Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-06-2011, 01:26 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello!

I try to be rational by rejecting belief in the supernatural first and foremost. Beyond that I try to use evidence, logic, and sound reasoning to come to conclusions. To date, science and the scientific method have been the best and most accurate tools for discovery.

I try all these things but I fully admit that I am not always successful. But I am improving as I learn more. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with this community and I am grateful to Seth(I think that's his name) for building it.

Thank you!
08-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I'm a rationalist. Constantly amazed that anyone buys the bogus arguments put out by power crazed cults.
09-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Matt from Cape Cod I'm 27. Have been keeping up with TTA since the podcasts started. Anyone else on or near Cape Cod?
09-06-2011, 01:38 PM
RE: Just found the website
(05-06-2011 10:56 PM)Kristen3091 Wrote:  I just found the website and am interested in how others deal with the majority of idiots who believe in Christianity because they have never thought that they had an option.

I am a mom of two young adults and am a special Education teacher in Orange County California. I have been an atheist from the time I was 10. All the important people in my life understand that I am an atheist and I think most agree with my position.

Where I find the difficulty is with the majority of people I work with or have friendships with who are so convinced that atheists don't exist. I value these friendships and just don't want to rock the boat. The problem is that these people just assume that everyone here in Southern California is like them and fundamentally believe in Christianity. Thus their conversations always seem to somehow mention God or Jesus or religion. I don't want to offend them but I get tired of the BS I hear from them in this area.

Do any of you deal with this and if so, how do you deal with it???

Thanks, Kristen

I find my biggest pet peeve these days is the Facebook monster. How many people on my facebook use it as a way to shove god in every ones face only to attack anyone offering another point of view. How absolutely hypocritical. And it gets more so if you happen to mention that you aren't a believer. Numerous occasions I've had my sister of all people troll onto my FB page because of something I've said that wasn't so Jesus happy, only to hear time and again about free speech and butting in... you know even though I was the one butt in on, and am being attacked for something I've said. Stay strong. Use mind powers, and laser eyes.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm an atheist and thats it. no super high IQ or radical freethinking but just a simple guy who refuse to be indoctrinated by religion
10-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Hi Paul and all you other heathens! I'm Jan, 54, an ex-Catholic (much to my embarrassment and shame), and have been an atheist for 20+ years now. I'm very much out-of-the closet and just recently joined a local atheist group through Meet-Ups. It's a great way to find others near you who have similar interests (not just atheism). Here's their web page if anyone is interested. http://www.meetup.com/find/
Nice to meet you all.
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM

I am a 50 year old Australian who has parents who generally say they believe in God but never go much further than that. When I was 8 years old they asked my sister and I whether we wanted to continue Sunday School or not. I decided not and have never looked back.
When I was about 21 my best friend married a fundamentalist christian and over time went fanatic, this inspired m to consider my opinion and I decided I did not believe in God and consequently lost a friend. I tried to explain my reasoning but I'm no rocket scientist and reason was something he was no longer interested in.
About 5 years ago I realized that my sister, who I loved dearly, had also gone over into the fanatic and I could not argue with her either, religious fanatics simply are not open to reason and I think must come to their senses by themselves if ever.
I don't discuss religion with my sister, none of my family does, fairly pointless, I have a good life, a loving family and a growing interest in the writings of Dawkins, Hitchins, Seth and others who are able to put into words the things I have long since reasoned but find hard to describe.
11-06-2011, 10:32 PM

(09-06-2011 01:16 PM)Skeluhtor Wrote:  Matt from Cape Cod I'm 27. Have been keeping up with TTA since the podcasts started. Anyone else on or near Cape Cod?

Actually, yes.
I'm Julia, 17, and I also live on Cape Cod.
Small world, I guess.

My mom's a Christian and my dad's an atheist, so they decided to raise my brother and I with as little theistic or atheistic influence as possible.
13-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Hey, everybody! I am Eric and I have been meaning to join the forum for a long time. It has been a difficult road to where I am now. I am comfortable with myself being free from superstition.
14-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi, i'm a guy called Bouke, i'm 17 years old and I live in the Netherlands. After being raised as a christian my whole life by my parents, I started to question my beliefs about six weeks ago, and I hope to find support on this forum for my situation, advice on how to tell my parents about it. I also hope to learn more about atheism and the (scientific)theory of evolution which, although i'm not convinced of (yet), I have a better understanding of than I had before.
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed