Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(12-09-2013 08:31 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Welcome!

What the fuck should I call you? Huh
LOL ... gotta love Ascii characters... this has been my gamer/forum tag since forever... Half Insane is the translation Evil_monster

p.s. my avatar is my coming out of the Atheist closet tattoo on my calf Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ½îñ§ÅÑΣ's post
13-09-2013, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2013 12:49 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
Hello to all reading and caring Smile

I wave with a greeting, I speak with art.

You're welcome to explore my little youtube page that could. (I have finally uploaded a nice video I found on it. Smile)
(NEW USERS CAN'T POST LINKS IN THEIR INTROS, THIS IS TO CUT DOWN ON SPAMMING)
[+] 1 user Likes LetterOfBelief's post
14-09-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm Joe,
A forty-mumble year old ex-limey now living in Australia. I'm a life-long atheist, but was heavily exposed to the Anglican church through school and scouts. Australia was a bit of a surprise after the UK, everyone is a lot more open about their religion than in the UK, and I've been shocked to find that someone that I work with is a creationist. My wife was raised in a JW family but went to a Catholic school. She was a quiet believer but over the last few years has got heavily involved in the local church and gets very defensive about her faith. I'm a big fan of Darrel Ray, the Atheist Experience, and of course, Seth. My favourite, however, has to be Hitch - with his wit and turn of phrase, and a soothing voice. I'm sad that I didn't discover him until after his death.
[+] 1 user Likes JoeInOz's post
14-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Hello there ... 33 year old married mom of 3 boys living in Central Indiana. I work in the veterinary field; he's in IT. I like reading, gardening, "camping" in state parks with RVs and air-conditioning and showers, playing board / card games, taking my kids to the park, Redditing, eating bacon, and sleeping in.
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinkHer's post
15-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Howdy, I'm a 66 year old retired trial lawyer. I live in Colorado Springs. I have been married for 44 years, we have one son and one grandson. I think I have been an atheist since I was able to reason but I didn't announce it to my family until I was 14. That caused more than a little bit of trouble that I won't go into here.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
15-09-2013, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2013 01:31 PM by Hypatia.)
I lost my faith with no help from the Internet. A little child led me.

My last child is crazy intelligent. Whose child isn't, right? This is an empirical statement. I have another child of above average intelligence, but not like this, so I recognize and appreciate the difference.

We moved back to the Bible Belt after twenty plus years of military service and I was bent on continuing the $$Christian school education$$ my children enjoyed for a collective fourteen years. Christian school was my hedge against sketchy school systems that inevitably slouch outside the gates of most military bases, DoD schools notwithstanding. The public school here is superior and I was more than willing to supplement the secular curriculum that was heavy on science and math; a family passion.

(The stories my husband would tell us of the religious fervor of men who wanted to kill him in the sands of Iraq began anew my questions about my own faith tradition. Geography had to play a part in what we believed, right? This suddenly seemed so obvious that I was ashamed I had never considered it before. I hold two degrees. It doesn't make me better than anyone, but I certainly have less excuse for willful ignorance. I was operating in preservation mode, as many military spouses do, trying to keep equilibrium on the home front at the cost of personal growth or intellectual fulfillment. Fret not- I did work in DC with a great group of politicos once upon a time....those were the best years of my professional life.)

SO>>>>>I grudgingly ordered the ABEKA $$Flash-a-Card$$ curriculum. On the eve of 5th grade for my most inquisitive child, I pulled out the first card; the Creation story. I sat on the floor and gazed at the poster. I was instantly six years old, seated at my own grandmother's feet as she gently taught me and my friends the sanitized stories from the KJV on a flannel board in the musty basement of the same church I had now tentatively begun to attend with my own children.

I could feel the eyes of a child over my shoulder boring into the picture card. The illustration was resplendent with lush vegetation, the center of which was the apple tree, a serpent draped languidly over the lower branch. Two very white humans stand to one side. Very unceremoniously my child blurts, "REALLY? Magic fruit and a talking reptile? REAALLY?".

A long, guilty pause as I tried to reconcile fact with fantasy for my child who wants nothing more than to engineer a building taller than the Burj Khalifa.

"Nope." I replied "No way in Hell....if there even IS one....."

My child tried to suppress a giggle. I wept to myself. I was free, but mourning a support structure that was gone in the twinkling of an eye.

Thus completed my de-conversion. A process that began when I was an adolescent seated in the third row of the Independent Fundamental Missionary Baptist Church of Smallville and had the audacity to question the genetic likelihood of Noah and his children repopulating the Earth after the Great Flood.

Yeah....and add to it that I am still markedly Libertarian...I am one lonely girl. Surrounded by Jesus soaked soccer moms and angry, vile - never -been Christian Atheists....here I am cowering somewhere in the middle, pretending that I am moved when someone says they'll pray for me, and carrying a concealed weapon to Whole Foods.
[+] 7 users Like Hypatia's post
15-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi! Just found this place and I'm looking for people to talk to. I have no friends (that I know of) who are atheist and so it's difficult. My divorce last year was the last straw for my former religion. God joined me with this horrible man? (thanks for nothing) And now that I've finally gotten free, I'M the one who has sinned. Nope no way. I haven't done anything wrong.
Nice to meet you all!

I'm not normally like this.
[+] 2 users Like sieve's post
15-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Wow - a whole page of n00bs! We're an international crowd so you are likely to get feedback from all over the planet. I'm so glad you're all here, checking out the space, and tasting a bit of the freedom you deserve.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-09-2013, 01:40 PM
*Waves*

Hello to folks.

Dropping a post to be neighborly and friendly, like. Smile

Very much cheers to all.
16-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Hello and welcome to all. Especially looking forward to hearing more from Hypatia!

Thread Closed