Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
25-02-2014, 08:11 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi @ all. I would not call myself an atheist. I cannot honestly say, that I know that god do not exist - I simply do not know. I came here because of a funny, frustrated and materialistic polemic against Yoga ("Yoga is Bullshit") - great fun Smile The Situation in Europe and the US differs very much, and its more to me to understand against what kind of Religion (or Logic) people opposing here. I studied Philosophy. Against Yoga I oppose, because of the murderous history of my Country (Germany) in context with Hinduism. Its the Philosophy and Religion of Hinduism I do not tolerate, concerning personal Responsibility (and other things). Himmler was a great fan of the Baghavadgita - it was about the slaughter of much people and the thing of a principle, which is not me, what does the killings - in order to negate personal responsibility. Like in this Text - like in 1933-45. A transformation of this principle you can call "F├╝hrer" - and such a principle is (in my Opinion) simply a lie. Sure: there is more influence on the Nazis (like Schellings Philosophy of Art or Spencerism, Racism in general and so on) than this - but it is a part. Btw: the Nazis hated Christianity - e. g. because in lutherian Protestantism (and many other Forms of christian Believe) you are responsible for that, what you do - in front of god. Its in this case not the materialistic Critique you all know: Hypocrisy, Money, lecherousness, wrong premises and so on. Societies where this is the glue (in nuce) I think are not worth to mention. I hope anyone understands of what i am talking about Smile I read here some arguments, which pointed out the bodily things in Yoga. Yes, hinduistic Religion differs much from Christianity - the bodily thing is not the subject of Christianity - its more Geist (I do not know a good translation for that Word), but it is to Hinduism. I also understand the pragmatic arguments, which are typical American (US-American), what means: i do it - it is good for me - why i should stop? Or: its good for many people - why stop? My Problem is more political. You can call me an Aristotelian Big Grin , but I believe, that what I do - is done by me. It looks like a Tautology, but this is what divides. There is no "principal" who raises my Hand or pulls the Trigger, and so on - its me. No Ataman, no Shiva, no Krishna, no Chi or whatever. But now I should read some texts from you.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Friendly Fire's post
26-02-2014, 04:59 AM
(25-02-2014 01:28 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:08 AM)Jarnorth Wrote:  Hi guys, It's nice to know that there is somewhere I can escape from all the religious experiences within my life. My parents raised me without any deity to govern over us, and I was happy. My grandmother bless her, introduced me to Christ and my superstition meter went through the roof, which unfortunately led to me becoming momentarily mentally ill with OCD due to the constant threat I felt came from ''God.'' I still feel a little compulsive sometimes, and before I explored the Atheist community more freely I was scared for most of my late teen life. My teacher introduced the class to wicca and their practises and I tried as hard as I possible could to escape the constant thought that the ''spells'' were real. I was alone, and felt that the world was pretty ignorant to my personal threat. When my grandmother passed in early 2013, I rejected religion COMPLETELY. I should probably mention that my grandmother was a devoutly religious woman who never sinned at all in her life, and was suddenly stricken with cancer. I prayed to ''God'' countlessly to rescue her, but it was fruitless. So now, I'm an atheist and a bright, although I hate the term. Nice to meet you all.

It is impossible to not sin.

She did not disobey the so called ten commandments, Which basically made up the purist sins. Obviously, I meant she did not disobey ANY of them. So no, she basically did not sin. Blush
26-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Hi, I'm Morten.
I am a Norwegian and therefore should not have any problems - right!
Have been following Seth for a while thru youtube and the shock it gives just to hear what he can tell as well as other fighting the good cause of reason about experiencing the extremism of Christians is making me aw.

In these neck of the woods it seems unreal

So - in normal discussion we tend to dismiss American's along with Muslim radicals.
It may seem harsh but in the ruff, I'm sorry, it's just so.

If anyone want to have my down to earth analysis of things they are welcome to contact me.
My English may not be perfect but I think we will be able to understand each others point of view.

It's all in good intention - so go for it.

PS: Congratulations on being #1 Seth - just loving it
[+] 1 user Likes mov's post
26-02-2014, 11:31 PM
My name is Chris,

I am a 41 year old Married father of 4 wonderful boys. I have considered myself a Realist (Atheist) since my early twenties. My family only occasionally went to church when I was a child so I was not indoctrinated into any particular form of Christianity. I did attend church as a teen and even was saved and baptized when I was 18. This did not prevent the doubts and constant search for the truth that I had always felt. By the time I was 21 I was open with anyone who wanted to approach the subject about my lack of belief. Obviously it didn't go over well with Grandparents and perhaps my parents a tad bit, but they never said much beyond a passing inquiry into what led me down this path of thought.

My wife (who is a christian) who I married at the age of 21 and whose church I was baptized in has always believed that I would someday come around. Only within the last couple of years have we had the blow up which was centered around our children. Initially I was blamed for my now 17 year old who began to question his belief system when he was about 15 and openly discussed his Atheism around 16. Obviously this did not sit well with my wife and opened the floor for discussion. We have thus far successfully navigated our differences.

I consider myself a seeker of knowledge and a Realist. I am fascinated with the cosmos and the quest to understand as much of it as my time on earth will allow.

No good introduction would be complete without my list of Hobbies: I enjoy Books, Movies, Podcasts, Music, Playing Guitar, Painting, spending time with my family, Traveling and the scientific search for the truth (regardless of the topic)
[+] 2 users Like muckrake's post
26-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Welcome, fellow heathens Smile (and nearly heathens)

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
27-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi.

I am 38 year old and I have been an Atheist since I was in my early 20's. I began to doubt the existing of God since I was a teenager. But being raised Catholic that created a lot of conflict within myself. It took several years to come to peace within myself and accept that fact that I was an Atheist. For many years I wondered alone in my "lack of belief" and recently I have noticed a lot of activity in the Atheist community.

My final conclusion to Atheism started by a spark fueled by inconsistencies in the Bible. Further research in history and other scientific facts finally led me to conclude that there was not any hell or anything to worry about. I felt free, as if a weight had been lifted of my shoulder, the idea I no longer had to live in fear from such ruthless God. So instead of fearing a God I began to think more on a human scale and began to view other people for the things, I as a human could do to them as opposed to be afraid of sacred retribution.

I am curious to read and share other Atheist opinions and takes on different subjects.

I don't dislike you, I simply don't care.
27-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Hi folks,

I am a 37 year old male atheist/agnostic/whatever from SouthEast Kansas. I say "agnostic/whatever" simply because I feel that, looking from a logical scientific standpoint, there are patterns even in randomness, so the idea that something more profound than my own person exists does not scare me. Being a scifi geek from practically infancy, I am quite fond of the "Ancient Astronauts being mistaken for Gods" type of rationale. Possibly even the idea that life itself was seeded here by outside elements on purpose.

Anyhow, I was raised a Catholic, which is a surefire way to raise an atheist (IMO). I feel the dogma and ritualism that most religions are steeped in are nothing more than methods to control and oppress our fellow humans.

Anyhow, glad to be a new part of the forum, and SUPER glad I stumbled across the podcast! Keep up the great work!

-Retro
[+] 1 user Likes retroviral's post
27-02-2014, 08:32 PM
I am a 43 year old married father of a 10 year old living in Spicewood TX but working in downtown Austin. I am so new to Atheism that I was not aware that the American Atheists 50th Anniversary convention took place just blocks from my office and I didn't even know it. I was not heavily religious and have always been science-minded but for some reason the light bulb didn't turn on until I read The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking which provided a plausible explanation for the Universe absent a creator.

In the 8 months since coming to non-belief, I've read The God Delusion, Why I Am Not A Christian, Deconverted, Lying, The Moral Landscape, Letter to a Christian Nation, God Is Not Great, A Universe From Nothing, Nonbeliever Nation, The Greatest Show on Earth, A Manual For Creating Atheists and Godless. I am loyal listener of TTA and Dogma Debate and greatly enjoy both.

I'm looking forward to any good opportunity to attend local talks by prominent figures in the secular movement.
28-02-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm an american that has way too much time to think on the job.
Might explain a lot......
28-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm an american that has way too much time to think on the job.
Might explain a lot......
Thread Closed