28-12-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(28-12-2013 07:10 PM)aurora Wrote:  Hi Max and Michael,
Welcome to TTA Smile

Thanks! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi all! Im Kelly, 43, married for 18yrs to a "catholic" (in quotes because he only goes to church for weddings, funerals and to make his dear Grandma happy.. I think he's more of a Deist.), 3 dogs (soon to be 2 Sad ), 1 baby cat.

I think I have always been an atheist. I've only recently become brave enough to start using the word. I called myself "agnostic" for a long time. Before that long time, I just felt awkward discussing the subject of religion at all.

I attended a lutheran church from the age of 7-or-so until 15-or-so, but mostly because I liked singing in the choir and because I had a crush on a certain boy there. I remember having a catholic friend in 1st grade who, when she learned I didn't go to church, was truly worried for my soul. I had an aunt who gave me a picture bible and took me to VBS. We would go to church ("Disciples of Christ") with my father's family when we visited them out of state. No matter what church I went to, I always just felt AWKWARD. I closed my eyes during prayers, sat & stood at the right times, etc., but it all felt empty. I enjoyed the sense of community at the Lutheran church, but that was about it. ("Community" should be read as "Robert K")

Oh! I also went to awana for a while. I had fun playing games, and felt some sense of accomplishment at my ability to memorize the stuff they wanted me to memorize. Nothing beyond that.

I don't think I've ever had a feeling in my life that could be described as "spiritual".

That said, I am a very empathetic person, and I have always found religions to be fascinating. No more or less fascinating than I find other cultural practices & traditions, I suppose...

Lately, I have been struggling with SO much anger over what people choose to do to others with their religion. I don't even have to list specifics here; Im sure you know about the human rights, equality & decency issues to which I refer. I avoid churches at all cost now. Last time I went was for my nephew's christening, but only because my baby brother, who I love with all my heart, asked DH & I to be the "godparents" and told me it was okay to stand there and LIE during the ceremony. HA! I will do anything for that kid (well, okay, he's 30) and the kid he made.

Im as "out" as I need to be about my atheism. If anyone asks, I am absolutely honest. I have offered to participate in discussions about it, but rarely get any takers. Not many religious individuals seem very interested in answering my questions, either.

I've been grateful to TTA, TAE and DD for helping me become comfortable saying "I don't know" when a believer says, "Well, how do you explain THIS, then??!!?!?!111" And for helping me tone down my anger & form more cohesive thoughts about what I do and do not believe. It's important to me to communicate in a way that I will be HEARD, ya know?

Anyway, nice to meetcha!
[+] 1 user Likes KellyK's post
29-12-2013, 01:53 PM
(29-12-2013 01:48 PM)KellyK Wrote:  Hi all! Im Kelly, 43, married for 18yrs to a "catholic" (in quotes because he only goes to church for weddings, funerals and to make his dear Grandma happy.. I think he's more of a Deist.), 3 dogs (soon to be 2 Sad ), 1 baby cat.

I think I have always been an atheist. I've only recently become brave enough to start using the word. I called myself "agnostic" for a long time. Before that long time, I just felt awkward discussing the subject of religion at all.

I attended a lutheran church from the age of 7-or-so until 15-or-so, but mostly because I liked singing in the choir and because I had a crush on a certain boy there. I remember having a catholic friend in 1st grade who, when she learned I didn't go to church, was truly worried for my soul. I had an aunt who gave me a picture bible and took me to VBS. We would go to church ("Disciples of Christ") with my father's family when we visited them out of state. No matter what church I went to, I always just felt AWKWARD. I closed my eyes during prayers, sat & stood at the right times, etc., but it all felt empty. I enjoyed the sense of community at the Lutheran church, but that was about it. ("Community" should be read as "Robert K")

Oh! I also went to awana for a while. I had fun playing games, and felt some sense of accomplishment at my ability to memorize the stuff they wanted me to memorize. Nothing beyond that.

I don't think I've ever had a feeling in my life that could be described as "spiritual".

That said, I am a very empathetic person, and I have always found religions to be fascinating. No more or less fascinating than I find other cultural practices & traditions, I suppose...

Lately, I have been struggling with SO much anger over what people choose to do to others with their religion. I don't even have to list specifics here; Im sure you know about the human rights, equality & decency issues to which I refer. I avoid churches at all cost now. Last time I went was for my nephew's christening, but only because my baby brother, who I love with all my heart, asked DH & I to be the "godparents" and told me it was okay to stand there and LIE during the ceremony. HA! I will do anything for that kid (well, okay, he's 30) and the kid he made.

Im as "out" as I need to be about my atheism. If anyone asks, I am absolutely honest. I have offered to participate in discussions about it, but rarely get any takers. Not many religious individuals seem very interested in answering my questions, either.

I've been grateful to TTA, TAE and DD for helping me become comfortable saying "I don't know" when a believer says, "Well, how do you explain THIS, then??!!?!?!111" And for helping me tone down my anger & form more cohesive thoughts about what I do and do not believe. It's important to me to communicate in a way that I will be HEARD, ya know?

Anyway, nice to meetcha!

Welcome, Kelly. I also went to church as a child and never believed a word of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi all..

Came here, looking for a little sanity. But instead, I found a fat englishman who wanted to marry a Dolphin...Smile Did he marry one?

Looking forward to a few interesting discussions.

Scott.
[+] 1 user Likes scotty's post
29-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Hello,

I'm a young-ish Northen girl (England) who has known she was an Atheist for as long as she could remember.

It seems nice to be able to talk about these things with people who won't judge!

Nice too meet you all : )
29-12-2013, 09:23 PM
(29-12-2013 04:29 PM)scotty Wrote:  Hi all..

Came here, looking for a little sanity. But instead, I found a fat englishman who wanted to marry a Dolphin...Smile Did he marry one?

Looking forward to a few interesting discussions.

Scott.

It was definitely that statement that convinced me to join in too!
30-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Chris, I'm 21, from Romania. I study business and economics and own a small business. I've been an atheist since I was 16. Being an atheist in Romania has been quite difficult, with only about 20,000 people declaring themselves as atheists out of a population of 20 million. Very few people know about my religious (dis)beliefs. Telling someone, especially older people you are an atheist, they look at you as if you have as if you have some sort of problem, almost like you're telling them you have a drug problem.
I have joined this forum in hopes of sharing interesting ideas and opinions with other atheists since the only sizable Romanian atheists online community is not very active.
30-12-2013, 09:23 AM
(30-12-2013 08:51 AM)cristimalita Wrote:  Hi everyone, my name is Chris, I'm 21, from Romania. I study business and economics and own a small business. I've been an atheist since I was 16. Being an atheist in Romania has been quite difficult, with only about 20,000 people declaring themselves as atheists out of a population of 20 million. Very few people know about my religious (dis)beliefs. Telling someone, especially older people you are an atheist, they look at you as if you have as if you have some sort of problem, almost like you're telling them you have a drug problem.
I have joined this forum in hopes of sharing interesting ideas and opinions with other atheists since the only sizable Romanian atheists online community is not very active.

welcome Chris!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm JD and a semi-closeted atheist. My wife (agnostic), mom, my kids, and a couple friends know. If I spoke up more, I fear I would lose a lot of "friends", and extended family and in-laws would not talk to me anymore.

My mom went to a Catholic school as a kid (bad experience for her) and as a result never pushed religion on us other than just believing in "god" and saying prayers. I'm not sure I ever really believed.

The past couple of years I find myself really angry at any mention of religion, angry when anyone I know brings it up or posts about it on Facebook, and I find myself wondering how could people be so stupid. This has been a struggle for me.

Hopefully being on this forum will help me! I'm a big fan of the podcasts that Seth puts out!
Thread Closed