Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hey Gang,

Long-time podcast listener, finally moving to the forum. I am a middle-aged Chicago native and non-believer from an early age in a largely religious extended family. With younger kids, I am now delving into how to best address the topic of religion and philosophy. Keep up the fight against fear and ignorance!

Kato
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kato's post
12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Greetings and Salutations!

I am a 46 yr old, Proud Atheist. Huge fan of the TTA Podcast. After Faking my way through the Mormon Church for 19 yrs of marriage, I had my Atheist Awakening, and logically, the religion I had been begrudgingly tolerating fell quickly by the wayside. I did, however, become somewhat fascinated by just how much baloney was packed into the LDS sammich, and did a fair amount of research into the churches checkered past.

On President's day of 2012, I came out to my wife as an apostate. Luckily, she is pretty awesome, and we are still married, (despite the fact that she remains active).

One year to the day later, I sent in my official resignation. April 2nd, 2013, I received my Letter from the Corporate office, and I am no longer a Member of the Church of Cheesy Fries of Fatter-way Ain'ts.

I was recently quoted in the local paper in a front page article about atheism and "Loss of Faith". I just sent in my response to a smarmy Mormon's Letter to the editor expressing concern that those seeking faith might be steered wrong by having the fact that atheists live in our small town publicly acknowledged.

I mean, it's not as if we send out young atheists, two by two, on bikes to convince people that everything they have grown up believing is wrong and they should join us in the "Truth." That would just be silly.
[+] 3 users Like Someonelser's post
12-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi, everybody! My name is Brooke. I'm not new to the TTA community at all, but I've never been on a forum before and am still trying to figure it out.

I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school in Missouri. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school, but was always really a deist until about 2 years ago when I became an atheist. Happy to be going to a public school now and have many free thinking friends Smile

I really like the atheist community and meeting new people in it. I've known Seth for a year and am lucky to have spent a lot of time with him when he was here and St.Louis and when we were both in Springfield; he's like a brother to me and we're closer than ever. I'm happy to have JT Eberhard as a new friend, and to have gotten the opportunity to speak with Matt Dillaunty and the amazing Lawrence Krauss.

Still not sure how this forum thing works, but hopefully I will get to know some new lovely people!
[+] 1 user Likes brookejreinhart's post
12-12-2013, 10:36 PM
(11-12-2013 08:08 PM)Kuratla Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I've been listening to TTA's podcasts for about a year now (on Youtube) but never went to the website till today when Seth mentioned the website had a remake so I thought I'd go and have a look. And I found a forum.... so here am I.

I'm an ex-Catholic anti-theist atheist. My deconversion took more than a decade though I think I was an atheist for years before I would finally admit it to myself (and others).

I've been living in Asia for 10 years now (though I'm Canadian) and being outside of a Christian environment was certainly helpful in deconverting. Then the Internet, books and Youtube videos from people like Hitchens, Harris, AronRa, Thunderf00t, etc helped me to learn more and finally reject my irrational beliefs.

I'm glad to be here and hope to be an active member in the community.

Cheers,

Kuratla

Hey another expat! What part of Asia are you in?
13-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Hello,
I am a long time atheist who's lack of belief was confirmed in all of the philosophy and theology classes in the curriculum of the catholic university I went to. Surprising the teachers were very welcoming of my different point of view. I have a lot of fundamentalist Christian relatives who live in the south and I even dated a fundamentalist who got me pregnant and then told me that god told him I was not right for him and that he was never going to know his child. So after he asked me to have an abortion he left and I haven't seen him since. I feel like I won that one. I get to raise my child and I get to do it without his family pushing their crazy beliefs on my child. Laughat

I am currently in law school (insert lawyer joke here), it is honestly not what I saw myself doing, but it happens to be what I am suited for. I hope to use my law degree to help the atheist community and make sure that we are treated fairly and that the separation of church and state is upheld .Smartass

So that is a little about me. This is the first atheist forum I have ever come to so I hope it all works out.

Bowing

Thumbsup

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
-Anne Lamott
[+] 2 users Like riverdawn411's post
13-12-2013, 09:30 PM
hello I'm john from Omaha, Nebraska. the synopsis would be I'm a 20 yr old male quiet and levelheaded but a bit naive and i struggle with confidence issues. I'm interested in computers and graphic design. I spent grades 1-5 attending a southern baptist church in Texas before i started to have issues with the things i was hearing and lead me to become a deist in my early teens. I became an atheist about a month or 2 ago though I've probably been one for a lot longer, i just didn't know atheists existed till i found the youtube atheists.
[+] 2 users Like pheon's post
13-12-2013, 10:19 PM
(13-12-2013 09:30 PM)pheon Wrote:  hello I'm john from Omaha, Nebraska. the synopsis would be I'm a 20 yr old male quiet and levelheaded but a bit naive and i struggle with confidence issues. I'm interested in computers and graphic design. I spent grades 1-5 attending a southern baptist church in Texas before i started to have issues with the things i was hearing and lead me to become a deist in my early teens. I became an atheist about a month or 2 ago though I've probably been one for a lot longer, i just didn't know atheists existed till i found the youtube atheists.

Hello John,
I am new to the forum also. Welcome!
My husband is a graphic designer so if you have any questions I would be happy to pass them along to him and get an answer for you.

Thumbsup

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
-Anne Lamott
14-12-2013, 02:06 AM
(13-12-2013 08:48 PM)riverdawn411 Wrote:  Hello,
I am a long time atheist who's lack of belief was confirmed in all of the philosophy and theology classes in the curriculum of the catholic university I went to. Surprising the teachers were very welcoming of my different point of view. I have a lot of fundamentalist Christian relatives who live in the south and I even dated a fundamentalist who got me pregnant and then told me that god told him I was not right for him and that he was never going to know his child. So after he asked me to have an abortion he left and I haven't seen him since. I feel like I won that one. I get to raise my child and I get to do it without his family pushing their crazy beliefs on my child. Laughat

I am currently in law school (insert lawyer joke here), it is honestly not what I saw myself doing, but it happens to be what I am suited for. I hope to use my law degree to help the atheist community and make sure that we are treated fairly and that the separation of church and state is upheld .Smartass

So that is a little about me. This is the first atheist forum I have ever come to so I hope it all works out.

Bowing

HI, and welcome. <hugz>

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-12-2013, 09:56 AM
My name is Charlie Morris. I'm a 55 year old engineer and I live and work in the USA. I was raised in Venezuela, USA, Africa, England and Scotland. I would describe myself more as a skeptic than an atheist, only because my atheism is a conclusion based on the scientific method, it is NOT a belief system. I found that if you press a theist for deist on the definition of "God" you are really unable to understand precisely what they are talking about and consequently are unable to create a hypothesis which can be proven or disproven.
[+] 1 user Likes cpmorris1001's post
14-12-2013, 02:14 PM
(14-12-2013 09:56 AM)cpmorris1001 Wrote:  I found that if you press a theist for deist on the definition of "God" you are really unable to understand precisely what they are talking about and consequently are unable to create a hypothesis which can be proven or disproven.

Nah, in my experience they do have a more or less falsifiable hypothesis in mind when they loudly proclaim X quality for God, but every time you cast doubt on a particular hypothesis they restate it subtly differently or move the goalposts completely so that your example no longer applies.

For example no one can deny that God treats his followers pretty shoddily, but if you ask on this point you may receive any or all of the following rationalizations:
- God is testing them
- God is preparing them for the next life
- They are happy in ways that we cannot understand
- They are not real paid up God-botherers
- How can you judge God ? God is not to be held to a human standard
- God doesn't want to interfere with their human lives (other than via earthquakes, floods, pillars of fire etc).

Originally the statement was "God's a good boyo 'cos he looks after his own", and that's what's written in the writings, but good omnipotent omnibenevolent boyos manifestly do not leave their charges to get royally fucked by circumstance, ergo one deduces secondary qualities for the invisible unknowable being... Rolleyes

It's enough to make you weep...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Thread Closed