Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
25-09-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome, Spencer. As a fellow Oklahoman, I can understand not coming out in public yet.

I'm sure you will love this place. Tons of great people here.

All information in the above post is my own opinion and will not
necessarily be logically sound or conform to reality as we know it.

You have been warned. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi all. I've been truly an atheist for about a year now, but harboured doubts long before that. I'm 25 years old and books and music make me immensely happy.

“You are not controlling the storm, and you are not lost in it. You are the storm.” - Sam Harris
26-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Hey all,

I am a 22 year old University student, going to be graduating Spring or Summer of 2014.
I am for the most part still in the closet about my apostasy and atheism. I was raised in a fundamentalist RCUS church. The reason I am still in the closet is because my father works for the University I attend and is therefore helping me pay for tuition. One of my areas of study is Ethnic Studies, and my father often talks to me about how godless Ethnic Studies is and how great it is that I am studying it from a Christian presuppositionalist standpoint. Suffice to say I'd rather not reap the consequences of him knowing that I don't believe anymore.

My mother does know of my apostasy and likes to remind me that she only sees life value and fulfillment out of being a "Child of god."

I have always had serious issues with the stories and teachings of the canonized Christian Bible and the in-depth study of it is what caused me to open my eyes and see how ridiculous having faith that it is the "ultimate truth" is.
The first doubts I had as a child centered around the idea that for thousands of years anyone who had not yet heard "the word" or was not a Hebrew simply went to hell because they were not "chosen by god." See, part of my mother's family is Ojibway, so that would mean that ALL of my ancestors on that side of the family before about three hundred years ago went to hell simply because the European Christians had yet to bring them the truth.

Growing up I attended a private conservative Christian school (girls could not wear pants until the year I was in the fifth grade). Our section of evolution in Biology class was study how to argue with someone that it is not true. For my geometry final we got extra credit if we could write down the 10 commandments verbatim from the King James translation of the Bible. You know that joke about "people in Catholic schools should write down 'Jesus' for an answer and then listen to the nuns explain how 'Jesus' is not the answer?" Well, if we wrote down "Jesus" for an answer we got half credit.

[/font]My Junior year of high school I took Biblical Hermeneutics. The way that we studied it was essentially just the study of the original meanings of words and why they were translated into the modern translations we have today. I took the tools we were given and went wild. I came to understand that the translations on which many of the teachings of the church were based had been translated with an agenda in mind and therefore contained many inaccuracies. I don't like being lied to, and the first big lie that I discovered was that the word that eventually became "fornication," did not actually mean "sex before marriage." That was probably the first big epiphany that lit a fire under me and finally brought me to the realization that god does not exist.

I finally stopped trying to be a Christian my second year at the University. I have actually started going to church again, because, for financial reasons, I have had to move back in with my parents. It is a requirement for my stay. About a year ago I started looking up videos by Atheists on YouTube and found TTA podcasts a few months ago. Hopefully you guys can keep me sane over the next nine months of living with my fundamentalist parents. Smile

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes DootBug08's post
26-09-2013, 01:01 PM
(26-09-2013 09:50 AM)DootBug08 Wrote:  Hopefully you guys can keep me sane over the next nine months of living with my fundamentalist parents. Smile

You gots the wrong crowd Tongue Welcome anyway Smile We'll keep you only slightly mad...
26-09-2013, 01:29 PM
(26-09-2013 01:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 09:50 AM)DootBug08 Wrote:  Hopefully you guys can keep me sane over the next nine months of living with my fundamentalist parents. Smile

You gots the wrong crowd Tongue Welcome anyway Smile We'll keep you only slightly mad...

Haahaahaaa, well that works. I spose I will never be able to claim sanity. Tongue I still haven't broken the habit of talking to myself (not out loud ... unless I am alone ... yep).

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it" -Neil deGrasse Tyson
27-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi doodeyhead apostates! Welcome to the forum!I like you Dwight ASCII pic, Match! Big Grin

27-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Smile RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi all, Shari here. Over 50, over worked, vegetarian Atheist. Faithful follower of Seth's podcasts since the Reason Rally in DC. Heartbroken about the insanity in Syria and elsewhere caused by brains on religion. I am doing my best to spread reason and conscious living in my little corner of the globe. (and yes I know that the globe hasn't any corners since it's not square) Smile
27-09-2013, 07:10 AM
(27-09-2013 06:05 AM)Shari Wrote:  Hi all, Shari here. Over 50, over worked, vegetarian Atheist. Faithful follower of Seth's podcasts since the Reason Rally in DC. Heartbroken about the insanity in Syria and elsewhere caused by brains on religion. I am doing my best to spread reason and conscious living in my little corner of the globe. (and yes I know that the globe hasn't any corners since it's not square) Smile

Not only that, it isn't even 2-dimensional! Tongue Welcome!

27-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Hey, everybody! Name's César, 37. Been an atheist for about six years already. Writing from Costa Rica.

Cheers!
27-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone!

I am so glad to be part of this community! I am a 56 year old middle class, female Southerner living in the bible belt, and I am an ATHEIST! There, I said it out loud!