Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello, I am new to atheism and free thought. I was a Christian for my whole life, grew up in it. I have come to see over the last couple years that Christianity has so many inconsistencies. This was not easy for me and that is why it took time, however just about a month ago after watching the youtube series on "Why I am no longer a Christian" that things started to really unravel. So here I am as an atheist not sure of the future but pretty damn excited about it.Wink
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like msebert72's post
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
(09-12-2013 08:12 AM)msebert72 Wrote:  Hello, I am new to atheism and free thought. I was a Christian for my whole life, grew up in it. I have come to see over the last couple years that Christianity has so many inconsistencies. This was not easy for me and that is why it took time, however just about a month ago after watching the youtube series on "Why I am no longer a Christian" that things started to really unravel. So here I am as an atheist not sure of the future but pretty damn excited about it.Wink

I'm new here, too, but I wanted to welcome you. Your story sounds very similar to mine.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
09-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Hello.I'm from South Africa , from a community that is still heavily influenced by christianity. My deconversion started a few years ago and it started whilst I was at varsity.The clincher for me was reading the Old Testament ( Do religious ppl actually know what ghastly things are written in there). I have been following Dawkins and youtube atheism. I stumbled across your website and is currently going thru all the podcasts.I'm hoping to meet some new freethinking friends cos I desperately need some
[+] 2 users Like Thurdok's post
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
(08-12-2013 06:44 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Hello!

I'm 16 years old, and have been a confirmed atheist since sometime in March of this year. I feel like sharing my story about my de-conversion in my introduction post if that's no problem. I'm going to provide you with information of my past and how things from it led me to draw this decisive conclusion as of March of 2013.

You see... I've always been asking questions about everything I learn, including religion. In 1997, I was born in an extremely religious muslim household and from as early as I can remember, I was enrolled in a private school that made me pray everyday. At first, I embraced religion and its sentiments, though, as early as when I was 11, I began to ask probing deep questions to my religious teachers and preachers about more of the underlying philosophical components regarding what my religion says about certain things. I recall when I was as young as 10 years old, I asked my religious teacher in my Sunday religious school how God could have existed before time. At times, I wasn't satisfied with these answers they'd given me, like - "He had to in order for the universe to exist". It felt like they were just begging the question as they just confused me and led to more questions. In 2010, I was starting to get even more confused and perhaps frustrated at how inevitable human suffering will be in the afterlife (this is the sort of mentality I was brought up with), how if you miss morning prayers, you will get a heavy ton of rock placed on your back while you bend. I started to even lament my own existence and wished that I didn't, so that I didn't have to go through all of this suffering my religion foretells. That same year, I started asking anybody I knew in my religion about why God would've created me if he knew what my fate would be, (heaven or hell), and that if he'd known I was going to hell anyways, why he'd proceed with creating me anyway. Not one of those people could give me anything close to a reasonable answer. After much doubt about my religion, the next year in October of 2011, I started questioning why Hell was such a terrible place, for such minuscule crimes. Like for example, why somebody who'd done good to others would go to Hell and suffer unimaginable unfathomable torment merely for not believing in the God of my particular religion. I began to think how egotistical and malevolent the God in my religion, and Gods of other religions were. I mean, after all, they're all similar aren't they? At least in monotheistic religions; an infinite God that says to worship him or go to Hell, and a subsequent rapture, destroying all those who don't acknowledge how great he is. I had a breakthrough in my questioning and concluded how a human of limited mental capacity could even understand if a deity such as a God existed in the first place, as there was insufficient evidence, and there's a limit to how much we can see and understand to base our postulations on. In light of this, I therefore concluded that I was an Agnostic. I began refusing to go to religious gatherings, much to the dismay of my parents. I wasn't particularly secretive about my feelings, and didn't know how else to express myself. I needed my voice to be heard and began implying how confusing a God would be and how we wouldn't know if he was even there in the first place. My Dad started taking away my games for punishment for not going to Mosque. This just caused me to be more stressed and saddened on how nobody understood how I was feeling and how people were punishing me for merely expressing my opinions on matters. Then, their approach molded into being more passive and understanding. They told me to still be open minded (as if I wasn't!), and told me they'd really like me to see this learned ''scholar'' who apparently knew lots about philosophy. I decided that I'd go to appease my distressed family members, and I got into a discussion with the guy, his name was Hassanain Rajabali. I knew him and had an interest in him because he had several debates with Dan Barker in early 2000. Our discussion lasted for a few hours and he overwhelmed me as my position was still weak and he was much smarter than me. I fell into his rhetoric and he convinced me that if I didn't know, I should go with it anyway, as I had nothing to lose, right? I, being a bookworm, knew he was proposing Pascals Wager. I thought the idea was nice, and decided to go with it. The next year, in February, however, I began to see the flaws in the Wager, and decided to research more, as my insatiable curiosity was flaring yet again. I looked at the debates Hassanain Rajabali had with Dan Barker again, and decided to eliminate my confirmation bias. I extensively watched the debates (they're available on YouTube), and even read the transcripts. At the end of this vigorous period of learning, I started weighing the arguments and the result was much different than last time. I began to see the beauty of atheism and all that encompassed it. I started to study further for a month until I finally made my mind up, I struggled a lot along the way. I had this feeling of hopelessness of abandoning all I knew about the world and what I was raised with and what was important to my family, an afterlife. I didn't want to give up the idea of a God because there was such a great feeling of believing in those watchful eyes in the sky. Eventually however, I was able to break the stalemate because of a quote supplied by Dan Barker - "You and I breathe the air of the same planet, and truth should be the same for us both. The basic question which should be asked about any religion is: is it TRUE? If the basic claims of theism, sin, miracles, and revelation are true, then maybe your "good news" is truly good.
However, I am an unbeliever. It's not that I particularly want to doubt; it's just that I have no choice. I have examined your claims and I am not convinced that they are true. I may even wish them to be true (or I may not) -but I am not so naive to think that something can be true or false just because I desire it. There must be some reason, beyond wishful thinking." I saw Rajabali in March of 2013, as my family was very scared at my questioning and desire for knowledge. It turns out we got into a huge debate in the car as my Dad was driving about everything regarding religion. I vividly remember asking him this specific question "If there was no Hell, would you kill, rape, and steal?" He answered "Of course I would". It then began to become clear to me how immoral he was as his religion was the only thing keeping him from indulging in these terrible things. I argued to him how there was no need for a God anyway, as I, unlike him, had enough morality to be able to do good without any sort of eternal compensation. Anyway, it turns out he's a vicious anti-Semitic who believes the Jews helped aid 9/11. Now, it's December of 2013, and I've been living comfortably at the idea of atheism, as I've embraced it. Life is precious, even more so, because it's temporal, not eternal. Thank you for reading this very long post, but I felt that I needed to open up to a community of understanding people, and I once again thank you for providing me with that comfort.

Eesh. WOT. Enter button.

Welcome, though.

And boy... are you and FT going to get confusing...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Hello! I am a Christian, interested in atheism. I'm in high school and have always been raised in a Christian family. I'm excited to be exposed to new beliefs and new ideas. My apologetics teacher encouraged us to learn to interact with atheists calmly and rationally so here I am! Very nice to meet everyone!
[+] 2 users Like Inquisitive Minds's post
09-12-2013, 06:05 PM
(09-12-2013 05:57 PM)Inquisitive Minds Wrote:  Hello! I am a Christian, interested in atheism. I'm in high school and have always been raised in a Christian family. I'm excited to be exposed to new beliefs and new ideas. My apologetics teacher encouraged us to learn to interact with atheists calmly and rationally so here I am! Very nice to meet everyone!

Welcome! You seem really nice! I know a lot of people are looking forward to hearing back on your interview thread. Thumbsup
09-12-2013, 10:05 PM
(09-12-2013 05:57 PM)Inquisitive Minds Wrote:  Hello! I am a Christian, interested in atheism. I'm in high school and have always been raised in a Christian family. I'm excited to be exposed to new beliefs and new ideas. My apologetics teacher encouraged us to learn to interact with atheists calmly and rationally so here I am! Very nice to meet everyone!
Welcome to our community.

I hope you have a pleasurable stay. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-12-2013, 10:07 PM
(05-12-2013 03:26 PM)TJnA Wrote:  
Whats up guys,

My name is Jesse. Currently living in heart of the LDS beast, SLC, UT. I just turned 30. My wife's name is Theresa, and my daughter Aurora will be 2 years old Dec. 30th. We are all atheists... Well... I guess it's weird to question whether or not a 2 year old holds atheistic views, but I guess we are all atheists until we come of age to understand such theistic ideas, right? Whatever. I just hope that our mindsets and beliefs provide our child with a clear understanding of our little "pale blue dot" we all call home.

Growing up my mother claimed to be Catholic, I've been to church maybe 40-50 times. I was turned off to the ideas of gods around 10 years old when answers to my newly formed "God" questions to church representatives made little to no sense. My discontent was later reinforced as I learned more about the many different deities, the history of and the geological separation of. The more I informed myself, the more it seemed it was all supernatural jargon.

I love your daughters name Wink

Better late than never Yes
10-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Welcome!

Generally speaking, Christians don't last very long here.

I hope you're prepared Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi everybody, I just started going back through all of the thinking atheist podcast archive and I started liking it more and more, so thought I should join in the forum - read some of the stuff posted here, maybe participate in the discussion. I'm from a pretty religious country, Romania, in eastern Europe. Transilvania is a region of Romania and is mostly known as the birthplace of vampires and Dracula, werewolves ( varcolac ) and zombies ( moroi ) and other really weird supernatural beliefs. The predominant religion here is orthodox christianity and I don't know if it's something that's happening here, or it's just something representative of orthodoxy, but this branch of the belief has appropriated and integrated so much pagan and pre-christian superstition and customs that, If written down, would fill a book bigger than the bible. That being said, people here are a strange combination of "... the fear of GOD!!" and "I couldn't give a flying f@#k". I lost any belief in god and supernatural and I don't even know when, but I know it happened somewhere between high school and college and it was mostly due to the kick that I get from watching or listening to documentaries. So from being very religious and reading bibles and weird christian drivel, after a few hundred hours of documentaries on religion, science, history and all sort of things, I got to being pretty sure that there's no god and there never was. I couldn't even imagine where I would be if it were not for "Top Documentary Films" and for the wonderful community that resides there. Happy-super-funfun impending holiday season!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed