Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-01-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, my name its Mário, i am 37, Portuguese, and atheist since birth. Had several experiences with religion in the past, that resulted in a more strong atheism.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes hdfailure's post
04-01-2014, 10:39 PM
(04-01-2014 12:05 AM)richard.a.rawlings Wrote:  My Name is Richard. I was raised in a Mormon family with 12 other siblings. Growing up I wasn't nearly as interested in the religion as everyone else in my family. I went to church and all the church activities but I didn't tell people there about my doubts. I knew what the answers they wanted were and I gave them. I didn't read the Bible or Book of Mormon very much because they honestly didn't do anything for me. I didn't drink alcohol or coffee or swear or any of the Non-Mormon stuff. Even though I didn't really believe in Mormonism I felt more socially comfortable with Mormons than with Non-Mormons.
I didn't plan on going on a mission but in Mormonism going on a mission is something that must be done for (if your a boy) if you want to have any respect in the church. After I graduated High School I moved in with one of my older brother and his room mates but I didn't have much of a plan for the future. I was active in church because I lived with Mormons and I did like getting to know some people in the ward. I didn't take any college classes because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I worked part-time at Papa John's. After a while I started embracing church more and I actually turned in mission papers. I don't think that deep down I ever really believed all of Mormonism but it seemed like the only thing to do if I wanted to be part of this group and I wanted to go for the experience of something new. I didn't care what was true. I felt like I had to make Mormonism true if I wanted any sort of future. I was actually really excited right after I decided I wanted to go.
I got called to the West Las Vegas Spanish speaking mission and I went to the MTC on April 25, 2012. For those of you who don't know the MTC is the missionary training center and it is basically a place where you are constantly bombarded with foreign language classes and Mormonism indoctrination. (You are only allowed to bring 5 books about Mormonism to read while you are there.) the people there flat out said that one of their objectives is to make sure that everyone "knows" Mormonism is true by the time they leave. Fortunately (or unfortunately for them) this didn't happen for me. As I started to take God more seriously I couldn't keep my doubts in the closet that I shoved them into so I could go on a mission. We watched a video were someone talked about how they were Mormon even though everyone in her family was Catholic and how she felt like she could still be Mormon even though she had a ton of social pressure not to be. That video actually made me feel like I could not go on a mission and be okay. The MTC seriously felt like a prison. I wanted to do research on Joseph Smith and other religions from a different perspective but I couldn't. I talked to some teachers there but most of them just told me to pray for a testimony. There was only one person who talked to me like deciding the church isn't true was an option. I was in Las Vegas for a month and then I went home.
My life after I came home was hard, but it wasn't nearly as hard as when I was on the mission. When I first went home I didn't think that the church was true but I did believe that supernatural stuff went on with Joseph Smith and other people. I moved back in with the same brother I lived with before and I went to church for a while. He had an agenda for me to believe in Mormonism and I had an agenda to believe whatever was true and act on it. When I researched from the other side I came to the conclusion that Mormonism wasn't true. He told me that I couldn't live with him unless I went to church, which made our relationship fall apart.. I moved out and am going to start the graphic design media arts program this year. I am interested in talking with more like minded people and would love to get a reply to this.

Richard

Welcome to the Snake Pit, Richard! Cool

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
05-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone!!
I am a college student from India studying Electrical Engineering. I was raised in an moderate Hindu-Brahmin family.......
[+] 2 users Like Posiedon's post
05-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Hello,

I am Reven. I am new here. I lost belief a few months ago however I am not out as an atheist yet. I was brought up as a fundamental Christian, am married to a fundamental Christian, have two children, and live in the so called Bible belt. I have had doubts about my religion for years but never a doubt in god. Now, after reading books from the four horsemen, reading blogs, and watching youtube channels, including THA, I feel relieved that the chains have been removed from my mind.

Reven
[+] 2 users Like Reven Reborn's post
06-01-2014, 02:13 PM
"Recovering Catholic" here to make a difference!
Hello, everybody!

I am a "recovering Catholic" from Charlotte, NC. I have only recently started listening to The Thinking Atheist podcast, but I find it and the Friendly Atheist blog to be my two favorite sources for Atheism on the web.

I am joining the community today to try to connect with other Atheists in my area as well as the community at large. It is fascinating to me how, beginning with the Pew Research Study last year that chronicled the "Rise of the Nones," how much publicity Atheism has gotten. It seems like so many more people now are finally coming out of the closet and professing that fact that it has taken me YEARS to come to grip with:

THERE IS NO GOD, and that's a GOOD THING™!
[+] 1 user Likes cybertuna's post
07-01-2014, 05:11 AM
Re: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello all,

I CAN POST! (Thanks Admin!)

I've been lurking for a while now and thought that I should enter the fray of the forums.

I'm old (on the wrong side of fifty anyway), an atheist and have always been a nonbeliever as I have never been able to accept an assertion without evidence.

I enjoy a good laugh, a good argument and a good single malt!
[+] 2 users Like TristramLennard's post
07-01-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm an 18 year old Cali resident (male), just graduated high school and am a licensed pharmacy technician. I was raised devout Christian from birth by my father. I was questioning my religion by 7th grade and considered myself atheist/agnostic by 10th. I'm hoping to go to college some time soon to pursue career in either video game design or computer security. I'm also a bit of gamer when I have the time.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
07-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Lots of new members…..welcome to TTA!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I'm a 21 year old philosophy undergrad form Sheffield, England. I've recently started bloging about atheism,
http://liamdeacon.wordpress.com/2013/12/...amophobia/
[+] 1 user Likes Liam's post
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 in Colorado. I attempted to be christian when I was younger because I thought that was what I was supposed to be, until I started to educate myself and realized I didn't believe any of it. I was too afraid to admit it to anyone since I didn't know any non-believers at the time (at least openly). I soon found out my dad was atheist (he just never talked about it), my brother became atheist very openly and I started to research. I started calling myself agnostic, thinking that my friends and extended family wouldn't hate me for just "not knowing". But the time came that I just couldn't hide it anymore and am a fully open atheist now. To some of my religious in-laws, I don't know what they think of me; I don't shout it out everywhere I go, but if they ask, I will answer honestly. I believe none of it!! Wink I have a hard time finding like-minded friends, other than my amazing atheist co-workers! Sometimes I wish it were easier to meet more secular people. If there's anyone on this forum in the Denver area, let me know!! Smile I would love to raise my kids around more tolerant people! I look forward to reading some great discussions! I love this podcast!
[+] 1 user Likes Scarlet622's post
Thread Closed