Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
18-11-2013, 01:51 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm Abe. I'm 35 years old, married, I have a nine year old son, and I'm in the Navy, stationed in Groton, CT. I love soccer and learning.

I was raised Catholic, was an alter boy, then in high school I stopped going. I had irreverent friends that made sacrilegious jokes. I kind of vaguely knew that I didn't really believe in a god. For a while I claimed to be spiritual, not religious, and believed in various forms of woo along the way.

I came back to church in 2011 because I was in AA and I needed a higher power. Also, my very Catholic mom would like me to have my son do the sacraments and be a good Catholic boy. After a few months, I decided that I was done with alcohol in my life and stopped going to AA meetings. We kept going to church, baptism, first communion, coffee donuts and fellowship, we had some times.

One night, after learning about critical thinking in a college class, I watched a debate with Christopher Hitchens and Frank Turek I think. That was the beginning of the journey of discovery that I'm still on. I never looked at the Bible or cared about how it came to be what it is today before. I watched tons of debate vids, Dawkins' specials, read and listened to his and Hitchens' books, and I've got so much more to learn. I listened to the Great Courses lecture series on the New Testament with Bart Ehrman, the most eye opening, rage inducing, yet utterly fascinating learning experience so far.

I love the content on the YT channel and I look forward to meeting some friends here.
Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Hello, nextabe. Glad to have you on the forum. Fellow sailor here, though I'm just a lazy reservist these days. Hope you enjoy the place.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
18-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi! I just joined and figure it's good form to introduce myself some Smile I've been a nonbeliever for a few years now, and it still feels weird to think of myself as an atheist but I am one. I guess I prefer "humanist" because it's more positive, atheism being pretty much just a lack of belief, but anyway. Semantics. I grew up very ensconced in the fundamentalist/evangelical world, and my parents sent me to a Christian school for pre-k through 12th grade, and along the way I learned some gems like "the pre-flood world had a canopy of water over it that kept the world at 70 degrees and let the dinosaurs live with people" and that "asking about how a good god can allow evil is a false problem because god doesn't cause evil, we brought it about, and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise." This last one in particular helped keep me stuck in my ways, despite periodic nagging doubts, and it wasn't till I was asked to confront this problem on a religion forum by a nonbeliever that I actually gave it thought, and it helped prompt a whole slew of doubts. Lots of little things like that built on each other over a couple years, and the moment I admitted to myself that "I don't believe this bullshit" and thought of myself as agnostic (soon to be atheist) was in the church I grew up in, in response to my pastor, who is always looked up to as an intellectual leader, dismissed the "naturalistic worldview" with a snide comment. Well, I'd always struggled against naturalism, and I decided that if that was the best Christianity could come up with (and in 22 years in the church, I hadn't heard anything better), I was done with it. It didn't have answers.

So anyway, here I am. A bit more about me, if anyone cares - I live in DC and do operations for a retail branch of a huge corporation and can't wait to find something else to do. I live with a couple of roommates, love dogs but have never owned one, watch a lot of British television, and am addicted to cheese. So yeah, that's me. I'm so glad to have places like this to come and get relief from the crazy religious world Smile

(Also I typed this on a phone, so please forgive any weird autocorrects or anything... :-P )
[+] 2 users Like Shades of Grey's post
18-11-2013, 09:21 PM
(18-11-2013 07:25 PM)Shades of Grey Wrote:  Hi! I just joined and figure it's good form to introduce myself some Smile I've been a nonbeliever for a few years now, and it still feels weird to think of myself as an atheist but I am one. I guess I prefer "humanist" because it's more positive, atheism being pretty much just a lack of belief, but anyway. Semantics. I grew up very ensconced in the fundamentalist/evangelical world, and my parents sent me to a Christian school for pre-k through 12th grade, and along the way I learned some gems like "the pre-flood world had a canopy of water over it that kept the world at 70 degrees and let the dinosaurs live with people" and that "asking about how a good god can allow evil is a false problem because god doesn't cause evil, we brought it about, and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise." This last one in particular helped keep me stuck in my ways, despite periodic nagging doubts, and it wasn't till I was asked to confront this problem on a religion forum by a nonbeliever that I actually gave it thought, and it helped prompt a whole slew of doubts. Lots of little things like that built on each other over a couple years, and the moment I admitted to myself that "I don't believe this bullshit" and thought of myself as agnostic (soon to be atheist) was in the church I grew up in, in response to my pastor, who is always looked up to as an intellectual leader, dismissed the "naturalistic worldview" with a snide comment. Well, I'd always struggled against naturalism, and I decided that if that was the best Christianity could come up with (and in 22 years in the church, I hadn't heard anything better), I was done with it. It didn't have answers.

So anyway, here I am. A bit more about me, if anyone cares - I live in DC and do operations for a retail branch of a huge corporation and can't wait to find something else to do. I live with a couple of roommates, love dogs but have never owned one, watch a lot of British television, and am addicted to cheese. So yeah, that's me. I'm so glad to have places like this to come and get relief from the crazy religious world Smile

(Also I typed this on a phone, so please forgive any weird autocorrects or anything... :-P )

Welcome, if you like cheese, you'll probably fit in just fine.
Cheesy group here Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-11-2013, 03:16 AM
(18-11-2013 07:25 PM)Shades of Grey Wrote:  Hi! I just joined and figure it's good form to introduce myself some Smile I've been a nonbeliever for a few years now, and it still feels weird to think of myself as an atheist but I am one. I guess I prefer "humanist" because it's more positive, atheism being pretty much just a lack of belief, but anyway. Semantics. I grew up very ensconced in the fundamentalist/evangelical world, and my parents sent me to a Christian school for pre-k through 12th grade, and along the way I learned some gems like "the pre-flood world had a canopy of water over it that kept the world at 70 degrees and let the dinosaurs live with people" and that "asking about how a good god can allow evil is a false problem because god doesn't cause evil, we brought it about, and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise." This last one in particular helped keep me stuck in my ways, despite periodic nagging doubts, and it wasn't till I was asked to confront this problem on a religion forum by a nonbeliever that I actually gave it thought, and it helped prompt a whole slew of doubts. Lots of little things like that built on each other over a couple years, and the moment I admitted to myself that "I don't believe this bullshit" and thought of myself as agnostic (soon to be atheist) was in the church I grew up in, in response to my pastor, who is always looked up to as an intellectual leader, dismissed the "naturalistic worldview" with a snide comment. Well, I'd always struggled against naturalism, and I decided that if that was the best Christianity could come up with (and in 22 years in the church, I hadn't heard anything better), I was done with it. It didn't have answers.

You can be an atheist and a humanist, you can be a humanist without being an atheist. The two terms aren't really related. Atheism is neither positive, nor negative. Humanism is generally viewed as positive, but there are religious folk that think humanism is negative, and there are atheists that think it is negative. It just is. Anyhow, welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

19-11-2013, 04:31 PM
what up all? i just logged in the forums for the first time figured i should say hi. I live in the deep south of the USA. i dont want a log post so if you want more info bout myself just check out my bio.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi! I'm Kayla. I'm 25 and probably more excited than I should be about discovering this forum. I've really been searching for a community of like-minded people ever since I left the Christian church four years ago.
I live in British Columbia, Canada; am finishing up my psych degree; am shacking up with my ex-Mormon boyfriend; love South Park; am obsessed with my dog; and have a shit ton of Christian tattoos that I'm slowly working on covering up.
Have a sort of long back story but to make it short: I was an extremely dedicated and devout Christian for 8 years (went to a Christian university, led young adults and youth groups at my church, went on a 6 month mission, worked for a non-profit Christian organization) and the catalyst to my deconversion was finding myself in an intensely lonely, sexless marriage at the age of 21. That situation wasn’t the reason for my deconversion, but, looking back now, it was what prompted me to start looking deeper, to begin asking some questions that (if I was honest with myself) I had never wanted the answers to.
I've made a few posts so far in the Personal Issues and Support & the Health and Psychology forums and I'm really looking forward to interacting with you all more!
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
19-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the forums Suny and Kayla! Hope you enjoy the place!

19-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello, my name is Nathan. I am 44 years old and currently live in a tiny town in south Texas. I have recently discovered The Thinking Atheist podcast and website, and love it. I am a crusty old gamer from way back, and I have a deep fascination for Astronomy & Physics. I look forward to reading the posts here, and perhaps leaving a few myself from time to time.
[+] 2 users Like Pennroth's post
20-11-2013, 10:27 AM
HELLO! My name is Rafael and finally managed to get on the forums!
[+] 2 users Like SparkByTouch's post
Thread Closed