Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-01-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone. Have been sorta lurking here once in a while when I'm bored, but a longtime regular over on http://www.rationalskepticism.org and http://www.theleagueofreason.co.uk/ and a few other places - where I go by the same alias, "Rumraket" (which is danish and means space rocket)

I'm an atheist, I fucking love science, know quite a bit of molecular biology (I'm actually just a lowly lab technician, but have worked for a while with research in cancers and viruses, much of which was about cell biology, genetics and molecular biology), less but still some biochemistry, and one of my primary hobbies in those other places have been to use this knowledge to take apart creationist nonsense about abiogenesis and molecular evolution (particularly phylogenetics and protein evolution, which no creationist, ever, EVER actually understands or honestly represents when they criticise) where I find it.

Oh, and laugh at general religious/woo looney logic. The all time classic that always rears it's head is "I don't know/we haven't found out yet - therefore god/magic/woo/quantumbabble" etc. etc.

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi, I'm from the UK. raised in the baptist/CofE religion. Was quite serious about my religion until I was 14/15 when we moved from the Sunday School to what was called "Pathfinders". Frankly I was too much into sailing to attend all the time but stopped attending then, but i guess I considered myself as a christian until my mid 20s when I started to thing it was a load of rubbish.
I'm married and have one daughter, who means the world to me. Along with my wife of course. :-) I'm trying to raise her to be a free thinker and hope she makes good choices in her life. But without the baggage that I've spent the last few years trying to shed!
27-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello fellow Heathens!
27-01-2014, 11:12 PM
hi im jonathan a 16 year old Hispanic male. Im so glad i finally opened my eyes after years of indoctrination as a child.
I became an atheist after reading comments in a youtube video about the bible.
i saw my fellow Catholics brutally beaten in debates with atheists and it got me to question all the information i accepted simply because my parents and and teachers at my Sunday school said were true.
I began researching evolution and the big bang theory and these theories made more sense to me and they were supported by evidence.
Then when i started studying world history in school i realized how harmful religion has been to humanity and that religion was first created to explain the countless things man did not know.
Thats when i officially became an atheist.
28-01-2014, 01:16 AM
(27-01-2014 03:16 PM)tlag77 Wrote:  Hello fellow Heathens!

Welcome Evil_monster

(27-01-2014 11:12 PM)officernasty Wrote:  hi im jonathan a 16 year old Hispanic male. Im so glad i finally opened my eyes after years of indoctrination as a child.
I became an atheist after reading comments in a youtube video about the bible.
i saw my fellow Catholics brutally beaten in debates with atheists and it got me to question all the information i accepted simply because my parents and and teachers at my Sunday school said were true.
I began researching evolution and the big bang theory and these theories made more sense to me and they were supported by evidence.
Then when i started studying world history in school i realized how harmful religion has been to humanity and that religion was first created to explain the countless things man did not know.
Thats when i officially became an atheist.

Welcome Jonathan! We've got a more than a few teens and recovering Catholics. Myself, I'm an older (cough) recovering Catholic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

28-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Hello I'm Courtney and I'm a 22 yr old from Ohio and have been an atheist since I was 16 when I questioned my faith (it being Christianity). Though I had a hard time believing the stuff my grandparents tried to teach me and my cousins since a young age. I still have not come out about it my family besides a close cousin who is an agnostic and plan to when the time is right.
28-01-2014, 07:48 PM
(28-01-2014 07:40 PM)Aquaberry22 Wrote:  Hello I'm Courtney and I'm a 22 yr old from Ohio and have been an atheist since I was 16 when I questioned my faith (it being Christianity). Though I had a hard time believing the stuff my grandparents tried to teach me and my cousins since a young age. I still have not come out about it my family besides a close cousin who is an agnostic and plan to when the time is right.

Hug it's hard. Welcome to our community. Smile

29-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I’m Joshua, a 27 year-old living in the Oklahoma City area. I was raised in the peculiar Christian denomination of Seventh Day Baptist. Fortunately for me I flew the coop at 17 to join the Marines and thus began my journey from religion. 10 years later a lot has happened, but 2013 was perhaps my most momentous. The year included finding my voice, coming out to my immediate family, getting married to an amazing woman, and a giant leap in my professional career.

My progression from religion to atheism has been primarily personal and the need to join a community is long overdue. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.
29-01-2014, 10:55 AM
(29-01-2014 10:48 AM)DullPencil Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I’m Joshua, a 27 year-old living in the Oklahoma City area. I was raised in the peculiar Christian denomination of Seventh Day Baptist. Fortunately for me I flew the coop at 17 to join the Marines and thus began my journey from religion. 10 years later a lot has happened, but 2013 was perhaps my most momentous. The year included finding my voice, coming out to my immediate family, getting married to an amazing woman, and a giant leap in my professional career.

My progression from religion to atheism has been primarily personal and the need to join a community is long overdue. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

Welcome to the community! We're a surly but welcoming bunch.

29-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Great idea for site virgins, such as me.

55 yo male living in New Zealand. Was a happy-clappy AOG for around 20 years (age 18 - 38), and deeply involved at that. There were good reasons to remain involved even when doubts abounded:
- not trying hard enough / don't quite get it / involved in music so a good outlet / generally good people and good friends / what happens if we push this or that faith button? (answer - nothing.).

Have therefore been an atheist since the mid '90s, and have only really lately come to the 'live' atheism found on the net - Hitchens connections and then of course this site and podcast - which I'm devouring, and look forward to each week.

My wife and I stepped out of the church at about the same time, which was useful, and although she complains about my hard-arsed approach, she generally agrees with me.
During a walk the other day I mentioned a comment by Aron Ra regarding things being either evidently not true or not evidently true - a fine and appropriate distinction in a number of arguments. Both being from a health background, we went on to talk about evidence based healthcare and medicine, at which point my wife declared that we, in fact, practice evidence based religion (ipso facto - NONE AT ALL). I think this would make a great t shirt for the site and will raise it in a new thread somewhere....
Thread Closed