Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
23-09-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, my name is Don and I was a Christian for 25+ years & involved in lay ministry (music, home group leader) for most of that time. Came to my senses 2.5 yrs ago.

"A man should look for what is, and not he thinks should be"
Albert Einstein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DBLaGoo's post
23-09-2013, 07:09 PM
My name is Theresa and I live in Nebraska. I was raised Catholic and left the church once I went to college. I have been an atheist for 1.5-2 years and I am looking forward to living the rest of my life, my way.

--------------------------------------------------

“Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one.” -Richard Dawkins
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TessaStine's post
24-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I suppose it's about time I finally introduced myself.

My name is Paul. I'm an electrician with IBEW local 353, and I live in Ontario, Canada. I listen to "The Thinking Atheist" while I work. Seth is like a good friend; almost like a brother to me as he speaks to me through his podcasts as I work. I look forward to them every week; I believe they keep me sane.

I challenged my own religious beliefs when my son was going to be born, back around 2000. That started a process that led me through deism, agnosticism, and then finally atheism.

I recently changed careers to become part of a trade union, partially because I am an out atheist. I can't be denied work because of my lack of belief; as long as I pay my dues, I'm guaranteed the same employment rights as everyone else.

While I was brought up with a very liberal version of Christianity (United Church of Canada), the very fact that it was liberal made it all the more insidious. My questions early on weren't met with anger; they were met with kindness that made me embarrassed to have asked such questions. My Christian beliefs really affected how I saw people and the world, affected my grades (I'd pray to pass a test or exam instead of study), and generally held me back in life. I'd see obstacles that needed to be overcome as signs from God that I was going in the wrong direction.

Needless to say, my son views religion with the same skeptical eye as I do now, and, unlike me, is a straight A student who tackles obstacles. I'm hoping to one day be a grandparent of a generation of my family completely free of religion to see how high we can fly.
[+] 1 user Likes Paul the Atheist's post
24-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi, my name is Deborah. I'm a 20 year old college student who was raised in a very conservative (nearly fundamentalist, though they wouldn't admit that) Calvinist church and has just recently begun to look for my own answers to the questions that religion and dogma doesn't satisfy. I'm still very much in the process of discovering myself outside of the church; I'm still a member of a congregation but I don't think that will last much longer.
Listening to the podcast has been a great resource for me as I've begun to truly embrace both thinking and atheism, and I hope that this forum will be as well!
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
24-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Whats up guys!?

I'm BurLurv and I saw a post on this website about creating matter that greatly interested me and had to make an account when I seen that this is a community of intelligent people that I can learn from, in fact I wanted to go to bed 40 minutes ago haha!

I am an atheist despite being surrounded by Catholicism my whole life because I like to follow logic to find answers.. which is only normal if you ask me and Christianity in my opinion is something created by greedy pigs that want an excuse to live comfortably at the expense of most of the world.. its dying out thankfully, i feel awful for all the people it dragged down.. i also feel it hindered the evolution of human consciousness greatly. I believe the universe is God so im not entirely sure if I could be considered strictly atheist, someone please correct me there!?
I love philosophy, gets the brain in full gear!
Alan Watts, Terence McKenna .... GENIUS!

God was created by man to stop us questioning while they created boundaries ... Our generation will recognize this and we will destroy those boundaries with the use of logic and psychedelic tools!

Am i being to forward? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes BurLurv's post
24-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm a girl cam form Chicago, simple, determined and a loving person.
It makes me smile when I gather more ideas from different forum and
one thing for sure it makes me happy when I am capable of sharing
my knowledge and ideas. Thank you
25-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Welcome all Smile
25-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm Chopdoc and I am looking forward to talking with thinking people on any number of topics--particularly philosophy and religious thought. I was raised in a fundamentalist home, indoctrinated early ("accepted" Jesus around age 7), and spent my teen years suffering from the cognitive disconnect and doubt that comes with being presented with facts in school that contradicted what I had previously been taught in church. After a long and tedious process I was able to walk away from religious affiliation and have been a non-believer for several years. My family is still religious and after a few "interactions" we've agreed to disagree in the area of faith and the church. I studied music, and philosophy/religious thought in school and am still fascinated with religion and its impact on humanity. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find other people who are willing (or able) to discuss these topics in a rational manner and I'm hopeful that I can do that here in this forum.
Nice to meet you all and thanks for reading this introduction!
25-09-2013, 11:26 AM
(31-08-2010 02:31 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  I'm an ancient curmudgeon, an unbeliever in monotheistic deities since my earliest days, and a semi-retired atmospheric scientist. Recently, I've become more agressively atheist because I'm concerned for the survival of the species - when monotheists have control over modern weapons of mass destruction and the will to use them to further their belief systems. Monotheists are prone to intolerance, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, brutality, and violence. Barbaric religions are no longer acceptable in a world on the brink of worldwide religious wars.

Yes. I'm always perplexed when people say, "What does it matter what you or I believe?" and your concerns express my response well. Beliefs are not benign. They inform our behavior and opinions on all issues. Thanks for your post.
25-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Spencer. I am a 21 year old atheist living in the great christian state of Oklahoma. I was raised in The Church of Christ which I questioned most of my life. I was the kid in bible class that the teachers hated because I questioned everything. I left the church at the age of 16 and finally stopped believing entirely at the age of 18 thanks to our good friend Carl Sagan. I've not come out in public as an atheist but the inspiring stories in this community are definitely pushing me closer to it.
[+] 1 user Likes EventHorizon's post