Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-10-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(27-10-2013 09:08 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Welcome to all the new members. And how in the hell did someone NOT register "Taco" till now? LOL!

Welcome aboard Smile

Thanks Smile

Haha, yeah I was a bit surprised when I found that it wasn't taken.
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Hi!

I was raised in a Hindu family but by mostly secular parents who didn't really care much for all that nonsense. My extended family did, however, so I got my mild blasts of religion and superstition. Other than that, I was largely religiously ignorant as a child.

Though I am Indian, my family moved to the Middle East when I was four, where I went to school and was physically and mentally bullied for most of my life for being a religious ignoramus (shouldn't be surprising in a fundamentalist country I guess). I was treated as weird and strange and was told on numerous occasions that I would go to hell.

Obviously, when I did find out more about religion, I was hostile to the concept by default. I quickly learned about the books and the texts and the scriptures of all the more popular brands. I read most of the Gita and the Upanishads. I read the Bible and the Quran. And... nope. Nope nope nope nope nope. I never wished ill of anyone who bullied me, that wouldn't be nice, but I certainly think that if religious faith is something that can make someone as innocent as a child wish eternal torture upon someone who doesn't share the faith then it can most certainly not be a good thing.

I love science, and the scientific method. And I love how it lets me guard myself against the charlatans and frauds of the world. Against the astrologers and the godmen and the alien abduction regression therapists of the world.

The only problem that I've ever had is that I've always felt alone. Most people I've known are pretty big on their pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo. Which is cool and all, but I just don't buy it. And so here I am.

I realize this may have been a bit disjointed, but I guess I had to let it out. Long story short, I'm 19, been an atheist and a scientist all my life, only realized it three years ago and only just found this forum. Wanna know more? Say hi!
[+] 3 users Like TheNegativeZone's post
28-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Hello and such.

This is not my first internet hullabaloo, but it is my first time posting on this site (and therefore awaiting approval of said post--oooh the anticipation!).

I am thirtsomethingorother years old, single dad type, and a gamer. Which may or may not be evident by my username (one would hope that it is). I consider myself a skeptic and an atheist BECAUSE I TOTALLY HATE GOD AND AM MAD AT HIM. Wait, that's not right.... Oh, no wait, right, there are lots of reasons. Sorry, don't know what that was all about.

When it comes to the skepticism part of this, I have been a huge fan of Michael Shermer and Joe Nickell since I can remember, Penn & Teller for a while, and sadly, the Amazing Randi only fairly recently.

I was raised going to a Lutheran church every Sunday as a kid, but looking back, I think I always believed in UFO's and Sasquatch more than I ever believed in anything at church--and even that stuff, while still occasionally fun or fascinating, has largely been discarded as any kind of "belief."

On the gamer side--everything. I play pretty much everything except MMO's because I simply do not have the time, what with all the Satan worship and all. I am a co-founder of an indie dev team called From Nothing Game Studios (cheap plug) and we have released a single game on Android devices--and are now working on a Wii U™ game, believe it or not. Our website has not been updated in a while. That's my fault, sorry.

...or Satan's. Pick one.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
[+] 1 user Likes Skeptic Gamer's post
28-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Howdy Ya'll!!!

41 y/o guy from Texas here. Grew up in a Southern Baptist church, but never really fell in line. Married with 2 girls and my wife is a devout Episcopalian. I go with her and our daughters to church from time-to-time, but just keep my mouth shut. I understand some people need religion, that "un-attainable crown" gives them something to strive for. We've talked about my beliefs several times, but I don't think it's registered yet.

Semi-gamer (just the WiiU with my girls), work for a major telecom company (hate it, but it pays very well), been working on learning to play the bass.

Just looking to hang out and get to know some folks with a like mind.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
28-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Greetings.

I found this forum from reading the recent & entertaining dust-ups on the Suscipe Domine forum. I am a former Roman Catholic as of several years ago.

The only thing I'm disappointed in about this site is that your maximum size for avatars is very restricting.
28-10-2013, 06:35 PM
(28-10-2013 06:20 PM)Flavin Wrote:  Greetings.

I found this forum from reading the recent & entertaining dust-ups on the Suscipe Domine forum. I am a former Roman Catholic as of several years ago.

The only thing I'm disappointed in about this site is that your maximum size for avatars is very restricting.

Hey man, the size restrictions only apply if you are using a URL for your avatar (for some reason). If you save the image to your computer and use it that way it will be automatically resized and you don't have to worry about any restrictions.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-10-2013, 07:08 PM
(28-10-2013 06:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Hey man, the size restrictions only apply if you are using a URL for your avatar (for some reason). If you save the image to your computer and use it that way it will be automatically resized and you don't have to worry about any restrictions.

Understood, but the resizing shrinks it down to a fairly compromised visibility. The avatars on Suscipe Domine are of a much nicer size: the photos (or logos, or artwork) don't appear as shrunken or constricted.

A minor issue, nevertheless.
28-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Goodness! Who opened the gate?

Welcome to all of you!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-10-2013, 07:33 AM
(28-10-2013 07:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Goodness! Who opened the gate?

I came in through the window. I smelled the cookies.

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian."
- J. B. S. Haldane on what evidence would be required to falsify evolution
[+] 2 users Like TheNegativeZone's post
29-10-2013, 09:04 AM
(29-10-2013 07:33 AM)TheNegativeZone Wrote:  I came in through the window. I smelled the cookies.

That's how we lure, umm... make people feel welcome. Now, will you be a dear and lend me a hand with cleaning this oven? Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
Thread Closed