Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
23-11-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(23-11-2013 09:32 AM)kcrass3 Wrote:  Hi, everyone.

My name is Karson. I'm a broke college student that really needs a life. I'm married to the man that helped me transition from being a devout Christian to an atheist. I went to a talk last night by Dr. Coyne (an avid atheist and author) that I found really interesting and just wanted to see what like-minded folks talk about on a forum devoted to atheism. Community? Will I find it? That may be a valid question. Regardless, hello. And thanks for having me on the show.

I'm not atheist, but welcome!
Find all posts by this user
23-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm a 66 year old atheist and have been since I was 12 and left the Methodist church. My wife and three sons are atheists and lest anyone think I brainwashed them I actually let them come to their own conclusions without influence by me except answering questions they had. My wife was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and hated every minute of it. Nuns, according to her, were (are) sadistic to children.

My coming to terms with Christianity were simple. I did not believe any of it, ever. I read the Bible cover to cover and thought it was Science Fiction. Bad Science Fiction. It was apparent that mankind had created God as he created all of the other thousand of Gods in history. I am a firm advocate of science, rational/critical thinking and am skeptic to any claims that cannot support evidence or proof. I do not have faith in anything. Faith is belief without evidence. Not for me. I live for the truth no matter where it takes me. If I do not know something I can live with it.

I have listened to several of the Thinking Atheist podcasts and applaud how well they are done (Seth has the perfect "radio voice") and the quality of the topics and guests. I live in Texas and we have The Atheist Experience from out of Austin which is a good weekly show but can get silly sometimes with some of the idiot callers.

As a rule I do not confront theists or religious people except when they get in my face or come knocking on my door which happens here in Texas from time to time. For the most part being an atheist has never been a problem for me and I have no qualms about telling people if they ask. I am old enough to remember Madelyn Murray O'Hare and thought she was a hoot back in the day. I do worry about the religious influence in this country as it is indicative of a sheepish mentality that is prone to all manner of manipulation and abuses. I am reminded of the saying, "the wise think religion foolish, by the common people as true and the politicians as useful."

I just wanted to pop around and say hello and wish you all well and applaud efforts like these to keep the truth alive for those who truly seek it.
24-11-2013, 03:00 AM
I am from Maryland, USA. I met a Spanish woman, married her and moved to Barcelona, Spain. I have only just recently come to terms with the idea that I am actually an Atheist.
Thank you guys for this community.

My music and mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/dru-denizen
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm 18 and I just finished sixth form in the UK. I'm currently taking a gap year before studying Creative Music Technologies in university.
As from the course I'm planning to study, it's clear that I love music, and I have aspirations to become a electronic music producer and composer for video games.
Other than that, my other greatest passion is science, and even though I am young I know quite a lot about the main sciences and I absolutely love discussing anything to do with it, and from that came my interest in religion too. I've always been an atheist (always avoided labeling myself that though, I'm quite free spirited and would prefer not to label myself in categories), there was no time, even in my childhood where I believed in the existence of a God, so it really intrigues me how religion can be so important to others (I personally think it's rather pointless and the whole ideals of most religions are extremely unrealistic).
My other interests include digital artwork, video gaming, reading, watching movies, and comics/manga.
Signed up here, as I thought this would be a good place to meet some new people and possibly have interesting conversations!

[Image: Untitled-2_zps53e7324f.png]
24-11-2013, 06:51 AM
(24-11-2013 06:23 AM)Dyphex Wrote:  I'm 18 and I just finished sixth form in the UK. I'm currently taking a gap year before studying Creative Music Technologies in university.
As from the course I'm planning to study, it's clear that I love music, and I have aspirations to become a electronic music producer and composer for video games.
Other than that, my other greatest passion is science, and even though I am young I know quite a lot about the main sciences and I absolutely love discussing anything to do with it, and from that came my interest in religion too. I've always been an atheist (always avoided labeling myself that though, I'm quite free spirited and would prefer not to label myself in categories), there was no time, even in my childhood where I believed in the existence of a God, so it really intrigues me how religion can be so important to others (I personally think it's rather pointless and the whole ideals of most religions are extremely unrealistic).
My other interests include digital artwork, video gaming, reading, watching movies, and comics/manga.
Signed up here, as I thought this would be a good place to meet some new people and possibly have interesting conversations!

Arise, as did the gods Ninteand and Ishkur, motherfucker! Tongue

Welcome!

24-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Names Andrew
26 years old.
Male
Arizona
Life long atheist
Long time podcast listener
[+] 1 user Likes error707's post
24-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

25-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Hello all, I finally made an account.
I am from New Zealand, as you maybe able to tell from my username.
I am was/am an Atheist but have strayed over to Anti-theist, thanks to Hitchens lol.
I current live in Invercargill the southernmost and westernmost city in New Zealand, and one of the southernmost cities in the World.
I have never classified/believed in any religion, which is why I find I very hard to understand how how people can believe in some of the thing they do.
Anyway hope to engage in this forum in the future.
25-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Hello,

Brian37 here. ABBA fan, Redskins fan. Love to debate, but do have verbal fangs.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 09:55 AM
(25-11-2013 09:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hello,

Brian37 here. ABBA fan, Redskins fan. Love to debate, but do have verbal fangs.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Welcome, are you from the People's republic of Maryland as well? There are several of us here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Thread Closed