Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Looking forward to next week's show on closet-atheists. I am in AA. There are a lot of closet atheists and agnostics in these 12 Step fellowships. The idea in 1939 was that "God of our understanding" would be inclusive. Maybe it was then but it would be an inauthentic term for today's nonbeliever to bandy about.

Alcoholics Anonymous, as well as all the other peer-to-peer substance and process addiction fellowships are ostensibly inclusive of anyone with a desire to stop doing whatever their self-destructive behavior is. In the more liberal groups things are what they seem. However, nonbelievers will face a passive-aggressiveness from stewards the "AA way" that profess that doubt is a temporary state leading to theism or an intellectual holdout that is a barrier from the God-granting gift of sobriety.

Now there are peer-to-peer programs that are 100% secular. But they didn't exist when I was on my last legs. That was the 1970s. Now SOS, LifeRing, SMART-Recovery, etc are legit substitutes but not as plentiful. There is nary a hamlet in all of North America that doesn't have an AA (NA, etc) meeting available. Large cities have hundreds.

For atheists in AA some are out, not so much mocking believers for trading in one dependency for another but candid about the God-business not being for them. Some of them talk atheism in palatable theistic language, "My strength comes from the Group Of Drunks (G.O.D.)" and other polite ways of saying I don't believe you woo-woo but I still stay sober.

Many apostates and atheists keep their trap shut or talk around the higher power issue. It's kind of like being gay in the military in the 1960s, when "don't ask/don't tell" was the order of the day.

Anyway, I'll be listening and I bet a few closet seclar-AAs will be listening, too.

Joe C.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Rebellion Dog's post
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
(08-11-2013 04:25 PM)kortni_thegreat Wrote:  Hi all. I'm 18, and new to atheism. I grew up Baptist, but it wasn't all that strict. I live in a suburb in Ohio that's not very religious, but my family is and I'm not completely "out" with them. I'm just here for intelligent conversation, and maybe some occasional advice.

Welcome Smile Nice to have you here.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey Guys! I'm 18 Living in Catholic dominated Wisconsin, i grew up Catholic and now i am All out Atheist! WOOOO!! Big Grin I am looking for people to talk to who think like i do,contempt,disbelief, and ridicule of religion, and excited to talk about the things that matter science and reason for whom i have no one to talk to. Were i live,my home and my school, i dont have anyone to talk to and it is very frustrating and lonesome, i have few friends in a high school of 1000 students and of them all only 2 are Atheists. I hope to find many new friends here to talk to about the things i wish i could share, Atheism has changed my life even through the loneliness and frustration it brings me so much more peace and understanding in the world. Never have i been more driven and excited about life!
[+] 1 user Likes JewishZombieBass-TurdSon's post
09-11-2013, 06:40 AM
(08-11-2013 05:44 PM)Rebellion Dog Wrote:  Looking forward to next week's show on closet-atheists. I am in AA. There are a lot of closet atheists and agnostics in these 12 Step fellowships. The idea in 1939 was that "God of our understanding" would be inclusive. Maybe it was then but it would be an inauthentic term for today's nonbeliever to bandy about.

Alcoholics Anonymous, as well as all the other peer-to-peer substance and process addiction fellowships are ostensibly inclusive of anyone with a desire to stop doing whatever their self-destructive behavior is. In the more liberal groups things are what they seem. However, nonbelievers will face a passive-aggressiveness from stewards the "AA way" that profess that doubt is a temporary state leading to theism or an intellectual holdout that is a barrier from the God-granting gift of sobriety.

Now there are peer-to-peer programs that are 100% secular. But they didn't exist when I was on my last legs. That was the 1970s. Now SOS, LifeRing, SMART-Recovery, etc are legit substitutes but not as plentiful. There is nary a hamlet in all of North America that doesn't have an AA (NA, etc) meeting available. Large cities have hundreds.

For atheists in AA some are out, not so much mocking believers for trading in one dependency for another but candid about the God-business not being for them. Some of them talk atheism in palatable theistic language, "My strength comes from the Group Of Drunks (G.O.D.)" and other polite ways of saying I don't believe you woo-woo but I still stay sober.

Many apostates and atheists keep their trap shut or talk around the higher power issue. It's kind of like being gay in the military in the 1960s, when "don't ask/don't tell" was the order of the day.

Anyway, I'll be listening and I bet a few closet seclar-AAs will be listening, too.

Joe C.

Hi, Joe, and welcome.

I got sober in AA many years ago. Went in an atheist, still an atheist.
And I say so in meetings to give hope to other atheists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Hello everybody
Hey, I'm new to the site but not new to atheism. I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have engaging discussions on here.

Thank you to my friend Free for showing me this site. I'm sure some of you know of him.
09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
(09-11-2013 02:10 PM)Unfaithful Wrote:  Hey, I'm new to the site but not new to atheism. I'm glad to have found this site and hope to have engaging discussions on here.

Thank you to my friend Free for showing me this site. I'm sure some of you know of him.

Welcome. Ya, I like Free.

10-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Hello! My name is Faith (no, seriously). I live in the Bible Bel t(southeastern NC). I grew up just outside of Savannah, GA. If there is any doubt remaining, yes, I was thoroughly indoctrinated before I could wipe my own hiney (sorry, I'm battling the in-laws for the intellectual property rights of my toddler). If all of that isn't ridiculous enough, my last name used to be Nicodemus. Yeah, laugh it up. I do.

I recently read Deconverted and decided to check out this site. I browsed a bit and decided that I'd love to talk about reality, rather than face-palm in disgust at the constant parade of fantasy-loving puppets in my world, occasionally. Don't get me wrong, I love science fiction, but I enjoy the science part more... And I really wish I could flip a switch and get these people to acknowledge the fiction of religion. If only it were that easy.

Anyway, I'm new here. I'm 32 and I would guess that I've been an atheist since the age of 18, though my indoctrination started to unravel when I was 16. I still remember the moment. All it took was one word. I was asked my high school boyfriend if I believed in god. When I said, "Yes," he asked, "Why?" That's all it took. The skeptic in me started clawing out and eventually won the battle over the fear instilled in me by everyone i had ever known. I don't know where that old boyfriend ended up, nor what his beliefs are (or were at that time), but I'll be forever grateful that he asked me, Why?"
[+] 4 users Like IronicFaith's post
10-11-2013, 01:54 PM
(10-11-2013 01:39 PM)IronicFaith Wrote:  Hello! My name is Faith (no, seriously). I live in the Bible Bel t(southeastern NC). I grew up just outside of Savannah, GA. If there is any doubt remaining, yes, I was thoroughly indoctrinated before I could wipe my own hiney (sorry, I'm battling the in-laws for the intellectual property rights of my toddler). If all of that isn't ridiculous enough, my last name used to be Nicodemus. Yeah, laugh it up. I do.

I recently read Deconverted and decided to check out this site. I browsed a bit and decided that I'd love to talk about reality, rather than face-palm in disgust at the constant parade of fantasy-loving puppets in my world, occasionally. Don't get me wrong, I love science fiction, but I enjoy the science part more... And I really wish I could flip a switch and get these people to acknowledge the fiction of religion. If only it were that easy.

Anyway, I'm new here. I'm 32 and I would guess that I've been an atheist since the age of 18, though my indoctrination started to unravel when I was 16. I still remember the moment. All it took was one word. I was asked my high school boyfriend if I believed in god. When I said, "Yes," he asked, "Why?" That's all it took. The skeptic in me started clawing out and eventually won the battle over the fear instilled in me by everyone i had ever known. I don't know where that old boyfriend ended up, nor what his beliefs are (or were at that time), but I'll be forever grateful that he asked me, Why?"

Welcome. I think we're ready for Faith. Big Grin

10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Hello, everyone! Smile
12-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Hello, obviously I am new here, been an atheist all my life, thankfully I had parents who were free thinking so never suffered brainwashing as a child. This forum looks very interesting and I hope to participate as much as possible.
Big GrinBig Grin
Thread Closed