Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(08-04-2014 02:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 12:17 PM)ToTheStars Wrote:  Hello fellow members

Welcome Smile *Brilliant* username Smile

Thank you! Smile As for my chosen username it's the first thing that came to mind at the time and since i liked it, I decided to go with it. The *bright* side of my choice is that my name now compliments my new star! Do you know how I got one and its meaning? I've only managed to find one thread that explains a few things to newbies (Forum Rules, Recommendations, and Members by Hughsie http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nd-Members) but it didn't mentionned anything about stars, just a few basic things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2014, 11:18 PM
(08-04-2014 03:37 PM)ToTheStars Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 02:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile *Brilliant* username Smile

Thank you! Smile As for my chosen username it's the first thing that came to mind at the time and since i liked it, I decided to go with it. The *bright* side of my choice is that my name now compliments my new star! Do you know how I got one and its meaning? I've only managed to find one thread that explains a few things to newbies (Forum Rules, Recommendations, and Members by Hughsie http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nd-Members) but it didn't mentionned anything about stars, just a few basic things.

I ain't got no clue. I got mine for livin' here forever and for bein' a former mod who hung up his edit button, far as I can tell. More you post, more you get AFAIK Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Hi to all,

I'm Jeff, I'm 53, from the midwest (U.S.) but live in Miami right now.

I've enjoyed the podcast for months but would also like the interaction forums bring.

Be well!

Jeff
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Hello,

My name is Jae and I am a 33 year old male who has been a non-believer ever since I reached puberty. The notion that there exists a god is very stupid in my opinion. I am not belligerent towards all the religious of any faith, since there I don't want to force my opinions on others, but I will judge the religious as a lesser in terms of the mind. I told a girl during my formative years that I did believe, and she absolutely blew up and the rest of kids in the class at the time all scolded me that, "You're going to hell!" without considering any other options. That's all I'll say about that.

To elaborate on the evolution of my non-belief, I was an agnostic until my senior year of high school when I began to understood calculus, a much more pure form of logic and reason which in my mind is less subjective than the typical.

It is great to join this community of thinkers and non-believers, but I do not label myself as an atheist. The notion of a non-theist grants the notion that a deity exists, said right in the word. As the great Christopher Hitchens said, "There is no word for a person who doesn't believe in Santa Claus." therefore, there should not be a word for a non-believer of any faith.

I am open to the belief of a God when there is proof! As Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof!"

I think the notion that we are an existence in this amazing universe or multi-verse, is an good enough in terms of the ontological aspects of our lives. The notion that we were star dust is fascinating! Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen, was and is theoretically created in a soup of particles with immense density in an unimaginable burst of energy! That itself is pure awesomeness! How can a burning bush be more fascinating that that? But I digress.

People are not always rational. I am not always rational. But at least I can grow to be better instead of seeing reality as I want to see it.

Oh man! Had to get that off my chest!

With this site, I hope to contribute to debates and learn more about, well, more!

Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Jbuzz's post
09-04-2014, 01:49 PM
(09-04-2014 11:44 AM)Jbuzz Wrote:  The notion that we were star dust is fascinating! Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen, was and is theoretically created in a soup of particles with immense density in an unimaginable burst of energy! That itself is pure awesomeness! How can a burning bush be more fascinating that that?

This, right here. Whenever someone looks at a non-believer with that air of "What do you have to be in awe of without God?" I think of this. The simple realization of that is the closest thing to a "spiritual" experience that I know of.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
[+] 3 users Like September's post
09-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Hello All,

I am 31 now I tried to come out as an Atheist when I was 12, but my family and friends told me I was too young to understand what this meant. For believing in Jesus I was apparently the right age and what I tried to tell them was simply ignored. The name I chose is for my outlook on life afraid of neither the joy of living or the fear of dying.
Ride or die people live your life to it's fullest after all you only get one. I currently own and enjoy riding a 2001 Kawasaki ZR7S and have finally convinced my family I am and have been a proud Atheist. I am glad to see how many others have realized such a profound truth in such a religion dominated world.

Best Regards,
Trent Landwehr
10-04-2014, 12:24 PM
(09-04-2014 08:07 PM)SuicideRider Wrote:  Hello All,

I am 31 now I tried to come out as an Atheist when I was 12, but my family and friends told me I was too young to understand what this meant. For believing in Jesus I was apparently the right age and what I tried to tell them was simply ignored. The name I chose is for my outlook on life afraid of neither the joy of living or the fear of dying.
Ride or die people live your life to it's fullest after all you only get one. I currently own and enjoy riding a 2001 Kawasaki ZR7S and have finally convinced my family I am and have been a proud Atheist. I am glad to see how many others have realized such a profound truth in such a religion dominated world.

Best Regards,
Trent Landwehr

Sup fellow rider! I ride, track ride, and race 2008 cbr600rr.
10-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm not really a new atheist, but I'm new to admitting it to myself. I'm in my twenties (female), and from a very staunch Catholic family. Most of my friends are Christians. My partner is an atheist, but his beliefs have had little to do with my "conversion." mostly, I stopped ignoring the nagging doubts that I've had for years.

I have not come out as an atheist to my friends and family and am not sure if I can. I've started a blog very recently with the hope of reaching other people like me who are perhaps afraid of entertaining their doubts. http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being part of this community.
[+] 2 users Like 31:25's post
10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Welcome all! Enter intelligent discourse, listen to podcasts, giggle at pointless posts, like mine, and generally enjoy yourself, I know I enjoy this little warm spot of reality on the web and I am sure you will too.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens
11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi
I'm a former music /youth group leader in liberal Protestant churches in Southern California. I retired after almost 40 years. Out of that business for about a week I was willing to admit to myself out lout that I didn't believe in anything I'd been singing / composing for most of my life.

I read a hundred books on Freethought subjects, listened to podcasts, went to talks and watched hours of online debates and talks from well known and little known atheists.

I'm running AV for Seth tomorrow in San Diego - really looking forward to meeting him.

... And you all.

Paul

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes Paulsven's post