Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
31-05-2011, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2011 02:02 PM by Efrx86.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Come to think of it, I've been in this forum for a couple of months already and I haven't introduced myself.

Hi, my name is Tony, I'm a 24 year old guy from the Dominican Republic, and I work as a software developer.

I was brought up as a Catholic by my mother (my father is apathetic toward religion, and I had always thought he was a very liberal Catholic... just a few weeks ago we were talking about belief systems and I figured out that he's a deist), but I started to be skeptical at about age 16. I don't remember the exact details but at one point all of a sudden I realized that perhaps this whole religious hocus-pocus was all made up. I started to search the internet for different points of view and after reading and thinking about it a lot I became an atheist.

(30-05-2011 05:52 AM)SumAtheosMagnus Wrote:  HEEY!! My name is Summuel Gan. I'm 15 years old. I'm looking for other Filipino atheists that's near Manila. Add me up on facebook if you want to.

Thanks! Big Grin

http://filipinofreethinkers.org/

I wish I could find a freethinking/secular group so easily over here. The country is supposedly secular, but the Catholic church has a strong grip on politics because of its influence on the voters. Recently abortion was declared illegal with no exceptions, which is pretty awful for a country with a high percentage of poor people. If we had any secular groups politicians would've had a tough time trying to pass that law.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Hi, I'm Sarah- I'm fifteen, and I was lucky enough to be raised by two atheist parents who didn't try to impress any beliefs on me. I'm pretty open about being atheist with my friends, though I have a lot of religious friends at school.
31-05-2011, 09:25 PM

(31-05-2011 01:37 PM)Efrx86 Wrote:  I wish I could find a freethinking/secular group so easily over here. The country is supposedly secular, but the Catholic church has a strong grip on politics because of its influence on the voters. Recently abortion was declared illegal with no exceptions, which is pretty awful for a country with a high percentage of poor people. If we had any secular groups politicians would've had a tough time trying to pass that law.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. This country doesn't need to wake up from democratic reign, but the religious tyranny it has. Majority of the people in this country believe in religion so much that they don't see the damage it's doing.
01-06-2011, 06:42 AM

Hello everyone! Long time atheist, first time poster and all that. I've been a fan of the videos and decided to finally plunge into the forums here. I hope it's as informative, fun, and thought-provoking as other forums I've frequented.

A little bit about me: Married for 18 years this September, in the process of reinventing myself in my early 40s (I'm back in college, full time, to become an English teacher), I'm a long time gamer (board games, card games, role playing games, computer games, you name it) and an avid lover of the outdoors.

So, right... there you are then. Glad to be here!
02-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Hello! Im 15 year old Miguel from Missouri and i was raised catholic but i was smart enough to stop believing in that nonsense. Hope to meet some new friends here especially around my age but it really doesnt matter lol. hope to talk to any of you soon ^.^
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM

RE: An atheist from Down Under
Hi there, i've been listening to Seth's podcasts for months now and thought I'd better take the next step and contribute to his online community. Otherwise it's a one way conversation. Given I live in Australia and to phone in would be cost prohibitive, which forum thread does Seth keep track of while doing his show?
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
RE: An atheist from Down Under
(05-06-2011 10:41 AM)Roxee Wrote:  Hi there, i've been listening to Seth's podcasts for months now and thought I'd better take the next step and contribute to his online community. Otherwise it's a one way conversation. Given I live in Australia and to phone in would be cost prohibitive, which forum thread does Seth keep track of while doing his show?
Hush...
It drives the admins mad if you ask that. Seth doesn't post on this forum. I believe it has something to do with not wanting auto-authority.
Welcome non the less.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Just found the website
I just found the website and am interested in how others deal with the majority of idiots who believe in Christianity because they have never thought that they had an option.

I am a mom of two young adults and am a special Education teacher in Orange County California. I have been an atheist from the time I was 10. All the important people in my life understand that I am an atheist and I think most agree with my position.

Where I find the difficulty is with the majority of people I work with or have friendships with who are so convinced that atheists don't exist. I value these friendships and just don't want to rock the boat. The problem is that these people just assume that everyone here in Southern California is like them and fundamentally believe in Christianity. Thus their conversations always seem to somehow mention God or Jesus or religion. I don't want to offend them but I get tired of the BS I hear from them in this area.

Do any of you deal with this and if so, how do you deal with it???

Thanks, Kristen
06-06-2011, 02:25 AM
RE: Just found the website
If someone says something like "OK, we will meet up, God willing, at 6 PM on Thursday", or simply "God bless you", I just nod along and ignore the god bit. I'm not gonna get pissed over meaningless statements from an individual.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
06-06-2011, 03:15 AM

me too. I also have adult sons by the way. I work as an RN in a Catholic Private Hospital. Until i became an out and proud atheist and engaged in activism I didn't think any of my work mates would believe in this mumbo jumbo any more, how wrong was I. i live in Australia which i thought was so much more secularist than it's turned out to be, the battle for hearts and minds is being waged everywhere I think. Anyway, I too ignore the odd benign statements. The language is so entrenched that i still use it myself on occasion, as do Hitchens and others I have heard during debates. It's nothing more than a way to express yourself politely, instead of using expletives I think. Oh God is much more acceptable than Oh Fuck in polite circles after all. however, if the subject of religion comes up as a conversation item, or I am directly asked I don't hold back. I even do this with my patients who are predominantly older because I work in post orthapaedic rehab. I was nervous when I decided to include my patients too, because of my need to maintain professional communication with the people we serve. To my suprise however they often admit their atheistic beliefs to me when I reveal mine. Sometimes not right away, but more often than not tyhat's what they profess. i suspect what you might find, apart from the scorn of the devout, is that you'll have people in your midst who don't really believe but say they do out of fear or wanting to fit in with what they perceive is the cultural norm.These people may not tell you they agree, but privately they might. Anyway, if one is to live ones life honestly what choice do you have but to repond truthfully when asked!
Thread Closed