Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-12-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(12-12-2013 09:52 PM)brookejreinhart Wrote:  Hi, everybody! My name is Brooke. I'm not new to the TTA community at all, but I've never been on a forum before and am still trying to figure it out.

I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school in Missouri. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school, but was always really a deist until about 2 years ago when I became an atheist. Happy to be going to a public school now and have many free thinking friends Smile

I really like the atheist community and meeting new people in it. I've known Seth for a year and am lucky to have spent a lot of time with him when he was here and St.Louis and when we were both in Springfield; he's like a brother to me and we're closer than ever. I'm happy to have JT Eberhard as a new friend, and to have gotten the opportunity to speak with Matt Dillaunty and the amazing Lawrence Krauss.

Still not sure how this forum thing works, but hopefully I will get to know some new lovely people!

are you the same brooke that I see in the chat room during the podcast? I think I've heard you call in a few times too? Welcome!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Hello from the United States

I am an American Citizen, I live in Washington DC and within a 7 mile radius of my home there are approx 54 different houses of worship, from all over the place, pretty much every area of the globe.

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm a 21 year old college student. I've known about TTA for quite some time, but never became a member of the site. I've been reading a lot of discussions since I signed up and now I would like to ask for some help.
[+] 1 user Likes mazing2010's post
21-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone, I am a machinist that has been cutting metals for almost two decades. I have battled with theism far longer than that. I was a protestant and then a catholic and I even tried a purely bible-based theism with no denomination or churches involved. The bible based theism was the final straw for me. I read things in one book that were contradicted in the next, before I had ever started hearing about them in refutation and bible debunking videos. I just kept noticing inconsistencies and that was enough to shatter whatever faith I had remaining, I actually think, I merely tried to have faith, but I had a hard time playing at pretend. I had already given up on the so called clergy as I believed they were spinsters more interested in manipulation and control of their congregations than they were in actually helping people. The people in my life don't know that I am an atheist but strangely enough, they all know that I despise Christianity and its dominion in the world, it is a scam and a scheme and an albatross that is weighing down very vulnerable people. I thought the people in charge of Christianity were misusing it, even when I attempted to be a believer so I can't wait to be a part of this community and jump into some discussions about it. I am machinist without any advanced degrees, but I love sociology, non-fiction, mathematics and the occasional video game. You should be able to tell how much I've been looking for a community, this is just an intro post and I'm trying to write an essay. Take care folks.

[Image: banner580x90_zpse43f1abd.png]
[+] 5 users Like Cobalt's post
21-12-2013, 09:29 PM
(21-12-2013 08:06 PM)Cobalt Wrote:  Hello everyone, I am a machinist that has been cutting metals for almost two decades. I have battled with theism far longer than that. I was a protestant and then a catholic and I even tried a purely bible-based theism with no denomination or churches involved. The bible based theism was the final straw for me. I read things in one book that were contradicted in the next, before I had ever started hearing about them in refutation and bible debunking videos. I just kept noticing inconsistencies and that was enough to shatter whatever faith I had remaining, I actually think, I merely tried to have faith, but I had a hard time playing at pretend. I had already given up on the so called clergy as I believed they were spinsters more interested in manipulation and control of their congregations than they were in actually helping people. The people in my life don't know that I am an atheist but strangely enough, they all know that I despise Christianity and its dominion in the world, it is a scam and a scheme and an albatross that is weighing down very vulnerable people. I thought the people in charge of Christianity were misusing it, even when I attempted to be a believer so I can't wait to be a part of this community and jump into some discussions about it. I am machinist without any advanced degrees, but I love sociology, non-fiction, mathematics and the occasional video game. You should be able to tell how much I've been looking for a community, this is just an intro post and I'm trying to write an essay. Take care folks.

Welcome to the forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-12-2013, 12:31 PM
(21-12-2013 08:06 PM)Cobalt Wrote:  Hello everyone, I am a machinist that has been cutting metals for almost two decades. I have battled with theism far longer than that. I was a protestant and then a catholic and I even tried a purely bible-based theism with no denomination or churches involved. The bible based theism was the final straw for me. I read things in one book that were contradicted in the next, before I had ever started hearing about them in refutation and bible debunking videos. I just kept noticing inconsistencies and that was enough to shatter whatever faith I had remaining, I actually think, I merely tried to have faith, but I had a hard time playing at pretend. I had already given up on the so called clergy as I believed they were spinsters more interested in manipulation and control of their congregations than they were in actually helping people. The people in my life don't know that I am an atheist but strangely enough, they all know that I despise Christianity and its dominion in the world, it is a scam and a scheme and an albatross that is weighing down very vulnerable people. I thought the people in charge of Christianity were misusing it, even when I attempted to be a believer so I can't wait to be a part of this community and jump into some discussions about it. I am machinist without any advanced degrees, but I love sociology, non-fiction, mathematics and the occasional video game. You should be able to tell how much I've been looking for a community, this is just an intro post and I'm trying to write an essay. Take care folks.

Welcome. Do you do CAD/CAM stuff? Ever used a Boston Digital machine?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Hey this is my first post so yea. I'm 17 and a senior at a catholic high school. My parents are both catholic and so was I until a few years ago. While I'm still a closet atheist, I don't regularly go to church and my parents don't really care. Don't really know what else to say so I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes HTTR's post
22-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Hello. My roommate is a member here. I asked him about this forum when I saw him typing a post and he told me all about it. I'm Buddhist, but he told me there would be no issues with it, since I don't go around trying to force things on people (I very much dislike the thought of forcing anything on anybody). I'm actually quite shy. I'm just not the type of person that gets into heated arguments, so I was nervous about becoming a member. But I did like the idea of being able to correct misconceptions about Buddhism when they come up. Hopefully I can contribute some good. Smile
[+] 5 users Like Compassion4Life's post
22-12-2013, 03:05 PM
(22-12-2013 03:03 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  Hello. My roommate is a member here. I asked him about this forum when I saw him typing a post and he told me all about it. I'm Buddhist, but he told me there would be no issues with it, since I don't go around trying to force things on people (I very much dislike the thought of forcing anything on anybody). I'm actually quite shy. I'm just not the type of person that gets into heated arguments, so I was nervous about becoming a member. But I did like the idea of being able to correct misconceptions about Buddhism when they come up. Hopefully I can contribute some good. Smile

Welcome to the forum! Smile Which user on here is your roomie? Give them a reference point on their profile! (we need to beat KC's record)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
22-12-2013, 03:10 PM
(22-12-2013 02:52 PM)HTTR Wrote:  Hey this is my first post so yea. I'm 17 and a senior at a catholic high school. My parents are both catholic and so was I until a few years ago. While I'm still a closet atheist, I don't regularly go to church and my parents don't really care. Don't really know what else to say so I'm done.

Welcome to the TTA!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Thread Closed