Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
05-04-2014, 05:57 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm a teenage atheist who has grown up my whole life around fairly moderate Catholics and has had the luck of attending a very good public school system in southeastern Louisiana. For as long as I can remember, I've been quite liberal when it comes to most things but it was only last year when my 8th grade school year was over, that I decided to identify as atheist. I never really compared my Catholic beliefs to the things I read as a child about astronomy and the age of the universe, etc. (I have always been VERY involved in science and have always loved it.) and I was pretty ignorant when it came to fundamentalist Christians and their radical beliefs about a young earth and stuff like that. Anyway, I love debating people with opposing viewpoints, mainly on things like religion, and politics, I can be quite aggressive when it comes to anyone spewing hatred, misrepresenting someone, spreading lies, and stuff of that sort. I am confident that I will find many things that interest me on this forum and I am sure my time here will be well spent. Best wishes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
(05-04-2014 05:57 PM)TokyoRoyalty Wrote:  I'm a teenage atheist who has grown up my whole life around fairly moderate Catholics and has had the luck of attending a very good public school system in southeastern Louisiana. For as long as I can remember, I've been quite liberal when it comes to most things but it was only last year when my 8th grade school year was over, that I decided to identify as atheist. I never really compared my Catholic beliefs to the things I read as a child about astronomy and the age of the universe, etc. (I have always been VERY involved in science and have always loved it.) and I was pretty ignorant when it came to fundamentalist Christians and their radical beliefs about a young earth and stuff like that. Anyway, I love debating people with opposing viewpoints, mainly on things like religion, and politics, I can be quite aggressive when it comes to anyone spewing hatred, misrepresenting someone, spreading lies, and stuff of that sort. I am confident that I will find many things that interest me on this forum and I am sure my time here will be well spent. Best wishes!
Welome, dude!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Hello Fellow atheists,

I'm a 25 year old that grew up in a tung speaking, prophesying, flag waving church in Oregon. Left christianity about two years ago and just recently became atheist. I'm still in the closet though unfortunately.To add to the mix I'm a libertarian that loves guns, hunting, fishing and conspiracy theories. Been listening to the podcast for about a year, Love it!
06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
(05-04-2014 02:05 PM)coffeenvodka Wrote:  Hey Everyone,

I'm Doug/las. I became an Atheist the old fashioned way; by being dragged to church every Sunday for 18 years. Like many here I only had to spend about a dozen of those in Sunday school, due to an over-inquisitive nature. To this day (am currently 49) I celebrate everyday of my life by not eating my veggies and every Sunday by waking up very very late... Big Grin

Happy to be here,

Happy to have you, welcome. Smile

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Another non believer
I think I have need an atheist for a very long time but just did not affirm it to myself. Now that I have I now attend an atheist church (oxymoron perhaps) and have been watching a lot of youtubes of Christopher Hitchens, Richars Dawkins, Sam Harris and others. I think there is hope for civilization if we can all be led out and away from the mythologies.
06-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Hello.

I live in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. I was raised in a conservative protestant-leaning Christian household, went to preschool located in a baptist church, went to a private Baptist school (all creationism, all the time) from kindergarten until the middle of my sophomore year of high school, and then switched to public school for the remainder of high school.

I started attending a Church Of God church (charismatic denomination based out of Knoxville, TN) when I was 12 and then went to Assemblies Of God church from the time I was 18 until I was 22 or somewhere around there, and was then involved in a house church group for a couple of years until the middle of 2011.

During those last couple of years I started reading a lot of theology. First I started with conservative theology, then more liberal theology, eventually branching out to philosophy and the sciences.

I didn't realize it was happening at the time, but my belief had slowly been eroding away, and every day I was noticing more and more just how absurd some of the things the people around said, did, and believed really were.

Anyway, to make an already long post shorter than it could be, I've considered myself an atheist for the last year or so (I'll be 27 in 4 months).

I don't really talk about it with anyone that I'm close to, except for my girlfriend. My parents still attend the Church Of God church, and most of my family is conservative protestant and one branch is extremely conservative Catholic. Anyway, I've decided to wait until my 79 year old grandmother passes to come out to the rest of my family. My mom is the kind of person who, while she might disagree, still accepts people for who they are. The rest of my family I don't see that much anyway, so I don't really mind what they think. I just don't want my grandmother to find out because I'm pretty sure it would kill her sooner, and she already has enough on her plate. While she doesn't say much about it to me, she is the sort who watches (and agrees with) John Hagee (Look him up. He's horrifying.) and the like.

I guess that's it for now. Sorry that was so long.

I just found TheThinkingAtheist podcast a few weeks ago, and have been listening to back episodes non-stop since then. I'm glad to join the community. Smile
07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
I'll leave my name out for safety reasons. I am a new member who has been listening to the podcasts for a few weeks. I am from TN, live in a family of believers, but I no longer believe. I have not "come out" because I am worried about the damage it would do to my marriage and because I think my kids would not understand. Anyway, I'm glad to have found TTA, and I'm hoping to participate in discussions I can't have with the people I physically live around.

DD
07-04-2014, 02:11 PM
(07-04-2014 01:46 PM)dogerdog Wrote:  I'll leave my name out for safety reasons. I am a new member who has been listening to the podcasts for a few weeks. I am from TN, live in a family of believers, but I no longer believe. I have not "come out" because I am worried about the damage it would do to my marriage and because I think my kids would not understand. Anyway, I'm glad to have found TTA, and I'm hoping to participate in discussions I can't have with the people I physically live around.

DD

Welcome to the forum, there are many here who are not out as it where, and there are usually quite a few around who can help if you need it.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello fellow members,

I've been a (closet) atheist for about a month and a half and I've finally decided to join this community. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing things with like minded people and maybe making new friends (it never hurts!).

I grew up in a catholic sect/fundamentalist group my whole family is a part of. Even as a child I always rejected their hatefull and unscientific teachings and I tried to make sense of the rest, but until very recently I still believed in a few things. Maybe I didn't want to see that all the suffering the sect had caused me was for absolutly nothing since God didn't exist, or maybe I was just lazy and didn't bother to go all the way in my reasonings...
I'm still in the closet because I'm not independent yet, and also because I'm afraid of the reaction of the people close to me; but hopefully I will be a proud atheist soon(ish)!

On a more personnal level I love to read (literature, fantasy, science-fiction, YA etc), watch tv shows (comedy, drama, action, science-fiction), try and grow plants, discover new things about the universe and the world, and have interesting debates.

Have a nice day!
[+] 3 users Like ToTheStars's post
08-04-2014, 02:00 PM
(08-04-2014 12:17 PM)ToTheStars Wrote:  Hello fellow members

Welcome Smile *Brilliant* username Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.