Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Hello from Houston
Greetings from Houston, TX. I'm a 24 year old cradle catholic. I have questioned the validity of god and the christian faith since i was very young. I was very curious by nature and applied my curiosity to almost everything. However religion is the latest subject to my scrutiny, first it was politics ( its scary how the two can intertwine) and I have been dealing with loosing my religion this past year or so... it kinda sucks because my family adheres to religion no questions asked and it can potentially cause distance between us, but me, i had to to be the different one.. i had to be so dam curious. Curiosity killed the cat, and my religion along with the cat...

Anyway as most of you know, Houston (east Texas) is very much a stronghold of christian fundamentalism, especially evangalical, southern baptist, pentacostal, etc... I've been clashing with the like ever since i moved here from florida in 2005. It started when i started dating a girl who of course, was predominantly southern baptist just as her family was. I was invited to several sunday services at their enormous 2nd baptist church. (geez, if the 2nd baptist church is this big, ide sure hate to see the 1st baptist church) and since then ive been pelted with millions of red flags and inconsistencies pertaining to the christian faith, specifically the bible which of course, is the centerpiece and the basis of the faith.

I inevitably took a stand against the protestant faith and became somewhat of an apologist for the catholic faith which i found to be not as bad because at least they stuck to traditional ritual instead of winging it on the alter like much of these baptist pastors did. But of course soon enough, as I inquired deeper and deeper on the christian faith, and religion in general, my scrutiny of religion eventually spread to include the catholic church as well.

I have not called myself a true atheist just yet, however i seem to be headed in that direction and I dont see any possible way of reversing myself, logic always seems to be the most powerful influence. I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything i have learned so far, but i have joined this site to see if i can reach out to others who may be going through the same thing. I have one foot over the threshold at this point, and because this is somewhat of a scary thing, maybe i need a little more encouragement in crossing the remaining foot over this threshold.

Thanks again. Good to be here. I hope..
20-06-2011, 04:51 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
No way Seabass86, get out of here.
Kidding. Nice to have you along. The numbers here have grown so much already since I joined not long ago. You're right when you talk of logic overcoming all. It really has that effect doesn't it. You just can't turn away from it. I often wonder why a God would create us with the capacity for logic if his vanity was so huge as to require absolute devotion and worship?
I hope you find some answers here as I have, but more importantly I hope you enjoy the community the forum has provided. Whether you are absolute in your opinion or not at all, it's a nice place to be.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2011, 10:49 PM

Hello,

I am a Christian turned Agnostic (would that make me a "born-again agnostic"?). About 2 years ago, I looked at the world and spirituality from a different perspective than what I was always taught (thanks Bill Maher and Zeitgeist). I'm not saying that I believe the way Bill Maher believes or everything that Zeitgeist teaches but rather they were the windows through which the universe (or multiverses) got so much bigger to me. Now, I just believe in what is.... well, whatever is.
Anyway, if there are any ex-christians that were pastors or youth workers, drop me a line. I think it would be interesting to swap stories of our "Fall from Grace" or whatever her name is.
20-06-2011, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2011 11:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-06-2011 11:21 AM)lou50 Wrote:  I am a 50 yr old retired RN, ...

Welcome Nurse!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi, I'm Starcrash
I'm a 31-year-old father from Maine, USA. I was a born-again Christian (non-denominational) until I was 19, at which point I discovered a serious disconnect between prayer and its results. Since then I've discovered many new things... sadly I didn't discover evolution until Richard Dawkins came out with The Greatest Show on Earth... but now I'm well-researched on theology, philosophy, and atheism.

I love research, I love learning, and I love applying the things I learn to argument. Nobody ever wants to debate me, but I like to think I could successfully argue for the existence of Santa Claus, so my unpracticed and unresearched friends are probably right to turn down invitations. But I'd like to do some debating here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 04:44 PM

(20-06-2011 10:49 PM)Riddling1 Wrote:  I'm not saying that I believe the way Bill Maher believes or everything that Zeitgeist teaches but rather they were the windows through which the universe (or multiverses) got so much bigger to me.

George Carlin was my window. No seriously, I just felt like listening to comedy one day and so I googled "top 10 comedians of all time". George Carlin was on the list so I fired up my Netflix and started watching some of his stand up. Remember, he's a comedian but most of the things that he said were so true, that when he finally did his "religion is b.s." routine, I had to further my research from there.

Dont get me wrong I've always been somewhat skeptical since a young age, but watching Carlin really motivated me to further my research. Smile
22-06-2011, 08:43 AM

(21-06-2011 04:44 PM)seabass86 Wrote:  George Carlin was my window. No seriously, I just felt like listening to comedy one day and so I googled "top 10 comedians of all time". George Carlin was on the list so I fired up my Netflix and started watching some of his stand up. Remember, he's a comedian but most of the things that he said were so true, that when he finally did his "religion is b.s." routine, I had to further my research from there.

Dont get me wrong I've always been somewhat skeptical since a young age, but watching Carlin really motivated me to further my research. Smile
Heh, nice to hear that I'm not the only one that was turned athiest by comedy. Doug Stanhope was my window to questioning faith (recommened for Carlins/Hicks fans but not suitable for everyone); before discovering him I was just another too-tolerant agnostic who didn't want to say anything anti-religious.

Nice to have you here mate, and wish you well on your path to understanding yourself better, even if you do live in the intolerant heartland of christian america.
22-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Brick RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Salutations,

I'm a 24 year old from outside of Chicago. I'm not even sure how I first found Thethinkingatheist, I'm sure it was stumbling upon a youtube video but I had liked the page on Facebook for months before I actually started to listen to the old podcasts and adore it.

I've been a huge fan of studying philosophy and religions for their odd intricacies.
23-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi, I'm a 21 year old Japanese language student living with my husband in Japan. I served in the military for 2 years (circumstances out of my control shortened my time in the service).

I've been a lifelong skeptic, but a more or less recent atheist.

I volunteer for MAAF (Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers).

I also absolutely love cats (=^.^=).

I want to be a CEO one day of a major international corporation.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
23-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Tongue RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello,

I am Blame Macho Inchworms, and no this is not my real name... or is it... I am in my twenties, and I never really believed the lie of religion no matter how hard I tried.

Blame Macho Inchworms
Thread Closed