist thinking or ideas.
Sorry my English is not good.
[+] 2 users Like 5senses's post
Thread Closed