Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
31-03-2014, 04:35 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, Karyn, in answer to your first question, you might look at the Insight Meditation movement, which generally practices non-denominational, non-dogmatic breathing meditation and does a lot of investigation into the non-superstitious teachings of the Buddha.

If you don't know anything about this sort of meditation, you might look at this e-book:

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf2/Mindfuln...review.pdf

It's short, very informative, non-religious and very easy to read.

You'll need Acrobat Reader, which pretty much everyone that sets foot on the internet usually winds up with in the first week.

The book in itself is enough to get you familiar with meditation if you are interested, I mention IM because groups are cropping up all over the place, and if doing sitting meditation in a group sounds like your thing (it's not mine), that might be an avenue to explore. They do get some superstitious Buddhist-religious-types in those groups, though, which is mostly OK because primarily what the groups do is sit in silent meditation so you don't have to actually listen to them talk, especially the Tibetan-types, but don't get me started on Tibetan "Buddhism", trust me.

Welcome to the forum.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-03-2014, 04:38 PM
(31-03-2014 04:33 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  Welcome all y'alls and enjoy your stay! Cookies are on the counter and the punch may or may not be spiked for your further enjoyment!

Well...you might want to be careful about just how much you eat of those brownies I brought in...they're cut up into bite-size pieces for a reason....heh...

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-03-2014, 05:27 PM
(31-03-2014 08:46 AM)living thing Wrote:  ...
My greetings to everyone.

Intro Of The Week Award goes to...

I couldn't even find a spelling mistake!

Bowing

31-03-2014, 05:31 PM
(31-03-2014 12:50 PM)raven48 Wrote:  I am looking for a place where I can have a reasonable discussion about belief. I am not a theist, by any stretch of the imagination, but, I would be ashamed to call myself an atheist in today's environment.

There's a mixed bag here.

Many are going through deconversion pain which is sometimes displayed angrily.

Others have got the T-shirt and might give the ennui-ridden one-liners.

And yet others might be the droids you are looking for.

Choose you discussions wisely and you'll have a good time here.

Welcome.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-03-2014, 05:38 PM
(31-03-2014 02:29 PM)Karyn Wolfe Wrote:  ...

a) Are there ways that aspects of religion -- albeit human-made and replete with horror -- is being used and appreciated by atheists? For instance, practices such as meditation ... and if there are people discussing the evolution of atheism, moving beyond reactivity.

b) Similarly, are atheists here discussing among themselves new personal psychologies that are rooted in a scientific worldview?

c) Lots of discussion about what we used to believe and why it is false. However, other than the general challenges of moving away from that, are there discussions going on about the more psychological aspects of having participated in such binary and psychologically warped thinking?

Yes and no to all the above.

I suggest that the best approach would be to get the discussions going.
See sections on e.g.
Recovering from Religion
Sciencey-threads
etc.

These discussion have been had before but the membership evolves so there's no problem having discussions with new people coming from different angles.

I'm looking forward to it.
Welcome aboard

31-03-2014, 05:46 PM
(31-03-2014 04:35 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Hi, Karyn, in answer to your first question, you might look at the Insight Meditation movement,

Hi, thank you for the response! I do know about Insight Meditation; in fact it is the only Buddhist practice that has been of interest to me because I don't want to get into the religious side. I read a wonderful book years ago called Buddhism without Beliefs that kind of set me me on that path.

I don't hear atheists talking much about that kind of thing on these discussion boards or from the stage, and wonder if it is because the interest in atheism is what brings people together here, and outside interests are so diverse they don't really make it into the conversation. For me, however, it's all about a lifelong quest to really create a meaningful life. Atheism or non-theism is just a worldview, a tool, that serves me in that process.

Thanks again and have a really wonderful day/night!
31-03-2014, 05:50 PM
(31-03-2014 05:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I suggest that the best approach would be to get the discussions going.
See sections on e.g.
Recovering from Religion
Sciencey-threads
etc.

These discussion have been had before but the membership evolves so there's no problem having discussions with new people coming from different angles.

I'm looking forward to it.
Welcome aboard
Thank you! It's nice to be welcomed. I will surf more to try to find my "tribe" among the thousands of members. Then I will see what trouble I can get into with some posting!! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Karyn Wolfe's post
31-03-2014, 08:28 PM
(31-03-2014 05:46 PM)Karyn Wolfe Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 04:35 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Hi, Karyn, in answer to your first question, you might look at the Insight Meditation movement,

Hi, thank you for the response! I do know about Insight Meditation; in fact it is the only Buddhist practice that has been of interest to me because I don't want to get into the religious side. I read a wonderful book years ago called Buddhism without Beliefs that kind of set me me on that path.

I don't hear atheists talking much about that kind of thing on these discussion boards or from the stage, and wonder if it is because the interest in atheism is what brings people together here, and outside interests are so diverse they don't really make it into the conversation. For me, however, it's all about a lifelong quest to really create a meaningful life. Atheism or non-theism is just a worldview, a tool, that serves me in that process.

Thanks again and have a really wonderful day/night!

Well, you're kind of in luck here. I know a little, and I think you'll soon meet Compassion4Life, who is a practicing, non-superstitious Buddhist.

Have you heard of Buddhadasa Bhikku or his protege, Santikaro? BB espoused the Buddha's original teachings, which are entirely non-superstitious (which most Buddhists dont realize). You might Google his "Handbook for Mankind", which is also available free on the net at http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddasa.pdf‎

31-03-2014, 08:41 PM
(31-03-2014 08:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Well, you're kind of in luck here. I know a little, and I think you'll soon meet Compassion4Life, who is a practicing, non-superstitious Buddhist.

Have you heard of Buddhadasa Bhikku or his protege, Santikaro? BB espoused the Buddha's original teachings, which are entirely non-superstitious (which most Buddhists dont realize). You might Google his "Handbook for Mankind", which is also available free on the net at http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddasa.pdf‎

Thanks, again!!!
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM
(31-03-2014 08:41 PM)Karyn Wolfe Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 08:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Well, you're kind of in luck here. I know a little, and I think you'll soon meet Compassion4Life, who is a practicing, non-superstitious Buddhist.

Thanks, again!!!

Sure thing!

You also might want to look at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Buddhadhamma-Suny-...0791426327

Thread Closed