Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
01-04-2014, 05:08 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(31-03-2014 05:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... I couldn't even find a spelling mistake!
Thanks for such kind words, although I'd be surprised if there weren't any.

I am looking forward to learning all your perspectives about the picturesque universe in which we live.

Have a great day!
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2014, 07:49 AM
(31-03-2014 08:46 AM)living thing Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I am a thing capable of extracting information from the matter in motion around me, and using some of that information to increase the stability of my physical structure in a universe that is constantly changing; I am, in one word, alive.

But my physical structure isn't perfectly stable. As time progresses, every thing in the universe moves in relation to most other things, and the bits and pieces in my body that provide that capability are no exception; they are slowly but steadily moving away from the locations where they convey such capability, despite all my efforts to prevent so. My genes accumulate changes most of which are detrimental to their functions; the proteins I build with them are less and less effective as I grow older, and the programs that my cells execute (as sequential cascades of gene expression) are more likely to miss steps as my unstable genes become less and less recognisable by the molecules that need to bind to them, with who knows what random effects. There will come a time when I will lose the ability to extract information from reality and use it in the benefit of my own stability, and once I do, I will disintegrate at a rate that will depend greatly on the conditions of the environment around my lifeless body. But I won't have any notion of it, because I will have lost the ability to extract information from reality. Meanwhile, my intention is to enjoy life as much as I can.

Some people in my surroundings think that I should thank an abstraction in their minds for my ability to live, and they go as far as claiming that I will encounter that abstraction once my oxygen-depleted nerve cells are unable to regenerate the electrochemical potential across their membranes that they need in order to propagate a change in that potential (that is, a nervous impulse) from my sensory organs to my brain and from my brain to the effector cells in my muscles and glands. But that simply makes no sense and the people who make such claims often know little about biology other than where to put their thing in order to make more children, so I don't generally take "their" suggestions seriously. They, however, take them very seriously because they fear the abstraction's twisted sense of love. I enclosed the word "their" in quotation marks because it is seldom their suggestions; they most often get "their" ideas from books that date from the time when human beings hardly knew anything about anything, or from the interpretation of those books that some ingenious bastard provides today for his or her personal profit.

I was born on this planet about 40 years ago, and I am therefore administratively assigned to one of those artificial and abstract things they call countries, but that is only circumstantial and no one wouldn't gain any knowledge about me by reading the label attached to the country, so I will not even mention it because I find it irrelevant. My genes, however, are meiotically compatible only with the human subset of living beings, so I will say that I am of the human species, which I find more relevant than countries of origin and/or residence. I do not care whether people are English, Chinese, Egyptian, Congolese, Unitedstatesians or Antarctic (although that would definitely be cool). I care about whether people see humanity as a tool for their own enrichment, or whether they see themselves as a tool for the enrichment of humanity.

Because I think of humanity as a potential superorganism capable of unimaginable feats if we only helped each other to achieve them. Just like my whole body is a structure capable of much greater feats than any one of my cells considered separately. My cells do not compete against each other to show which one is the best cell; if they did, I would have probably died before I was a blastula. And if we only learned the value of mutual cooperation, for the benefit of the whole humanity (and many non-human beings that can provide their help too), we would all gain a lot from the effort, just like our cells (including non-human cells such as bacteria in our intestines) gain a lot from our existence.

However, I am stuck in a planet where a large proportion of the "clever" species compete for their personal "greatness", or for the "greatness" of their artificial countries and/or gods, and where some will go as far as diverting collective resources for the benefit of their own reproductive lines, just like the cells in a growing tumour do. Poor humanity, it is rotten with cancer even before it has become aware of its own existence.

But hey, it's God's plan, and he/she/it knows what he/she/it's doing because he/she/it is such an intelligent designer, that he/she/it has made life greatly dependant on the nuclear fusion happening inside the Sun, but he/she/it has only put there a limited amount of hydrogen able to fuse into heavier isotopes and chemical elements; what a clever plan. Aren't we all lucky?

Will there be things that call themselves "humans" once this planet is unable to sustain life? I don't know, I see it feasible but it depends entirely on the intelligence displayed by humanity as a collective. If we manage to kill ourselves for the "glory" of our own invented abstractions, or if we do not learn enough about life to be able to export it outside the Solar System, because we prefer to read ancient books instead, then I guess there will not be things that call themselves "humans" once this planet is unable to sustain life. Maybe even long before this planet becomes unhabitable. But there may be other things, and those things' archaeologists -or whatever they choose to call them- may be able to learn from our mistakes, so even if we manage to cause our own extinction, we may not turn out to be entirely useless.

In summary, I am a living thing that does not believe in the existence of abstractions outside our minds, that does not believe in geographic segregation and mutual competition as the road to our peaceful coexistence, and who thinks that exporting life to other stellar systems before this one becomes inhospitable is more useful than buying the most elaborate grave in the cemetery.

My greetings to everyone.

Quite an intro. Welcome to the forum. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2014, 08:11 AM
(31-03-2014 02:53 PM)Karyn Wolfe Wrote:  Hi Raven,

See my introduction post today for my thoughts on communicating. What subjects are you interested in discussing?

Karyn
What was the trigger that brought you out of the darkness? Was it a sudden flash on the road to Damascus, or was it a gradual process? Reason for asking: Logic and reason will not work on the True Believers, but there must be a way into their heads. As for as meditation, with a non-religious context, I suggest taking up a sport that pits you against you. Golf,, archery, or target shooting are some suggestions. To get competent, one has to focus and shut out outside influences. From my spies, I understand that yoga is really good for inward focus, as well.
[+] 1 user Likes raven48's post
03-04-2014, 01:59 PM
39 year young lady from VA, not ashamed of my age nor views lol. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like EyeToLensToPage's post
03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm 35 and from an annoyingly small town in west Texas, and only recently comfortable with affixing the label "atheist" to myself. I went through a fairly adventurous ten year journey to reach the point where I'm at now, from skeptical believer to unwavering non-believer. (which included stops at a couple of pretty hardcore evangelical churches in an attempt to "fit in" with my first wife's family)

I stumbled across The Thinking Atheist podcasts and this website a little by accident but I am certainly glad I did. The annoyingly small town I live in makes it rather hard to believe (or not believe, as is the case) in the way that I do in anything resembling an open way. So a place like this is definitely a welcome sight.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
[+] 5 users Like September's post
04-04-2014, 12:17 PM
(01-04-2014 07:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Drinking Beverage
Thanks!
04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the forum all the new people, I'm sure what ever it is you are looking for some one here will be able to help.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
(03-04-2014 01:59 PM)EyeToLensToPage Wrote:  39 year young lady from VA, not ashamed of my age nor views lol. Big Grin

(03-04-2014 05:33 PM)September Wrote:  Hello everyone.

I'm 35 and from an annoyingly small town in west Texas, and only recently comfortable with affixing the label "atheist" to myself. I went through a fairly adventurous ten year journey to reach the point where I'm at now, from skeptical believer to unwavering non-believer. (which included stops at a couple of pretty hardcore evangelical churches in an attempt to "fit in" with my first wife's family)

I stumbled across The Thinking Atheist podcasts and this website a little by accident but I am certainly glad I did. The annoyingly small town I live in makes it rather hard to believe (or not believe, as is the case) in the way that I do in anything resembling an open way. So a place like this is definitely a welcome sight.

Welcome to the forum, both of you ! Hope to hear more from you in the near future. Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
(04-04-2014 12:30 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, both of you ! Hope to hear more from you in the near future. Thumbsup

Thanks for the welcome. It's always a little odd at first settling into a new forum, figuring out where and when to jump into discussions and the like. But it should be fun all the same. :-)

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
04-04-2014, 12:39 PM
(04-04-2014 12:33 PM)September Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 12:30 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, both of you ! Hope to hear more from you in the near future. Thumbsup

Thanks for the welcome. It's always a little odd at first settling into a new forum, figuring out where and when to jump into discussions and the like. But it should be fun all the same. :-)

Yeah, it takes a little time to get used to this place, you might say its a very diverse crowd... to say the least. You'll do just fine. Smile

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Thread Closed