Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
18-06-2011, 06:11 PM

RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello,

I am a 66 year old retired Physicist. During these 66 years I lost any and all faith I may have ever had: in God (never believed in him/her/it since I was 14), in Humanity (on the path of self-destruction), in Progress (unless in the wrong direction), in science (seems to have reached the top of the pole -- tell joke later), in technology (too many gadgets to dumb people down with), in politics (it is the Mafia families and the rest of us), etc., etc., etc.

The only thing I have not lost faith in is love -- I love some individuals (human and animal), even though I despise my species.
18-06-2011, 07:25 PM
(18-06-2011 06:11 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Hello,

I am a 66 year old retired Physicist. During these 66 years I lost any and all faith I may have ever had: in God (never believed in him/her/it since I was 14), in Humanity (on the path of self-destruction), in Progress (unless in the wrong direction), in science (seems to have reached the top of the pole -- tell joke later), in technology (too many gadgets to dumb people down with), in politics (it is the Mafia families and the rest of us), etc., etc., etc.

The only thing I have not lost faith in is love -- I love some individuals (human and animal), even though I despise my species.

Welcome Physicist.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
19-06-2011, 04:40 AM

Cunningstuff - My name because I am not.

I am just posting the traditional traditional here, hello, all that jazz. I think the best description of me that is not physical, though it will allude to mental pictures, is a neanderthal idiot who found a book once, read it, and now is afflicted with disease called thinking.

Hopefully here, I can come to terms with my disease and find ways to help my handicapped self walk again.
19-06-2011, 05:22 AM

The joke I promised:

There is a long pole in the middle of the yard of the institute. The patients affix a board to the top of the pole, with a note on it, and climb the pole every day, one by one, read it, nod, then climb down. The doctors are burning with curiosity what the note says. Finally, one night, after the patients retire, one of the doctors climbs up the pole, reads the note, nods and then climbs down. “What does it say”? asks the other doctor. “It says: ‘this is the end of the pole, don’t try to climb any further’” the first doctors replies. They both nod and go home.
19-06-2011, 09:23 AM

(18-06-2011 09:18 AM)hughsie Wrote:  Was it the full ridiculous leaflet, complete with descriptions about how the lamb will lie with the wolf and humans and animals will all live in harmony when God rules on the Earth once more? Thats the one I got a while back. Gave me a good laugh before I binned it.

No in fact it was pretty crappy, just a few paragraphs about salvation and how your family can get into heaven if you join them. I fancy picking it out of the bin, stamping it with a big red D and handing it back to them next with with "Must try harder" scrawled on it.

Edit: Also hello to all who have posted above!
19-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Hey I'm Lee. I'm a 17 year old guy fixing to be senior in high school. I'm currently agnostic wondering about the validity of Christianity.

I was once a devout Christian,but my experience wasn't the best. I was hardcore religious from ages 13-16.I had a preacher tell me I needed to calm down.Towards the end of me being 16 I started going away from Christianity. Now I'm not a Christian,but I still pray and do things with it sometimes. I want to abandon it,but I can't find anything that debunks it completely.I came here hoping I could find some answers.
19-06-2011, 01:38 PM

(19-06-2011 11:38 AM)The Man Wrote:  Hey I'm Lee. I'm a 17 year old guy fixing to be senior in high school. I'm currently agnostic wondering about the validity of Christianity.

I was once a devout Christian,but my experience wasn't the best. I was hardcore religious from ages 13-16.I had a preacher tell me I needed to calm down.Towards the end of me being 16 I started going away from Christianity. Now I'm not a Christian,but I still pray and do things with it sometimes. I want to abandon it,but I can't find anything that debunks it completely.I came here hoping I could find some answers.
Suppose, for argument's sake, that you grew up in a world where nobody ever talked about gods or supernatural of any kind. Suppose you had an education where they taught you about nature, physics, scientific facts, technology, productive skills, social organization, project management, etc., etc, and no one ever mentioned anything that might even remotely suggest something that was not based on reliable experience and or logic.

No priests, no churches, no bibles, no superstition, no Santa Clauses, no tooth fairies, nothing but observable reality.

Would you have ever thought of anything outside this?

If your answer is "probably not", then you are a victim of brainwashing.
19-06-2011, 03:58 PM

(19-06-2011 01:38 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(19-06-2011 11:38 AM)The Man Wrote:  Hey I'm Lee. I'm a 17 year old guy fixing to be senior in high school. I'm currently agnostic wondering about the validity of Christianity.

Suppose, for argument's sake, that you grew up in a world where nobody ever talked about gods or supernatural of any kind. Suppose you had an education where they taught you about nature, physics, scientific facts, technology, productive skills, social organization, project management, etc., etc, and no one ever mentioned anything that might even remotely suggest something that was not based on reliable experience and or logic.

No priests, no churches, no bibles, no superstition, no Santa Clauses, no tooth fairies, nothing but observable reality.

Would you have ever thought of anything outside this?

If your answer is "probably not", then you are a victim of brainwashing.

Wow,nice point! Knowing my imagination though,I probably would have.I most likely would not have imagined up anything like the Christian God though, and I most definitely wouldnt have lived for whatever I imagined up.Way to make me thinkSmile
20-06-2011, 07:34 AM

I am a married mother of two that was raised in a Baptist home. I can't help but feel like I have been a prisoner to religion for years. Not yet sure if I am an atheist yet.
20-06-2011, 11:21 AM

I am a 50 yr old retired RN, I live in south Texas(help!) married for 28 yrs, three grown children(all atheists). I was raised in a strict catholic home and have struggled for years from the psychological fall out of religious lies. Thanks to Julia Sweeny and her lovely one woman show, Letting Go of God, that I was finally able to admit to myself the truth I had known all along, There is no god.
Thread Closed