Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
11-04-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(11-04-2014 08:43 PM)Paulsven Wrote:  Hi
I'm a former music /youth group leader in liberal Protestant churches in Southern California. I retired after almost 40 years. Out of that business for about a week I was willing to admit to myself out lout that I didn't believe in anything I'd been singing / composing for most of my life.

I read a hundred books on Freethought subjects, listened to podcasts, went to talks and watched hours of online debates and talks from well known and little known atheists.

I'm running AV for Seth tomorrow in San Diego - really looking forward to meeting him.

... And you all.

Paul

Welcome, awesome pic, and have fun tomorrow!! Big Grin Thumbsup

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 11:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-04-2014 08:43 PM)Paulsven Wrote:  Hi
I'm a former music /youth group leader in liberal Protestant churches in Southern California. I retired after almost 40 years. Out of that business for about a week I was willing to admit to myself out lout that I didn't believe in anything I'd been singing / composing for most of my life.

I read a hundred books on Freethought subjects, listened to podcasts, went to talks and watched hours of online debates and talks from well known and little known atheists.

I'm running AV for Seth tomorrow in San Diego - really looking forward to meeting him.

... And you all.

Paul

Like the glasses and the hair. Thumbsup Other dude just looks all stodgy and shit. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
12-04-2014, 08:00 PM
New old guy, just joined (and that is all that is new about me). I have a kaleidoscopic past but a common thread has been a deep persistent desire to understand. Although I consider myself an atheist, I do not identify with atheists in general as I perceive their beliefs an alternate form of religious belief. That said, I look forward to objectively considering all points of view.
12-04-2014, 08:08 PM
(12-04-2014 08:00 PM)Payntr Wrote:  New old guy, just joined (and that is all that is new about me). I have a kaleidoscopic past but a common thread has been a deep persistent desire to understand. Although I consider myself an atheist, I do not identify with atheists in general as I perceive their beliefs an alternate form of religious belief. That said, I look forward to objectively considering all points of view.

Welcome. Since you consider yourself an atheist, what separates other atheists from yourself?

Are they simply doing it wrong?

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

13-04-2014, 09:11 PM
(09-04-2014 07:16 AM)JECfromMC Wrote:  Hi to all,

I'm Jeff, I'm 53, from the midwest (U.S.) but live in Miami right now.

I've enjoyed the podcast for months but would also like the interaction forums bring.

Be well!

Jeff

Welcome. If you are in Miami then you are officially the closest forum member to me Thumbsup

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi. I've been an atheist for about 4-5 years. I'm a member of an atheist group in KY and have listened to the podcast for a while and thought I'd join the forum.
15-04-2014, 12:55 PM
15-04-2014, 02:15 PM
(15-04-2014 12:55 PM)raven48 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 11:54 PM)Karyn Wolfe Wrote:  Hi Raven,
Good question! For me, it was totally a gradual process, and I've been reflecting lately that it was a very emotional one,
What about you?
Karyn,
I was brought up Catholic, with all the necessary attached guilt. However, I kept asking questions. I went to a Jesuit high school, and that put the final nail in the coffin. The Jesuit tradition of casuistry, scientific reasoning, and theological dispute did it. The issue was tha the arguments for god just stopped making sense, and there was no amount of rationalizing that could change it. I am currently looking for a method of penetrating the thunderbolting theist mentality, with the primary hope that they will leave me and mine alone.

Hi Raven Smile Fixed your post - we find if you get the wrong number of opening quote and /quote tags it doesn't display.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm a survivor of 12 years of Catholic schooling. During my school years I remember I didn't buy what the nuns and later brothers were teaching about the Catholic faith. Since the 1980's I've been very interested in the whole creationism thing. I think the is too much of religion in our lives and our schools. I am glad, however, to see a growing group of non-believers coming along and although we lost a great voice for rationalism in Christopher Hitchens, we have many more taking up the call, so to speak. I have a blog, rongodin.blogspot.com, in which I give my views on everything. I welcome comments.

Thanks

Ron
15-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Smile RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Happy to be hanging with free thinking, forever wondering and eagerly searching people!