Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2014, 03:58 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Figured I might as well post here.

I never really gave much thought to religion until about a year and a half ago, when I actually sat down and gave it some serious thought.
Turns out, I was just unable to understand how anyone could believe in an invisible sky man, eternal life, and the eternal torture of people he did not like, but, my fear of being wrong kept me in check for a short while. Not long after that, a former friend of mine showed me the Darkmatter2525 Channel, and through that channel, I came across The Thinking Atheist, and several other channels. The videos I found from people like Seth, AronRa, and Non-Stamp Collector helped to show me just how much utter [Expletive Redacted] that some people take as fact, which finally broke down what little belief remained, and I have been an open atheist ever since.

Anyway, enough about that.
I will likely not post much for a short while, I don't feel as though I have lurked enough to be able to avoid sounding like a complete idiot.
Anyway, thanks for reading.

[Image: ulna.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Arm of Orion's post
30-01-2014, 08:57 PM
MickO here - avid listener to TTA (ermagherd, Seth has read TWO of my emails so far! Smile ) as well as TAE, Reasonable Doubts and TGIA. Life-long atheist living in Kansas City, but I'm really a transplant from secular haven Sweden.

My passion is truth, secularism, linux, astronomy, cosmology, and other things that sends your brain for a spin.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Welcome all Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-01-2014, 12:12 AM
(30-01-2014 03:58 PM)Arm of Orion Wrote:  Anyway, enough about that.
I will likely not post much for a short while, I don't feel as though I have lurked enough to be able to avoid sounding like a complete idiot.
Anyway, thanks for reading.

...welcome! And don't worry about sounding like an idiot. Dive right in. Just don't pretend you know more than you do, put your ego in a lead sealed jar, and you'll be fine.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
31-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Heya and welcome, Arm of Orion, how did you come about your moniker?

I ask because I have this weird sort of thing going on with the constellation Orion -- it seems (to me, anyway), that every time I look into the night sky, the first thing I see is Orion. Still trying to figure that out.....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
31-01-2014, 12:19 AM
(31-01-2014 12:17 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Heya and welcome, Arm of Orion, how did you come about your moniker?

I ask because I have this weird sort of thing going on with the constellation Orion -- it seems (to me, anyway), that every time I look into the night sky, the first thing I see is Orion. Still trying to figure that out.....

Try looking in a different direction. Glad to be of service.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
31-01-2014, 12:15 PM
(30-01-2014 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 09:25 PM)GwenB3 Wrote:  Thanks to the videos on this sight and others found on You Tube, I can now say, "right now, I am an atheist". I just can't tell my missionary parents, or Pentecostal ordained minister sister, or my facebook friends.

I'm a former conservative, fundamental, evangelical, creationist, turned atheist.
Most of my facebook friends know me from my time either as a regional Bible quizzing champ, or missionary, or Pastor's wife, or Christian Book Store owner, or homeschooler, or teen leader, etc, etc.

Welcome. I'd like to hear about your journey when you are ready to tell it.

Thank you, I've been writing a lot about it and hope to start sharing more. It's been an interesting journey.
31-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi there, I'm 41, half swiss half italian and I live in Switzerland. I'm still catholic on paper, but I have always been an atheist. Luckily in my country religion is not that important, and being atheist is quite common. A lot of people actually quit the church to avoid taxation. I didn't do it yet, because I'm lazy. I'm interested in the atheist movement in the USA, because I think that the country leading the scientific and technological progress in the world, should avoid to go back to the dark ages. I was born and raised in Italy, and I thought that catholicism was a little bit insane, but nothing prepared me to what is going on in America. Young Earth creationism was unknown to me, and intelligent design looked actually total moronic. Then I learned about all the quite crazy christian denominations, and the weirdests of all: the mormons. I have always laughed about Noah's Ark and other "out of the world" stories, but now I'm quite scared. I really don't wanna see America becoming a theocracy, and it may sounds weird, but I fear christian fundamentalists even more than Islam. I look forward to have nice and interesting conversations with folks from all over the world.

p.s. English is my third language, which I learned by myself in the last couple of years, so forgive me for sounding like a babbel fish without fins. :-)

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 3 users Like Alexandro's post
31-01-2014, 02:30 PM
(31-01-2014 02:16 PM)Alexandro Wrote:  Hi there, I'm 41, half swiss half italian and I live in Switzerland. I'm still catholic on paper, but I have always been an atheist. Luckily in my country religion is not that important, and being atheist is quite common. A lot of people actually quit the church to avoid taxation. I didn't do it yet, because I'm lazy. I'm interested in the atheist movement in the USA, because I think that the country leading the scientific and technological progress in the world, should avoid to go back to the dark ages. I was born and raised in Italy, and I thought that catholicism was a little bit insane, but nothing prepared me to what is going on in America. Young Earth creationism was unknown to me, and intelligent design looked actually total moronic. Then I learned about all the quite crazy christian denominations, and the weirdests of all: the mormons. I have always laughed about Noah's Ark and other "out of the world" stories, but now I'm quite scared. I really don't wanna see America becoming a theocracy, and it may sounds weird, but I fear christian fundamentalists even more than Islam. I look forward to have nice and interesting conversations with folks from all over the world.

p.s. English is my third language, which I learned by myself in the last couple of years, so forgive me for sounding like a babbel fish without fins. :-)

I think you did fine expressing yourself. Smile Welcome to the community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

31-01-2014, 02:31 PM
(31-01-2014 02:16 PM)Alexandro Wrote:  p.s. English is my third language, which I learned by myself in the last couple of years, so forgive me for sounding like a babbel fish without fins. :-)

And apparently found Douglas Adams in that time ? Well played. Welcome to the forum Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
Thread Closed