Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
25-11-2013, 09:56 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(22-11-2013 06:35 PM)SevenPatch Wrote:  Hi all,

My name is Jeremy, I use the handle SevenPatch in a lot of places, youtube, video game websites and such.

I'm 31 and recently figured out I am an atheist although I probably have known that for a long time. Lately I've been reading a lot of RationalWiki stuff (which ironically I found by visiting conservapedia, which ironically I found because I was just interested in hearing conservative viewpoints related to politics). I don't want to discuss politics here, and I want to make clear that I don't have anything against conservative views. Also I'd like to note that conservapedia aparently has little if anything to do with politics so I failed in my effort that day but was never the less inspired to debunk that website.

I came across this website while looking for debates between atheists and religious type persons, just out of curiousity.

Welcome.

Conservapedia has very little to do with reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 09:56 AM
(25-11-2013 09:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hello,

Brian37 here. ABBA fan, Redskins fan. Love to debate, but do have verbal fangs.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Uh-oh. Here's trouble. Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 10:01 AM
(25-11-2013 09:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:49 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Hello,

Brian37 here. ABBA fan, Redskins fan. Love to debate, but do have verbal fangs.

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Welcome, are you from the People's republic of Maryland as well? There are several of us here.

No, I grew up in what is now known as the "Ultra sound" state below your "republic" in Alexandria.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Hello, everyone. I am 16 years old, going to be 17 in January, and I'm from Texas. My real name is Bradley, although that or my username are both acceptable when I'm online. I've doubted for the longest time, but it wasn't until I was 13 that I truly gave up Christianity. For the longest time, I was an agnostic and I couldn't bring myself to completely reject God. But, a little under two years ago, I saw a YouTube clip of one of Dawkins' debates and it intrigued me so much that someone could be so open and bold about their disbelief that I had to look deeper. After spending nearly two weeks of summer doing pretty much nothing but eating, sleeping, and watching videos from people like Hitchens, Dawkins, Dusty, DarkMatter, etc., I found Seth Andrews- TheThinkingAtheist. Every day I would listen to his podcast, until school started and I could only fit in time to do so on the weekend. I have recently finished watching all of his videos and listening to all of his podcasts, starting from the newest first and moving backwards nonetheless! XD
I have a girlfriend of 1 1/2 years from a Catholic family and we get along pretty well. From the times that we've talked about religion, it doesn't seem like she really believes it, but it's a mystery with her. I have 2 brothers, one older, one younger, and an older sister. My older brother is a Pagan and my older sister is a Wiccan. I'm not sure what my younger brother's beliefs are, but he's a little young to be worried about anything like that anyway. As many of you may have expected(and experienced yourselves), I have been treated poorly by others upon finding out about my atheism. It seems hypocritical that, under the assumption that I believe what they do, they are, for the most part, friendly people. But, the moment they find out one tiny thing like a personal belief is different they cast you aside and ignore you. Luckily for me, with how most of my family is, I don't experience the same issue at home. It's sort of a safe place for me.
After High School, I plan to study to be an astrophysicist, specifically, in the field of Cosmology. The universe is a massive place and unlocking the origins to this vast mystery would be a living dream for me. Although I can't guarantee that science can even find this information, much less that I would discover it in my lifetime, even moving the scientific knowledge a tiny bit further into this issue would be a worthy achievement. I plan to have my body donated to a medical school after I die. I don't see myself ever needing it again, even if there is an afterlife(which I doubt highly), so why not help advance science after my death? My particles will eventually be recycled into the Universe, so I don't see how slowing that process, ever so slightly, in order to achieve a higher understanding of human anatomy or to help a medical student learn how to better administer health care, would cause anyone harm.
25-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Happy to be here everyone. I'm thankful for Seth and his help on my journey of de-conversion with his book and podcasts.
I am slowly coming out as an Atheist. I came out to my parents and brother 4 months ago, and one co-worker. I have “liked” certain things on Facebook and Twitter that would out me as well. I was raised Christian. My parents and brother don’t understand but have accepted this change and don’t treat me any differently and for that I am grateful.
Now, I am continuing to live my life as a good, moral humanist. Showing them that you can be good without god and that the epistemologically flawed process called “faith” is not a good way to reason. I’m also thankful to have a beautiful loving wife who shares the same de-conversion process as me, and two wonderful children ages 4 and 8. We are raising them to be critical, free thinkers.
My process of de-conversion has been going on for about 10 years. Fueled by many things, but the genesis was a book by Sam Harris, The End of Faith. I place his books high on my list of things that “got” to me. Of course Seth's podcast, The Atheist Experience podcast, and the works of Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and Dan Baker are among my credits for de-conversion.
I am a certified Emergency Room RN. I see things daily that have me in “awe and wonder”- (Yes, Oprah, I have thatSmile
I look forward to thoughtful, reasoned conversations and friendships. Thanks again
[+] 3 users Like Gosoxjsw's post
25-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi there everyone! As you could guess by my username, name's Suzanne. I'm a 24 ex-Mormon kid living in her parent's basement until she's got enough money to move out (hopefully soon). Because I fear that my parents would kick me out before I have enough to live on my own, I'm in the closet. Just graduate from college where I discovered how stupid Mormonism is, partly in thanks to Seth.
As I was going through institute (it's like a young adult bible study), I was questioning more and more things from the doctrine and the course itself (like to why it had to count as BYU credits when I was never going to BYU). I met a friend who was president of the secular student alliance on campus and told me about his group. Curious, I googled Atheism then looked it up on youtube. There I found TheThinkingAthiest through his video, "The Story of Suzy". When I watched it I thought, "She prays so stupid! Suzy, you make us Suzannes look stupid!" Then I got to watching his other videos and found the one about the Ex-Mormon. The video struck me. I had to do research. I found how truly untrue the church I was taught to be the only true church. I started to listen to the podcast like a new addiction and found other Atheist related media with the most influential (to me) being the religious episodes of "Bullshit" and "Religulous". I would apologize in my prayers for wanting to find these things. But of course I couldn't stop thinking. Soon I realized that what I was hearing made sense and just let go of my faith.
I live in a smallish town in Missouri where the people I know are either the Mormons I grew up with or are faithful Christians. I'd like some conversations with individuals who, like me, have no god in their lives and able to talk about topics without a god in the equation. So I joined this forum! Not that used to forum things but I thought I'd give it a go.
Other things useful to know about me? Uh, well, I'm a dork. I like video games, art/crafts, food and coca-cola. I think that's good enough?
[+] 4 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
26-11-2013, 07:09 AM
(25-11-2013 08:19 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Hi there everyone! As you could guess by my username, name's Suzanne. I'm a 24 ex-Mormon kid living in her parent's basement until she's got enough money to move out (hopefully soon). Because I fear that my parents would kick me out before I have enough to live on my own, I'm in the closet. Just graduate from college where I discovered how stupid Mormonism is, partly in thanks to Seth.
As I was going through institute (it's like a young adult bible study), I was questioning more and more things from the doctrine and the course itself (like to why it had to count as BYU credits when I was never going to BYU). I met a friend who was president of the secular student alliance on campus and told me about his group. Curious, I googled Atheism then looked it up on youtube. There I found TheThinkingAthiest through his video, "The Story of Suzy". When I watched it I thought, "She prays so stupid! Suzy, you make us Suzannes look stupid!" Then I got to watching his other videos and found the one about the Ex-Mormon. The video struck me. I had to do research. I found how truly untrue the church I was taught to be the only true church. I started to listen to the podcast like a new addiction and found other Atheist related media with the most influential (to me) being the religious episodes of "Bullshit" and "Religulous". I would apologize in my prayers for wanting to find these things. But of course I couldn't stop thinking. Soon I realized that what I was hearing made sense and just let go of my faith.
I live in a smallish town in Missouri where the people I know are either the Mormons I grew up with or are faithful Christians. I'd like some conversations with individuals who, like me, have no god in their lives and able to talk about topics without a god in the equation. So I joined this forum! Not that used to forum things but I thought I'd give it a go.
Other things useful to know about me? Uh, well, I'm a dork. I like video games, art/crafts, food and coca-cola. I think that's good enough?

Welcome to the forum Suzanne! Cool de-conversion story. Also, there are plenty of nerds here, so you'll fit right in.

On a side note I received several paddlings as a child from my principal, whose name was Ms. Suzanne. You kinda scare me. Bechased

26-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Rainbow RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings Smile

I'm a happily-divorced mother of two really awesome girls. We live in beautiful Canada and enjoy life to the fullest Big Grin

I am raising my girls the way my mom raised my sister and I. Explore! Learn! Question! Find the path that is right for you! My girls are just now starting to 'learn' more about the Christian concept of "god" from friends at school. I explore with them the things they hear and discuss with them about why different people believe (or don't believe) certain things. Most of all, I want to them to feel safe and secure in their choice to believe in either god, the FSM, the goddess, Thor, or just in themselves.... I'm a little more eclectic in that I believe in what I can see/touch, but I get great peace from just sitting in the forest meditating.... that's a conversation for a different time and place Wink
26-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Welcome Suzanne and Eleanor. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Welcome newbies!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Shocked I am just going to introduce myself and start things off light. Dru Denizen 17 625 13-01-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: Dee
  Introduce Myself Nevillean 1 226 23-06-2013 07:56 AM
Last Post: morondog
  [split] Introduce Yourself HERE! Thinking Mom's Letter thinkingmom 8 629 10-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: viocjit
  Derailed :D[split] Introduce Yourself HERE! hylonome 81 4,012 27-08-2012 12:14 AM
Last Post: Atothetheist
  Please allow me to introduce myself Caveman 12 742 29-03-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Can I Introduce Myself Video3tech 24 1,748 27-03-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: aurora
Big Grin Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce myself! justacityboy 24 2,644 26-05-2010 07:12 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever