Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
19-12-2013, 05:24 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings everyone. My name is Mike, and I'm Mostly Rational... Tongue

I currently live in Texas, but I'm a British import who's been living in the US for the last 20 years. I was raised in a liberal Christian family in the UK that was always more concerned with the pastoral element of the church over scriptural adherence. In fact, I don't recall having a single deep theological discussion with my parents my entire childhood.

I continued to be a regular churchgoer in my 20s, but in reality my faith was never that strong. For me, it was about the friends and community, and feeling good about doing good. I would often think that if Christianity was true, there should be something more to it than this. More joy, more passion.

Then I started coming to the States for business, and discovered the "something more" I was missing, and thought it was just ridiculous (a reaction typical of many Brits, even if they are active churchgoers). After moving here, and after several months of long walks to mull over the issues, I decided that I must be an atheist. There just wasn't enough evidence for the claims made about Christianity, or any religion, for me to justify being a believer anymore.

That was 15 years ago, and I haven't regretted my decision one bit. I have a blog called "Mostly Rational" where I like to talk about religion, atheism, the conspiracy theory crowd (Alex Jones live here in Austin), and skepticism in general. Recently I decided to make an effort to help chronicle the "Rise of the Nones" and hope to continue posting on that subject on a regular basis. Feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

I like the name "Mostly Rational" because I firmly believe no one can be rational all the time. I discovered this first hand when I went through a couple of years of thinking I was dying from ALS / MND (Lou Gehrig's Disease). I was having real neurological symptoms (which I still have) and with the doctors' help quite rationally eliminated many of the possible causes, leading me to conclude that the most likely cause left was ALS -- and I that was going to die in one of the most horrible ways possible.

That's where my irrationality kicked in, and no one, not the doctors or my family or friends could dissuade me from the belief that I had ALS and my life would soon be ending. Only after several months, when I finally had to accept that I wasn't getting any worse, did I snap out of it, and it remains a salutary lesson -- no matter how rational you believe you are, you are not immune from irrational behavior.

Only much later did I realize that, even in my deepest moments of despair, my mind never turned to God, prayer, or religious belief of any kind. I sought comfort in my friends and family, not an imaginary being.

I guess that means I really am an atheist!

Mostly Rational Mike
Blogging at MostlyRational.net
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mostly Rational Mike's post
19-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Hello.

I was searching for an atheist forum where I could become a part of the community, and I stumbled upon this place.

I classify myself as an anti-theist and I enjoy religious debate.
[+] 4 users Like Foxen's post
19-12-2013, 08:59 PM
(19-12-2013 05:24 PM)Mostly Rational Mike Wrote:  Greetings everyone. My name is Mike, and I'm Mostly Rational... Tongue

I currently live in Texas, but I'm a British import who's been living in the US for the last 20 years. I was raised in a liberal Christian family in the UK that was always more concerned with the pastoral element of the church over scriptural adherence. In fact, I don't recall having a single deep theological discussion with my parents my entire childhood.

I continued to be a regular churchgoer in my 20s, but in reality my faith was never that strong. For me, it was about the friends and community, and feeling good about doing good. I would often think that if Christianity was true, there should be something more to it than this. More joy, more passion.

Then I started coming to the States for business, and discovered the "something more" I was missing, and thought it was just ridiculous (a reaction typical of many Brits, even if they are active churchgoers). After moving here, and after several months of long walks to mull over the issues, I decided that I must be an atheist. There just wasn't enough evidence for the claims made about Christianity, or any religion, for me to justify being a believer anymore.

That was 15 years ago, and I haven't regretted my decision one bit. I have a blog called "Mostly Rational" where I like to talk about religion, atheism, the conspiracy theory crowd (Alex Jones live here in Austin), and skepticism in general. Recently I decided to make an effort to help chronicle the "Rise of the Nones" and hope to continue posting on that subject on a regular basis. Feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

I like the name "Mostly Rational" because I firmly believe no one can be rational all the time. I discovered this first hand when I went through a couple of years of thinking I was dying from ALS / MND (Lou Gehrig's Disease). I was having real neurological symptoms (which I still have) and with the doctors' help quite rationally eliminated many of the possible causes, leading me to conclude that the most likely cause left was ALS -- and I that was going to die in one of the most horrible ways possible.

That's where my irrationality kicked in, and no one, not the doctors or my family or friends could dissuade me from the belief that I had ALS and my life would soon be ending. Only after several months, when I finally had to accept that I wasn't getting any worse, did I snap out of it, and it remains a salutary lesson -- no matter how rational you believe you are, you are not immune from irrational behavior.

Only much later did I realize that, even in my deepest moments of despair, my mind never turned to God, prayer, or religious belief of any kind. I sought comfort in my friends and family, not an imaginary being.

(19-12-2013 08:29 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Hello.

I was searching for an atheist forum where I could become a part of the community, and I stumbled upon this place.

Welcome both of you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-12-2013, 09:02 PM
(19-12-2013 05:24 PM)Mostly Rational Mike Wrote:  Greetings everyone. My name is Mike, and I'm Mostly Rational... Tongue

(19-12-2013 08:29 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Hello.

Welcome Rational Mike and Foxen! Glad to have you both joining us here. Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Hey new peeps Smile
So glad you could join us!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
20-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi! I was raised in a Muslim family. Lately I came into the conclusion that I don't believe anymore.
[+] 2 users Like Ex-MuslimInTheCloset's post
20-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Good evening from beautiful coastal SC! I have been an avid fan and faithful listener to The Thinking Atheist for quite a while now. I finally decided to join the forum since I am in desperate need of intelligent secular discussion.

I was a minister for over 25 years before leaving the church about five years ago. I currently teach in the local community college. All of my family is still fairly religious but thankfully, not demanding of me. They accept me where I am though I think a few still think it's "a phase."

It's good to be here and I look forward to "meeting" y'all.
[+] 1 user Likes foilhatzeb's post
20-12-2013, 06:59 PM
(20-12-2013 04:49 AM)Ex-MuslimInTheCloset Wrote:  Hi! I was raised in a Muslim family. Lately I came into the conclusion that I don't believe anymore.

(20-12-2013 06:49 PM)foilhatzeb Wrote:  Good evening from beautiful coastal SC! I have been an avid fan and faithful listener to The Thinking Atheist for quite a while now. I finally decided to join the forum since I am in desperate need of intelligent secular discussion.

I was a minister for over 25 years before leaving the church about five years ago. I currently teach in the local community college. All of my family is still fairly religious but thankfully, not demanding of me. They accept me where I am though I think a few still think it's "a phase."

It's good to be here and I look forward to "meeting" y'all.

Welcome to both of you!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Jewish atheist since age 6. Cardiovascular and astrophysics student. Love surfing. Don't care for discussing religion but if I must i am we'll versed in the Abrahamic faiths.
[+] 2 users Like Avi's post
20-12-2013, 07:53 PM
(20-12-2013 07:22 PM)Avi Wrote:  Jewish atheist since age 6. Cardiovascular and astrophysics student. Love surfing. Don't care for discussing religion but if I must i am we'll versed in the Abrahamic faiths.

Welcome to the forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Thread Closed