Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
21-11-2013, 02:32 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey there folks! Brand new here. I've known about the site for some time now but didn't break my laziness slump to sign up until today :-P I've been through the forums a few times and enjoy reading about the topics and discussions that you guys have going on there and I'm looking forward to contributing.

A lil' about me:
28 yrs old and soon to be 29, grew up with a mom who's native american who was adopted into a jewish family (which made for some interesting discussions), a dad who's Irish Catholic and the massive and devout family that comes with it, I'm a U.S. Army veteran- a literal atheist in a foxhole, and I've been solid atheist now since 2006. Before then I kinda swerved in and out of atheism, battling my own intelligence against whether catholicism or judaism was right for me... Only to dismiss them both after CONSIDERABLE research, independent studying, logic processes, and common sense trials. Didn't really come out of the "atheist closet" as my family likes to say until late 2006, shortly after I met my ex-wife, and shortly before I enlisted into the Army. Since about 2010 I've been heavily researching atheism/secularism and all things such.. Been to debates, participated in a few, I'm in the middle of reading some of the more popular atheist books, I also write pretty frequently about it too... and quite frankly the more I think about it, the more I realize how much acknowledging and embracing my atheism has changed my life for the better. I hope that my experiences and my work can in some way help to do the same for someone else.. Its an incredible feeling.

Censored
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like irpglick's post
21-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Hello my larry as produced in the title above and I am an ex-catholic now atheist by my discovery of logic instead of magic bull poop, my age is 19 and im ready to span through this site as civil as possible( hopefully) (P.S not a lumberjack if your wondering)
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

My name is Jeremy, I use the handle SevenPatch in a lot of places, youtube, video game websites and such.

I'm 31 and recently figured out I am an atheist although I probably have known that for a long time. Lately I've been reading a lot of RationalWiki stuff (which ironically I found by visiting conservapedia, which ironically I found because I was just interested in hearing conservative viewpoints related to politics). I don't want to discuss politics here, and I want to make clear that I don't have anything against conservative views. Also I'd like to note that conservapedia aparently has little if anything to do with politics so I failed in my effort that day but was never the less inspired to debunk that website.

I came across this website while looking for debates between atheists and religious type persons, just out of curiousity.
23-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome 7P!

23-11-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi! I'm Kerri, and I've been perusing the forum for a few weeks, and joined a few days ago.

My birthday was today, and it's a little funny to be thinking of life in terms of how recently I deconverted from Christianity. Like so many in the faith, most of my journey towards leaving the faith occurred inside the faith: raising questions about the inerrancy (well, lack thereof) of the Bible, raising questions of the morality of some of God's more ruthless killing sprees, etc. Having grown up in a very religious home (my Dad's a pastor), I grew up very sheltered. I'm still astonished that at one time, I really believed Ken Ham's words. I really believed in a literal Adam and Eve and Noah and Abraham. I really believed you couldn't possibly believe in Evolution and be a Christian. My experience in college fractured that sheltered life, and from then it's never not been part of the journey to raise the hard questions, even if there was no great answer -- and always attempting to avoid the answer staring me in the face: that it was bunk. A few weeks ago, whatever grasp I had left on my belief vanished, and suddenly, I didn't believe anymore.

Due to various situations, I currently live with my parents. Which is... interesting. My mom knows -- all our conversations had been leading to the final one just yesterday where I indicated I didn't believe. She's the questioning sort herself, but has somehow equated belief in God with the ability to believe in anything (so by not believing in God, I believe in nothing. Which couldn't be further from the truth, but oh well.) She's still accepting, and for that I'm grateful, because I was dreading that conversation. Not because of her, or anything she might say, but because I didn't want to hurt her. My Dad, on the other hand, either doesn't know or hasn't indicated that he does. We'll see what happens when/if that hammer falls.

So I guess you could say I'm recovering from Christianity. I don't expect it to be a quick journey -- it's taken me nearly 35 years to get this far. When I came across this community, I decided to join in, both to obtain support (knowing I'm not alone, and not crazy, is terribly important), and in offering support where and when I can.

See y'all around on the forum!
Cheers!

~ Kerri

Recovering from Christianity, slowly, but surely.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ih8mondays's post
23-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the forum Kerri, and happy birthday!

I hope you find this forum to be the community that you seek, but if you've been lurking a for a while, you know what you're getting into.

23-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi, everyone.

My name is Karson. I'm a broke college student that really needs a life. I'm married to the man that helped me transition from being a devout Christian to an atheist. I went to a talk last night by Dr. Coyne (an avid atheist and author) that I found really interesting and just wanted to see what like-minded folks talk about on a forum devoted to atheism. Community? Will I find it? That may be a valid question. Regardless, hello. And thanks for having me on the show.

Drinking Beverage
23-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi,
New to forums, but not new to TTA. Been following for about a year now... I'm a gov't contractor working out of the USA. Never was much of a believer I guess? I was forced to go to Sunday school when I was a little kid, but my Dad liked to play golf on Sunday mornings, so that ended up a good thing! Lol... Didn't have to go anymore....
23-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi there! I just discovered the podcast that is the namesake of these forums the other day, and when I realized there were forums I couldn't resist at least giving them a shot.

My name is (somewhat ironically) Christian, but sadly there's no inspiring deconversion story here. Whilst my family was nominally religious while I was growing up, it was more out of a vague "there must be something 'more'" than any specific doctrinal convictions. And by the time I had gotten old enough to care, it seemed pretty clear to me that this whole religion thing was a waste of time (I was way more intrigued by learning about animal life, particularly marine life), and growing up in a suburb of NYC I felt I got a lot more of value out of my regular visits to the Museum of Natural History than from Sunday School and mass. I did pay close attention in the course of my religious education, but only out of a generalized and involuntary curiosity about everything.

These days I study philosophy, and while in an ideal world I'd home to end up in academia, the philosophy job market is horrendous right now, so I might just get the PhD and go straight to the private sector rather than put myself through the wringer. My interests here overlap nicely with some of the concerns of the broader "skeptic" and atheist communities, as my focus is mainly on the philosophy of science, epistemology, and metaphilosophy (questions about the nature, scope, and aims of philosophy), with a side interest in Nietzsche. Within philosophy of science, I'm mostly interested in "core" philosophy of science rather than domain-specific philosophy of science, so I work on things like the nature of scientific explanation, the structure of scientific theories, the issue of realism and anti-realism, the social nature of science, and concepts like reduction and representation. This is as opposed to philosophy of a particular science, like philosophy of biology or physics, which I want to eventually be able to contribute to, but you need to know a heck of a lot of that science as well as philosophy, so it's quite a learning curve! And in both epistemology and metaphilosophy, I mostly focus on the notion of "naturalism." In epistemology I'm particularly interested in defending a strong form of "naturalized" epistemology, which repudiates "first philosophy" and thinks the project of normative epistemology which stands outside of science confused, as well as the issue of disagreement (what do we do when an intellectual equal disagrees with us?) And in metaphilosophy, I am interested in understanding the different sorts of naturalism, as well as defending a relatively austere form which some might call "scientistic" (there are no distinctly philosophical questions, and no proprietary "philosophical" methods), as well as criticizing the role of intuition in much philosophy. Lastly, a warning; I have a very low opinion of most of the work done under the name "philosophy of religion," whether by theists or atheists. Almost all of what little good work there is in the field is published by people who are not primarily philosophers of religion, and are good philosophers in other subjects.

Besides my academic life, I really like computers, and make money on the side by doing various development and consulting projects. I also have loves for cars and cooking, the latter to the extent that I've contemplated going to culinary school and becoming a chef if I end up in the private sector rather than academia, and somewhat embarrassing WoW and Pokemon addictions. Finally, I'm queer, and am both really interested to the thought and activism surrounding sexuality and gender and in exploring different sexual subcultures.

Sorry for the length, good to be here!
[+] 1 user Likes Philo's post
23-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi,

As my name says I'm never sure. I know it seems self- contradicting but it remains accurate. I question everything. I am a contrarian so expect to see it and please don't assume me arguing for a side means I hold that sides position. I have autism I'm not sure if it will have any negative impact with respect to how I'm perceived.