Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
15-11-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello!

I'm a female college student from Southwest Missouri, USA. My friend Amy links this site a lot and I finally decided to join. She might notice my username....I use it quite often. ^_^

I don't have a very interesting story, tbh. I am a biology/chemistry nerd who loves plants and doesn't believe in god. (Simple, right?) My mother is still very religious. My father is a pastor and refuses to speak to me. He didn't raise me so I suppose that's his loss. My sister is also very religious and doesn't speak to me, but that's another can of worms. I have gone through a plethora of religions since I was a child including Christianity and Paganism. Being in love with religion and spirituality was a very defining and all-encompassing personality trait of mine, and many of my friends are now surprised that I've done a 180. My love of science and hatred for bigotry snowballed, rolled down a hill of facts, and finally slammed into the side of a realization mountain. It got to the point where I couldn't lie to myself about the universe (and how it probably came into being) anymore. I'm sure a lot of people here went through something similar.

My ex boyfriend seems to be the only person who is happy for me. Perhaps in part because he introduced me to the fact that Gods and magic might be fake. He always felt as though I was "wasting my potential" studying dead deities, and I finally see what he meant and thank him every chance I get. I am basically just angry at the things religious zealots do to other human beings in the name of their God. I don't think humanity can move forward in any significant way unless we learn to live without these superstitions.

I should stop before I start rambling. Thank you for reading! I hope to make some e-friends here and engage in some healthy debate and discussion with you all.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Cephalotus's post
15-11-2013, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 10:26 PM by morondog.)
(15-11-2013 08:07 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I don't have a very interesting story, tbh. I am a biology/chemistry nerd who loves plants and doesn't believe in god. (Simple, right?)
Hate to contradict, but that is of interest around here Wink 'Specially the bio part Smile Yay for 'nother scientist (I'm not, but we have a few whom we keep locked in cages for... I probably shouldn't have said that Unsure ).

Quote:My mother is still very religious. My father is a pastor and refuses to speak to me. He didn't raise me so I suppose that's his loss. My sister is also very religious and doesn't speak to me, but that's another can of worms.
This bit sucks Sad Others here have had similar experiences.

Quote:I don't think humanity can move forward in any significant way unless we learn to live without these superstitions.
Ditto.

Quote:I hope to make some e-friends here and engage in some healthy debate and discussion with you all.
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-11-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm a latecomer on this thread BUT...

I am KillKillKilltoTheThird, and that is me.

I come here to type debate and philosophy about how philosophy is bad.

Hope to see everyone around.
16-11-2013, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2013 04:48 AM by DLJ.)
(16-11-2013 07:56 AM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  I'm a latecomer on this thread BUT...

Nice to see that you've already been making friends.

Getting to -5 rep before you've written your intro must be some kinda record.

Anyway, if you learn how to use the sarcasm font correctly, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Welcome aboard.

16-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone. The name I am going to go by is Caben (kay-ben). I am, like many others, a closet atheist, which I hope, someday, will change. I am a male who is soon to be 27 years old. I live in bible belt area(though that seems rather large). My profession is welder and machinists' apprentice with hopes of becoming a mechanical engineer. I am not a heavy or even moderate forum goer, so responses from me will be rare, though pm-ing I can do.
[+] 1 user Likes Caben Heathen's post
16-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Hello all,

My name is Eric, I use the screen name goodwithoutgod for all of my discussions within any religious forum. I debate daily online with three different sites and offline daily. Well debate sounds so harsh, how about...dis-indoctrinate? I am a military officer, grew up southern baptist, my mother is now a pentecostal preacher and my father a mormon priest (they divorced and remarried years ago). I grew up wanting to believe, but always had questions and doubt, later became agnostic as an adult, then after my wife and kids died I went on a search for knowledge...the more I learned, the less I believed and the more confident I became in my path to atheism. Now I am full on Atheist. I have remarried, and have 4 kids and live a wonderful life....I enjoy these discussions, and as an educated intelligent human being I feel it is my moral responsibility to fight the corrosive creep of religion where ever I find it.... To look the other way is to imply by inaction that it is ok, and religion is anything but ok. I do not think that faith is a reliable path to the truth. I think it is our social responsibility to help liberate those that are subjugated by a delusion, so they may also enter a life based on reason. That is me in a nutshell. Smile

Happy to be here.
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-11-2013, 06:09 PM
(16-11-2013 07:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 07:56 AM)KillKillKilltoTheThird Wrote:  I'm a latecomer on this thread BUT...

Nice to see that you've already been making friends.

Getting to -5 rep before you've written your into must be some kinda record.

Anyway, if you learn how to use the sarcasm font correctly, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Welcome aboard.

Ha. Under the circumstances I've been shockingly nice, in my opinion.

Good to see someone out there doesn't make assumptions.
[+] 1 user Likes KillKillKilltoTheThird's post
17-11-2013, 06:26 PM
(15-11-2013 08:07 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Hello!

I'm a female college student from Southwest Missouri, USA. My friend Amy links this site a lot and I finally decided to join. She might notice my username....I use it quite often. ^_^

It is good to see you here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
17-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi all! So happy to be a part of this community!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm 35 years old, married with a nine year old son, and I'm in the Navy. I like soccer and I love learning.

I was raised as a Catholic, was an alter boy and all that, then stopped going in high school and didn't get confirmed. I came back to the church because I was trying to recover from alcoholism using the Twelve Steps of AA. Also, my son was getting to grow up and develop a personality, so I wanted him to have a moral upbringing, so together we started going to mass. I quit drinking for good, I figure I grew out of it, so I stopped doing AA, kept going to church. Got my son baptized, got him to his first communion.

Since I was a teenager, I sort of vaguely knew that I didn't believe in a creator. This year, after attending some college classes on education and learning about critical thinking, I watched a YouTube vid of a debate between Christopher Hitchens and I think Frank Turek. Man, that was it. That was the beginning of the journey that I'm now on. A journey that has led me to study the Bible and Bible history more closely than I ever did as a church member. I've read Hitchens, Hawking, Dawkins, deGrasse Tyson and I plan to read more. I listened to the Great Courses lecture series on The New Testament with Bart Ehrman, probably my most eye opening, rage inducing, yet utterly fascinating experience yet. Best of all, my young son is learning the value of learning and critical thinking and will have a chance to develop intellectually honest thought habits and morals for morals' sake.

I'm not out yet, but I'm close. My occasional YT subscriptions, my Goodreads to-read list and my Twitter follows are clear evidence to anyone paying attention, but I mostly keep a low profile on FB. I have some FB friends who are prolific posters of faith based content that I have to bite my tongue sometimes, but lately I can't resist the urge.

The other day my friend posted the Noah trailer, and I couldn't help myself, I said, "John Nash's schizophrenia is back with a vengeance." How did she respond? Silence. This girl posts updates several times a day, there is no way she missed my comment.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been wanting to put this down somehow for some time. Thanks.
[+] 2 users Like nextabe's post
Thread Closed