Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-11-2013, 11:51 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(20-11-2013 10:27 AM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  HELLO! My name is Rafael and finally managed to get on the forums!

Welcome to the forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
20-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Agnostic vs atheist
I'm 70 years old, lost my husband of 52 years, 6 months ago. I've really been trying to make since of my beliefs especially since my husband's death.
I consider myself an agnostic, I don't believe in the Christian God, bible or organized cults. I've felt this way for years, feeling like a hypocrite anytime I attended a religious service for the past 20 years. I can't bring myself to accept that there isn't a force that started the human experience, I still want to believe in an afterlife, I've been really confused about this belief I'm desperately trying to hold on to. I was raised in the church, as an adult I decided the bible was false, I don't believe in heaven or hell, I feel I'm part of the force which is in everything in the universe. That when someone dies they simply return to the molecules in the universe to be used in something else in the universe. It makes more since to me than the old man in the sky. I do believe in evolution and the world is billions of years old. What I'm confused about is why are we the only species on earth that know we are going to die? Where did the instincts all species share come from? This is why I can't say I'm an atheist, is it just wishful thinking or fear of the unknown? Scientist can't disprove there is no afterlife can they?
20-11-2013, 03:59 PM
(20-11-2013 12:43 PM)Dnartist Wrote:  I'm 70 years old, lost my husband of 52 years, 6 months ago. I've really been trying to make since of my beliefs especially since my husband's death.
I consider myself an agnostic, I don't believe in the Christian God, bible or organized cults. I've felt this way for years, feeling like a hypocrite anytime I attended a religious service for the past 20 years. I can't bring myself to accept that there isn't a force that started the human experience, I still want to believe in an afterlife, I've been really confused about this belief I'm desperately trying to hold on to. I was raised in the church, as an adult I decided the bible was false, I don't believe in heaven or hell, I feel I'm part of the force which is in everything in the universe. That when someone dies they simply return to the molecules in the universe to be used in something else in the universe. It makes more since to me than the old man in the sky. I do believe in evolution and the world is billions of years old. What I'm confused about is why are we the only species on earth that know we are going to die? Where did the instincts all species share come from? This is why I can't say I'm an atheist, is it just wishful thinking or fear of the unknown? Scientist can't disprove there is no afterlife can they?

Welcome.
Your feelings are shared by many people, and I must say your thoughts are remarkably clear considering your recent loss.

Our human experience is amazing and that certainly leads to the feeling and thought that there is something behind it, some purpose or reason.
I believe we make our own purposes and reasons. Please hang around and take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-11-2013, 04:28 PM
(20-11-2013 10:27 AM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  HELLO! My name is Rafael and finally managed to get on the forums!

Welcome! Sorry that took so long. Those frisking searching can be a real pain!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
20-11-2013, 04:36 PM
(20-11-2013 03:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 12:43 PM)Dnartist Wrote:  I'm 70 years old, lost my husband of 52 years, 6 months ago. I've really been trying to make since of my beliefs especially since my husband's death.

Welcome.
Your feelings are shared by many people, and I must say your thoughts are remarkably clear considering your recent loss.

Our human experience is amazing and that certainly leads to the feeling and thought that there is something behind it, some purpose or reason.
I believe we make our own purposes and reasons. Please hang around and take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Welcome to the forum. I completely agree with everything Chas has already stated. For an in depth conversation I'd suggest starting a thread on the Personal Issues and Support section, or the Atheism and Theism section, whichever you feel is most applicable. Hell, nothing to stop you from creating threads in each section. Hope you enjoy the place, and maybe even get some desired insight.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Howdy Folks,

I am a 33 yr Unemployed Graphic Designer, scholar and philosopher. I live in very conservative upstate NY, I've been a non-believer for most of my life. I was baptized a Methodist, I've spent years going to day camp at an evangelical church. I was a Wiccan for a brief period and now I consider myself a Humanist and secular Buddhist. I spent the years of middle school, high school and college in an existential crisis. I've always had an issue with metaphysics and I'm a born skeptic. I am deeply spiritual witch I express as a connection to the Universe and physical world. It was hard to reconcile my skepticism and logic with my emotions and spirituality. I've had no one to talk too about this, my wife is agnostic out of circumstance more than belief.

I'm hoping I find a place here, and a community to better understand what it means to me to be an Atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Sublime Filth's post
20-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Hello! I'm a 47-year-old employed single mom and partially "out" atheist. I grew up in the Catholic church, but luckily, I was not forced to go to Catholic school like some of my older siblings. From a very early age, I just remember thinking that it all (meaning all religion) seemed a bit silly, but I went through all the motions until I was 18 and my parents let me bow out of the church gracefully. Not saying they were happy about it, but they didn't give me much grief, anyway.

I had felt for years that I was an atheist, but never really "came out" as an atheist to my family until recently. Though, in all honesty, I still haven't had any "serious" discussions about it with some of my siblings. (especially the ones who are very religious). I also haven't come out completely at work, since there are many people there who are very devout Christians, and I don't want to create any animosity between myself and them.

Hopefully, though, that will change slowly, and as time goes on, I will feel more comfortable to talk about my atheist views more openly with friends and family.

Anyway...I recently found the Thinking Atheist podcasts and am enjoying them so much, I thought I might join all of you here on the forum.

I can't promise to be very vocal here, but am looking forward to being a member!

AJ
[+] 1 user Likes AJRyan6of7's post
20-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Hello all,

I am a 26 yr old machine operator in victor, ny. Just accepted the fact I am atheist after a messy journey from christianity to deism to pantheism to agnosticism. But I've come to terms with the title atheist. I'm looking for a community of people with the same ideas because I've done a pretty good job up until recently surrounding myself with devout christians who I now think are nut-jobs. I've been insulted at work by fundamental christians after defending my ideals in debates I don't initiate. I'm scientifically literate, philosophically minded, and a secular humanist. Thank you all for reading and I hope I can learn and contribute.

It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes justanatheist's post
21-11-2013, 04:09 AM
(20-11-2013 09:54 PM)justanatheist Wrote:  Hello all,

I am a 26 yr old machine operator in victor, ny. Just accepted the fact I am atheist after a messy journey from christianity to deism to pantheism to agnosticism. But I've come to terms with the title atheist. I'm looking for a community of people with the same ideas because I've done a pretty good job up until recently surrounding myself with devout christians who I now think are nut-jobs. I've been insulted at work by fundamental christians after defending my ideals in debates I don't initiate. I'm scientifically literate, philosophically minded, and a secular humanist. Thank you all for reading and I hope I can learn and contribute.

[Image: seagate-church-sign.jpg]

EVIL HUMANIST!

You'll have to forgive me if I mildly giggled at the amount of labels you've adopted on your journey. I may or may not be, but definitely am a little drunk. Welcome to the forum Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
21-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Hello! I just registered for this site. I'm looking forward to putting my opinion out there regarding people's crazy religious beliefs. I've read the Sam Harris's, the Richard Dawkins, and the Michael Shermers, so I feel like I am somewhat well-versed on this subject. I love debating believers, but rarely get the chance to do so. I'm from Philadelphia and a while back, the Philadelphia Inquirer ran a series called Planet of the Apes that covered the conflict between science and religion. Some of the articles generated huge numbers of comments on both sides of the issue and I had fun participating in those.
[+] 1 user Likes davidh's post
Thread Closed