Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-12-2013, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 10:50 AM by Scott E.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi everyone,

I'm newly registered though I've browsed the site before and having been listening to TTA podcasts for a while.

I grew up Catholic and was very devout as a child, especially in high school. Mostly it was self imposed, my (divorced) parents went to church but never really forced me into the level of commitment I had. I didn't start to question my faith until I got to college and very quickly realized how sheltered I had been. I lost my interest in organized Christianity early on, and learned more about the other Abrahamic religions before exploring some eastern religions.

After spending some time in Southeast Asia (India, Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam Big Grin) I came back to the US with little interest in religion. I continued the tradition of meditating that I picked up, but that was it. A short time later my girlfriend got pregnant, had our daughter, and then became my wife. She was also from a religious (United Methodist) family, but also attended church only on major holidays. We've been married almost 4 years and everything has worked out incredibly well considering the short amount of time we dated.

We believed (maybe falsely it turns out) that religion wasn't a big enough part of our lives to warrant much discussion before we married. We have, however, begun to split in our views on religion in the past few months/years. Without really discussing it with each other our thoughts have diverged and her desire is to become "more Christian," and I'm obviously signing up for atheist websites. Undecided

The majority of the reason for both of our decisions is our daughter and how we want her to be raised. My wife wants her to "have faith in something" and I want her to be knowledgeable about everything and be able to make her own decision. While my wife has said she noticed me reading Dawkins, Krauss and others (I'm a scientist by profession and so my reading/thinking/etc leans that way) this has all really come out in the past two days when I used the "a" word to describe myself. We've talked about it a lot since then and there have been a few moments when the shock of how far we had each come seemed to threaten our marriage. To be fair, I've probably strayed further from where I was than she has and I made the bigger change in dropping religion that she did in going back to it. We're doing better today than we have been the past 48 hours, and I'm hopeful for our future.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for my first post. I'm happy to be here and look forward to getting to know everyone!

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Isaac Newton
Find all posts by this user
30-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome JD and Scott.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi. I'm Jayne. I am a member at Suscipe Domine Traditional Catholic Forum where some TTA members have posted recently.
31-12-2013, 05:01 PM
(31-12-2013 04:06 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Hi. I'm Jayne. I am a member at Suscipe Domine Traditional Catholic Forum where some TTA members have posted recently.

Welcome, be warned we do not have the same rules as SD ideologies are not protected here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-12-2013, 05:11 PM
(31-12-2013 04:06 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Hi. I'm Jayne. I am a member at Suscipe Domine Traditional Catholic Forum where some TTA members have posted recently.

Hey Smile Welcome. Cool of you to come over, that takes courage, to step into ye olde viper nest, given what I understand you guys think of us over there. Hope you have some enlightening discussion over here Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Welcome Jayne, and thank you for being reasonable about KC in the final posts of his thread over there.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I am a Traditional Catholic who attends Mass in the Fraternity of Saint Peter. This means I take my family to a Catholic Mass that is spoken in Latin.

I don't think I am here to preach, as I am not gifted towards it. But I do have some sort of understanding of the Church, for what it is worth. In any event, Kingschosen mentioned this forum, and I thought it might be worth a visit. At least to read some of his threads, anyway.

I typically frequent the following forums and blogs:

Fisheaters.com (FE)
SuscipeDomine.com (SD)
Cathinfo.com (CI)
voxday.blogspot.com (The Dread Ilk)

I have a blog called The Hirsch Files:
http://thehirschfiles.blogspot.com/

For what it's worth, I even have a published book under the name Laramie Hirsch. (The editor did a crappy job of formatting the text, sorry 'bout that. I'll fix it some day.)

The Road to Moloch

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
[+] 1 user Likes LaramieHirsch's post
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
(01-01-2014 11:49 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  ...
In any event, Kingschosen mentioned this forum, and I thought it might be worth a visit.

Welcome. I hope you enjoy it here.

Prepare to be probed. There are questions regarding catholicism that come up occasionally and your contribution will no doubt prove valuable.

Cheers
DLJ

ps. I just thought... We've had some visitors from SD recently and they were 'called home' by the site's owner and told not to fraternise with the enemy Smile

I didn't want you getting into trouble.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Welcome to the Pit of Vipers! Big Grin

Are you a deer (Hirsch in German) from Laramie, WYO...?

I wonder about the propensity of SD members toward sorta-cryptic German-language usernames? My favorite is the CheeseHead guy. Gotta be a Packer fan....

Thanks for visiting, I hope you are not imperiling your membership at SD for being here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-01-2014, 12:26 AM
(02-01-2014 12:23 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Thanks for visiting, I hope you are not imperiling your membership at SD for being here.

Again, I was uninformed. I'll need to take a look at what's going on.

-LH

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
Thread Closed