Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
16-01-2014, 10:49 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi. I am sixteen, have been an atheist for the past four years or so and I am the only one in my family. They took it relatively well (though occasionally it causes problems) but I'm pretty sure they all think it's just a phase.

It used to be just a minor thing, but as I read and watched more and more atheist blogs, forums, videos, etc. it started to effect my world view a lot more, so I decided to join so I could talk about it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
16-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Hey ya bunch of heathens!!Smile

Here's my story, I'm sure it's similar to some of yours. It might be boring, but this is it in a nutshell.

I was born in 1965 and I was raised in the catholic church. I met the requirements of the church. I married in 1987 and converted to a non-denominational Christian church. I became a very active member of the church while our children were young. I made sure my children were baptized. Uggg!-I was guilty of indoctrination! I hate this. (all is good now with this though, my children are 17, 21, and 23 and are freethinkers, logical and rational!) My wife is an extremely liberal christian, considers herself "Spiritual". I think she's okay with my conversion, but it wasn't that way at first. We've had lots of discussions about it.

My sister was a brittle juvenile diabetic who suffered more than anyone can ever imagine. I am not kidding about this. Kidney failure and a heart attack finally took her in 1997 at the age of 41. (I always wondered why, after all the praying, my sister NEVER got any relief from her pain.)

In 2008 my brother (and best friend) died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 50. While at the cemetery going over the documents with my mother, brother and wife, I went to visit my sisters grave and broke down. Slamming my fist against the soil and wondering why this happened. My brother was not a church goer. I would have to say he just never bought into religion. I don't know if he believed in a God or not. I would imagine, to him, it was a big waste of time. At his funeral, the church pastor started by preaching about heaven and hell. Then proceeded to try bring whatever lost soles he could to Jesus. For some reason this REALLY hit me the wrong way. I started boiling inside. This was not about him or Jesus, this was about my brother.

I think this traumatic event caused something inside my brain to snap. A trance that I had been in since childhood, the brainwash was broken.
Days and months would pass and I began to question everything. I started to think for myself. I began to realize that I was in charge of my life not a god.

What I know now: The bible is an ancient book of myths written by tribal people in the desert in the bronze age, based on previous myths and superstitions. The church is only about money, control, and spreading the disease.

So here I am. Free from the bondage of religion. It's a feeling beyond comparison. I now know that I will die and that will be the end (except for my legacy) and someday when the earth is no more, my atoms and DNA will become part of the universe. Who knows, maybe these things will be the seed of life on another planet! Now every day I see that life is even more beautiful than ever. I love stronger, I live more fully, I am very happy.

I enjoy listening to Seth's podcasts and Youtube videos as well as many other atheism based information while commuting. I subscribe to Google+ Atheism Community and others. I love science, physics, astronomy, nature, and filling my head with knowledge.

I am still in the closet. Yeah, a few people know I'm now an Atheist (other atheist friends and my wife and kids) but there are friends family members who would not know how to deal with this. I'm not ready to rock the boat.

I hope to one day go to an atheist convention or seminar, or something like that. I'd like to see and hear Seth in person (and maybe play some tennis with him if he's ever in Atlanta.
[+] 1 user Likes pnutbdr's post
17-01-2014, 02:33 AM
GREETINGS EVERYONE!
I am called by a name I hate so I tend to go by the moniker of "The Spiral Occultist" on most other sites, but seeing as this is an Atheist forum I thought that calling myself a "Non-occultist" would be more fitting as I am not actually an occultist.
I am, however, 20 years old, an out atheist among my friends and immediate family, a student studying to one day enter the publishing industry, and a slave to one of the biggest companies in the world.
I'm living in Oklahoma and was raised christian. I was once probably the most god fearing toddler in the world, having been force fed stories of hell and damnation practically since I left the womb. Luckily I was given many a chance to see the world for what it truly is; a beautiful, messed up, scientific and miraculous place.
17-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Hi, I am a curious Homo sapiens (as the result of evolution of course) born Christian, live in the most populous Muslim country, Indonesia.
19-01-2014, 12:31 AM
I am toadaly (sorry, no real name or pictures...I'm a wimp). I am a former believer, a bit older than most here probably. My turn ons are long walks on the beach...Tongue

...have been active in these kinds of forums since Gore invented the internet, under a variety of names.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
19-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Hi,I'm 35 and a mother of 3.I am very open about being an atheist(expect at work).I work in the medical field.My bf is also an atheist,so that makes life easier.I'm a lover of anything science.I'm not good at the whole introducing "myself" thing,so sorry if it's cheezySmile
19-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Have been an atheist since a I was old enough to say, "Yeah, right !!", or "No way!". Am not very social in the atheist scene as I live rather far out and I am Libertarian, not Liberal. I am a bit fond of Objectivism.
I am single, a student, 43 yrs old, and an animal lover. I am out-of-the-closet, sometimes even at work - they read my bumper sticker/decal and bring up the subject.
I'm a bit of a health nut. I garden a bi. Sometimes I have a vegetable garden. I call myself feminist, but that is often quite different from what other feminists would call me. I like long hair, skirts, and heels ...when I go out.
I like rational debate periodically, but will not constantly waste my time and energy defending my position. I'll let someone know I disagree and may not explain myself, if I've done it too often recently.

Attached File(s)
.docx  Question everything has been my motto since I was in diapers.docx (Size: 21.08 KB / Downloads: 8)
19-01-2014, 04:16 PM
(30-08-2010 09:46 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  Hey

I was looking for a place to introduce myself, and realized that there was no "one thread" for members to do so. I thought I would start one.

I'm Paul. I am a 31 y/o male stationed with the Army in South Korea. I have been an Atheist all my life, I was raised as one. I run a small blog and I am getting ready to leave the Army.

I am an open atheist, there's no hiding for me, I tell other people about Atheism and why I choose to be one. But I try very hard not to be pushy about it.

Anyone else?

Paul, I'd love to know how many South Koreans are atheists. The Korean communities in the US seem to be largely Christian.
19-01-2014, 04:20 PM
(31-08-2010 09:26 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I'm a nineteen-year-old (twenty in less than two weeks) American student that's currently studying abroad in Japan. I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in Linguistic Morphology. I love playing music, especially the drums, and would love to get into a professional band at some point in my life. =P I tend to get into something (usually a video game universe) with all of my being, then bore of it a few weeks later and move onto something else.

Hey ! c When I was 20 (I'm 43 now), I moved to Tokyo for a few months. It was supposed to be for a year, but I broke up with the man I'd moved in with, so left crushed. I lived in Yoyogi-Uehara.
19-01-2014, 04:22 PM
(31-08-2010 02:59 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  My name is Sam, I'm a twenty-year-old university student entering my third year. I'm pursuing an Honours Degree in English, which I am going to continue with a Masters, and eventually a PhD in some area of poetry.
I love school, and I love learning. I want to devote my life to being a university professor and give students the critical thinking skills that our poor education system has failed to give to most of them. I also plan on learning as much as I possibly can about poetry and literature within my lifetime.

My #1 favorite poet is Kahlil Gibran, even though he was a theist.
[+] 1 user Likes wynnth's post
Thread Closed