Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
23-02-2014, 07:15 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello "Thinking Atheists"!
I am a mid-twenties graduate student. I was raised totally nonreligious and still am. I find religion immensely fascinating, maybe because it seemed so foreign to me when I began to "be exposed," so to speak (funny, I know it often works the other way and people "discover" atheism).
Anyway, looking forward to exploring the conversations happening here.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NitPickPocketeer's post
23-02-2014, 11:05 PM
"Hello" Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-02-2014, 11:25 PM
My name is Jenn and I'm a recovering bibleholic. Its been 18 months since I realized that the bible/religion is bull snot.
I'm in my mid 30's and I live in the North Eastern US. Sometimes I think quitting religion is like giving up drugs or booze. At least for me. Most days I know what a wad of bunk it all is but there are times I long for the simplicity of my old beliefs as well as the support and acceptance of my church community. At first I tried to keep my lack of belief to myself but as I watch people I care about succumb to delusion it is hard to keep silent.
Aside from the internet I have don't know any atheist in my personal life (at least any that I know of)Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes jennirn2005's post
24-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Jennirn2005,
I'm brand new here too, and although I can't relate to your struggles (raised nonreligious), I do sympathize. I'm glad you've found at least this online community, and I hope it does something good for you.

(23-02-2014 11:25 PM)jennirn2005 Wrote:  I'm in my mid 30's and I live in the North Eastern US. Sometimes I think quitting religion is like giving up drugs or booze. At least for me. Most days I know what a wad of bunk it all is but there are times I long for the simplicity of my old beliefs as well as the support and acceptance of my church community.
Darrel Ray's The God Virus is a popular contemporary atheist book, and he develops this concept that religious people are like alcoholics. Interested that you seem to agree! You might want to check it out if you're looking for resources (although it's not my favorite, in full disclosure).
[+] 1 user Likes NitPickPocketeer's post
25-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Hi guys, It's nice to know that there is somewhere I can escape from all the religious experiences within my life. My parents raised me without any deity to govern over us, and I was happy. My grandmother bless her, introduced me to Christ and my superstition meter went through the roof, which unfortunately led to me becoming momentarily mentally ill with OCD due to the constant threat I felt came from ''God.'' I still feel a little compulsive sometimes, and before I explored the Atheist community more freely I was scared for most of my late teen life. My teacher introduced the class to wicca and their practises and I tried as hard as I possible could to escape the constant thought that the ''spells'' were real. I was alone, and felt that the world was pretty ignorant to my personal threat. When my grandmother passed in early 2013, I rejected religion COMPLETELY. I should probably mention that my grandmother was a devoutly religious woman who never sinned at all in her life, and was suddenly stricken with cancer. I prayed to ''God'' countlessly to rescue her, but it was fruitless. So now, I'm an atheist and a bright, although I hate the term. Nice to meet you all.
[+] 1 user Likes Jarnorth's post
25-02-2014, 01:11 PM
welcome all! Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-02-2014, 01:28 PM
(25-02-2014 11:08 AM)Jarnorth Wrote:  Hi guys, It's nice to know that there is somewhere I can escape from all the religious experiences within my life. My parents raised me without any deity to govern over us, and I was happy. My grandmother bless her, introduced me to Christ and my superstition meter went through the roof, which unfortunately led to me becoming momentarily mentally ill with OCD due to the constant threat I felt came from ''God.'' I still feel a little compulsive sometimes, and before I explored the Atheist community more freely I was scared for most of my late teen life. My teacher introduced the class to wicca and their practises and I tried as hard as I possible could to escape the constant thought that the ''spells'' were real. I was alone, and felt that the world was pretty ignorant to my personal threat. When my grandmother passed in early 2013, I rejected religion COMPLETELY. I should probably mention that my grandmother was a devoutly religious woman who never sinned at all in her life, and was suddenly stricken with cancer. I prayed to ''God'' countlessly to rescue her, but it was fruitless. So now, I'm an atheist and a bright, although I hate the term. Nice to meet you all.

It is impossible to not sin.

Truth seeker.
25-02-2014, 01:41 PM
(25-02-2014 01:28 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  It is impossible to not sin.

Christ Rolleyes Jarnorth, meet our local wet dishrag.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-02-2014, 01:42 PM
(25-02-2014 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 01:28 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  It is impossible to not sin.

Christ Rolleyes Jarnorth, meet our local wet dishrag.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you how Christianity works.

Truth seeker.
25-02-2014, 02:07 PM
(25-02-2014 01:42 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  Christ Rolleyes Jarnorth, meet our local wet dishrag.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you how Christianity works.

Too late I'm afraid, but I'll give your dead ass some rep points for finally showing you've got a sense of humour Smile

Thread Closed