Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
02-01-2014, 03:42 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Just want to say hi to you all. So HI EVERYONE! Not very active writer although read posts regularly. So... well... I guess that's it for now. Smile
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Satu's post
02-01-2014, 03:45 AM
(02-01-2014 03:42 AM)Satu Wrote:  Just want to say hi to you all. So HI EVERYONE! Not very active writer although read posts regularly. So... well... I guess that's it for now. Smile

welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Hello/ नमस्ते everybody its Menhit from India. I am an atheist who used to be a believer in past. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Menhit's post
02-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I was raised to believe that there was a God but science was the way to go. Eventually I felt that god had no point in my life and became an atheist.
I grew up in love with evolution and all the prehistoric animals (especially dinosaurs).
I have always moved toward more intelligent people to talk to and befriend so naturally atheism is were I feel comfortable.
I believe in being good to others and that religion is going to limit the human race and I wouldn't mind if it was gone.
I also love comedy so very much.
[+] 1 user Likes dinofreak22's post
02-01-2014, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 09:12 AM by kingschosen.)
Hiya people! I'm Martine from London. I followed TGAC here. Smile
[+] 2 users Like NoraBrimstone's post
02-01-2014, 06:04 PM
... Seriously? My first ever post and my new keyboard autocorrects TGAC to "THAT" and I hit "post reply" just as I notice, and I can't even edit it?
LOL

I guess I'll be the new resident fuckwit. :-D
[+] 3 users Like NoraBrimstone's post
02-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Hullo everyone!

I guess this will be my first post. I am just your average atheist roaming the internet.
[+] 3 users Like Dragonetti's post
03-01-2014, 09:13 AM
(02-01-2014 06:04 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  ... Seriously? My first ever post and my new keyboard autocorrects TGAC to "THAT" and I hit "post reply" just as I notice, and I can't even edit it?
LOL

I guess I'll be the new resident fuckwit. :-D

There you go.

Fixed it for you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-01-2014, 10:16 AM
(02-01-2014 06:00 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  Hiya people! I'm Martine from London. I followed TGAC here. Smile

Welcome to TTA, Nora/Martine. Big Grin

I'm not so sure I'd so readily admit to following TGAC around. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-01-2014, 12:05 AM
My path from Mormon missionary to atheist
My Name is Richard. I was raised in a Mormon family with 12 other siblings. Growing up I wasn't nearly as interested in the religion as everyone else in my family. I went to church and all the church activities but I didn't tell people there about my doubts. I knew what the answers they wanted were and I gave them. I didn't read the Bible or Book of Mormon very much because they honestly didn't do anything for me. I didn't drink alcohol or coffee or swear or any of the Non-Mormon stuff. Even though I didn't really believe in Mormonism I felt more socially comfortable with Mormons than with Non-Mormons.
I didn't plan on going on a mission but in Mormonism going on a mission is something that must be done for (if your a boy) if you want to have any respect in the church. After I graduated High School I moved in with one of my older brother and his room mates but I didn't have much of a plan for the future. I was active in church because I lived with Mormons and I did like getting to know some people in the ward. I didn't take any college classes because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I worked part-time at Papa John's. After a while I started embracing church more and I actually turned in mission papers. I don't think that deep down I ever really believed all of Mormonism but it seemed like the only thing to do if I wanted to be part of this group and I wanted to go for the experience of something new. I didn't care what was true. I felt like I had to make Mormonism true if I wanted any sort of future. I was actually really excited right after I decided I wanted to go.
I got called to the West Las Vegas Spanish speaking mission and I went to the MTC on April 25, 2012. For those of you who don't know the MTC is the missionary training center and it is basically a place where you are constantly bombarded with foreign language classes and Mormonism indoctrination. (You are only allowed to bring 5 books about Mormonism to read while you are there.) the people there flat out said that one of their objectives is to make sure that everyone "knows" Mormonism is true by the time they leave. Fortunately (or unfortunately for them) this didn't happen for me. As I started to take God more seriously I couldn't keep my doubts in the closet that I shoved them into so I could go on a mission. We watched a video were someone talked about how they were Mormon even though everyone in her family was Catholic and how she felt like she could still be Mormon even though she had a ton of social pressure not to be. That video actually made me feel like I could not go on a mission and be okay. The MTC seriously felt like a prison. I wanted to do research on Joseph Smith and other religions from a different perspective but I couldn't. I talked to some teachers there but most of them just told me to pray for a testimony. There was only one person who talked to me like deciding the church isn't true was an option. I was in Las Vegas for a month and then I went home.
My life after I came home was hard, but it wasn't nearly as hard as when I was on the mission. When I first went home I didn't think that the church was true but I did believe that supernatural stuff went on with Joseph Smith and other people. I moved back in with the same brother I lived with before and I went to church for a while. He had an agenda for me to believe in Mormonism and I had an agenda to believe whatever was true and act on it. When I researched from the other side I came to the conclusion that Mormonism wasn't true. He told me that I couldn't live with him unless I went to church, which made our relationship fall apart.. I moved out and am going to start the graphic design media arts program this year. I am interested in talking with more like minded people and would love to get a reply to this.

Richard
[+] 1 user Likes richard.a.rawlings's post
Thread Closed